Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-15-2009, 04:28 AM   #1
Argel
Opinionated [but right]
Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS 505, Kindle International, HTC Desire
Cracking story

Interesting to see how this one turns out...

Amazon sued for cracking Kindles
Argel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:49 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Thanks for the info.

I WILL NOT BUY A PROTECTIVE COVER THAT AMAZON MAKES!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2009, 07:01 AM   #3
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Wrong...

I will not buy a device that amazon makes...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 07:02 AM   #4
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Interesting. As it seems Beth Terrell is specialized in class actions.
I wonder whether Sony will be next. There are reports and rumors that their cover with light can cause damages to the screen too.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 07:26 AM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's often not the problem that it "can" create, but rather that it does and people weren't warned about it.

For instance, if Amazon had said not to open the cover backwards (no idea what I have picture with that...) because it can harm your Kindle, you'd get less problems.

(the fact that that supervisor apparently had said that those cracks are common, though, changes the entire case, the cover apparently does have a flaw in that case)
Advert
Old 07-15-2009, 09:07 AM   #6
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Should be interesting to see how this all plays out...
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 12:52 PM   #7
chaznsc
Connoisseur
chaznsc began at the beginning.

Device: Mine
That "cracks" me up......sorry, I HAD to go there.
chaznsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 01:32 PM   #8
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
That shows some fascinating logic during Amazon's design/marketing team meetings:

DESIGN: Umm, guys? The Kindle2 has a problem. The case is weak around the points where the covers connect. It tends to crack.

MARKETING: Why is this?

DESIGN: Because the case is made by different people who made the Kindle 1. Cheaper plastic, I think. It breaks easier.*

MARKETING: Hm. Can't have that. If it breaks, people will be sending it in for a replacement. Especially if it breaks right away.

DESIGN: Yep. So, we've drawn up some specs for reinforcers that could be added to the stress-points. Of course, it'll cost a bit to implement them...

MARKETING: Nah, can't have that! The K2 is already more expensive than we'd like; the competition's cheaper! We need a solution that doesn't cost extra money.

DESIGN: Hm. We could, I dunno, issue a warning label explaining how to handle the cover gently, and pointing out that if people are extra-careful with it, it might not crack?

MARKETING: No, we don't want to imply that our product is fragile.

DESIGN: But it is fragile.

MARKETING: You obviously have no experience in sales.

DESIGN: ...

MARKETING: I know! We'll just ship them without covers! Let's make the cover a separate product, so most people won't bother getting one, and those that do will pay enough extra to cover the cost of the returns!

DESIGN:

* Total, wild speculation on my part. No idea why this happens with K2s and wasn't reported with K1s.

Last edited by Elfwreck; 07-15-2009 at 01:34 PM.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 01:44 PM   #9
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
That shows some fascinating logic during Amazon's design/marketing team meetings:

DESIGN: Umm, guys? The Kindle2 has a problem. The case is weak around the points where the covers connect. It tends to crack.

MARKETING: Why is this?

DESIGN: Because the case is made by different people who made the Kindle 1. Cheaper plastic, I think. It breaks easier.*

MARKETING: Hm. Can't have that. If it breaks, people will be sending it in for a replacement. Especially if it breaks right away.

DESIGN: Yep. So, we've drawn up some specs for reinforcers that could be added to the stress-points. Of course, it'll cost a bit to implement them...

MARKETING: Nah, can't have that! The K2 is already more expensive than we'd like; the competition's cheaper! We need a solution that doesn't cost extra money.

DESIGN: Hm. We could, I dunno, issue a warning label explaining how to handle the cover gently, and pointing out that if people are extra-careful with it, it might not crack?

MARKETING: No, we don't want to imply that our product is fragile.

DESIGN: But it is fragile.

MARKETING: You obviously have no experience in sales.

DESIGN: ...

MARKETING: I know! We'll just ship them without covers! Let's make the cover a separate product, so most people won't bother getting one, and those that do will pay enough extra to cover the cost of the returns!

DESIGN:

* Total, wild speculation on my part. No idea why this happens with K2s and wasn't reported with K1s.
It's like you were there!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 01:46 PM   #10
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

It hits too close to home at lot of build projects I've encountered... It might actually be true!
Old 07-15-2009, 02:08 PM   #11
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by netseeker View Post
Interesting. As it seems Beth Terrell is specialized in class actions.
I wonder whether Sony will be next. There are reports and rumors that their cover with light can cause damages to the screen too.

I have the lightwedge for the 505. I haven't had any problems with it scratching the screen so far. Then again NO other hands have ever touched my 505 except my own (and I intend to keep it that way) and I'm very careful when opening and closing.

Aside from that, I probably wouldn't buy the lightwedge if I had to do it all over again. I don't like the fuzziness of the screen, and it seems to go through batteries quite quickly. The screen gets dimmer and dimmer as time goes on. Or maybe it's because I read too much!
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 03:48 PM   #12
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
what's REALLY interesting is not having seen this reported as an issue in the Kindle forum
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 03:52 PM   #13
chaznsc
Connoisseur
chaznsc began at the beginning.

Device: Mine
In looking at the "tabs" used to support the kindle in a cover, its no wonder they are experiencing the cracking. It isn't designed for success.
chaznsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 04:02 PM   #14
Asphodel
Asphodel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I have that cover for my K2. I haven't had any problems yet, but I've only had it for a couple of weeks. Now I'm going to worry.

I guess I need to start researching other cover options.
Asphodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 04:12 PM   #15
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphodel View Post
I have that cover for my K2. I haven't had any problems yet, but I've only had it for a couple of weeks. Now I'm going to worry.

I guess I need to start researching other cover options.
I'd definitely return it for a full refund.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote