Notices

Old 11-12-2009, 08:36 AM   #1
Johan_ZA
Johan_ZA began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Unhappy Kindle Content Location Restrictions

Hi.
Great Site and now a Question.
i have just gotten my shiny new Kindle and gotten some eBooks to read.
searching the amazon library i see a lot of books that have regional restrictions attached (quite a few of the books that i want!). i was wondering what effect it would have changing my location to the US? the restrictions make no sense to me at all.

Any info would be appreciated.

Johan
South Africa
Johan_ZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:53 AM   #2
hel
Sorceress
hel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to behold

Device: Onyx Air2&Nova 3C,Kindle oasis1,Kobo Forma,iPad pro 12.9&9.7,and more.
You could change your location to any valid US address. Then you'll be able to purchase or download samples of electronic books (of course, non-paper only) , get them to your computer and then transfer to your Kindle via USB. For me this is the only way to use an amazon store . Canada is also out of range for Kindles btw

Last edited by hel; 11-13-2009 at 09:56 AM.
hel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2009, 05:18 PM   #3
jeppevedel
jeppevedel began at the beginning.

can you tell me, I live in Denmark and the problem here is that when I subscribe to a newspaper or Magazine I will not get the pictures, when you change the address to a valid US one are the pictures included in the file you download to your cpu???
jeppevedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:26 AM   #4
Jonas777
Groupie
Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2 Intl
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeppevedel View Post
can you tell me, I live in Denmark and the problem here is that when I subscribe to a newspaper or Magazine I will not get the pictures, when you change the address to a valid US one are the pictures included in the file you download to your cpu???
Be careful when trying to get around such limitations. If the result is that Amazon has to pay a lot for the wireless they will probably shut it down completely.
Jonas777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:24 AM   #5
Johan_ZA
Johan_ZA began at the beginning.

Thanks for the feedback. Does any body live in the UK and have they experainced similar restrictions?
Johan_ZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2009, 06:28 AM   #6
Brandis
Brandis began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle International
If found some books that were only available in the US. I then changed my location to a US adress and could order them without a problem and they were delivered via Whispernet as normal. Only difference is that the $1.99 international delivery fee is charged seperatly. Apparently, they do not check the credit card, since I use a regular CC from Switzerland.

What I noticed though is that the country setting switches back to Switzerland after a while, maybe still linked with the CC information?

But at least I get to order all the books I want and I don't think Amazon is losing money on it since they charge the additional delivery fee, which if I order with my regular adress as a Non-US customer is included in the book price I think.
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 01:12 PM   #7
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeppevedel View Post
I've not tried subscribing to any magazines myself, however, I remember from some of the user comments on Amazon (you might like to take a look at those relevant to your subscription) that images simply weren't part of the Kindle subscription. I.e. it should not be a geographical issue. You could always try to change your address and download the magazine. If you do it wirelessly, you may be charged an international roaming download fee.

The ebook library application, calibre, can handle download and creation of a number of papers and magazines based on their RSS feeds. I've asked myself for a Jyllandsposten feed - it's not there yet, and I don't know if it will be. I guess it depends on the RSS feed. The functionality is based on a Python script - I don't know that language and have been hesitant to try out things I think there's a 'sticky' thread in the calibre forum section of this site about custom recipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandis View Post
But at least I get to order all the books I want and I don't think Amazon is losing money on it since they charge the additional delivery fee, which if I order with my regular adress as a Non-US customer is included in the book price I think.
At least the price difference between the US zone and the Europe zone for certain books have left most to believe that it's mainly there to cover the download charge. It seems the best guess to me

There's another way round the geo zone issue (at least it should be, I haven't tried it myself yet), and that is to buy an Amazon gift card, create a new account and attach the gift card along with a valid USA address - i.e. don't attach a credit card. And then attach the Kindle to that account. I would assume though, that the international roaming fee kicks in, so download to your computer and transfer via USB to the Kindle.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:51 AM   #8
mo-g
mo-g began at the beginning.

Device: none
contact me johan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan_ZA View Post
Hi.
Great Site and now a Question.
i have just gotten my shiny new Kindle and gotten some eBooks to read.
searching the amazon library i see a lot of books that have regional restrictions attached (quite a few of the books that i want!). i was wondering what effect it would have changing my location to the US? the restrictions make no sense to me at all.

Any info would be appreciated.

Johan
South Africa

hi johan,

did u manage to sort this out? im in johannesburg and am thinking of buying a k2 but was worried about the same thing. please let me know.
mo-g is offline   Reply With Quote