Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-09-2008, 12:16 PM   #91
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I just realized that the first post of this thread showed us what would be on the display.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:17 PM   #92
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Ha! I knew MAKE wouldn't let us down. More details here: http://blog.makezine.com/archive/200...er_hackin.html (but you might need a MAKE subscription, I'm not sure.)

Quote:
For the makers out there:

* It has a programming header, 5-pin ISP.
* It has a Microchip PIC 12f629 which is flash programmable, 8 pin.
* It has 6 lithium coin cell CR2016s, 3 volts each.
* There are 2 e-ink screens with flex connections (these are pricey connections). It looks like it was made to be reprogrammed and different screens.
* The top screen 11 segments, the bottom has 3.
* It was design 06/04/2008.
* The PCB was made by Forewin (Chinese firm?).
* Half thickness, 2 layer board (FR4).
Also, Flickr photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmtorrone/tags/esquire/
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2008, 01:46 PM   #93
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplumey View Post
Wow, talk about disappointing. All of that effort, cost, and waste, for that? Nice try, but not nice enough, in my opinion.
Maybe we're just jaded by the eInk we've already seen and used. I brought my Esquire to work this morning, and set it on my guest table. SEVERAL of my co-workers have been extremely impressed.

By the way, has anyone else read the Steve Jobs article yet? Interesting, if not quite professional diagnosis of his psyche.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 03:28 PM   #94
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
Maybe we're just jaded by the eInk we've already seen and used. I brought my Esquire to work this morning, and set it on my guest table. SEVERAL of my co-workers have been extremely impressed
...because they didn't see your 505 yet, or what?

As for the hackability, no go - it is not a screen, it consists of predefined segments. From Make blog:
Quote:
I think someone out there will likely reflash the PIC and make the segments go on / off at different time and perhaps put other displays on it, there's a little bit of hacking to be had but not that much really.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:17 PM   #95
ThomasMc
Disgusted with LDBoblo
ThomasMc doesn't litterThomasMc doesn't litter

Device: nook
Color me unimpressed. It isn't the full cover, just a little piece of it. About what you'd get with a cellphone.
ThomasMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2008, 11:26 AM   #96
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzebra View Post
...because they didn't see your 505 yet, or what?
Yes, they've seen the 505. Two guys actually went out and bought their own after seeing mine. I guess it was just that it was a magazine. An awful lot of "Wow, cool" comments.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:05 PM   #97
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I finally got mine. I bought 3... one to play with the other 2 to save. By the time I got home (5 mins) the battery in one of them was dead. It no longer blinks.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:37 PM   #98
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Oasis 1&2 and others
I'm a 'touch' late in noticing this... but did anyone pick up extras and would be willing to ship one to Europe? I'd pay by Paypal.
June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 03:48 PM   #99
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
I'm a 'touch' late in noticing this... but did anyone pick up extras and would be willing to ship one to Europe? I'd pay by Paypal.
See Nate the Great's offer here.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:06 PM   #100
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Well, I finally got mine. I bought 3... one to play with the other 2 to save. By the time I got home (5 mins) the battery in one of them was dead. It no longer blinks.
It's more likely that a connection is loose.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 04:18 PM   #101
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
It's more likely that a connection is loose.
Yep, you were right but I had to disassemble (tear apart) the cover to fix it. Good thing I bought extras.

Thanks.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:21 PM   #102
curtw
Outside of a dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
If Nate runs out, I've got two extras as well. I wouldn't charge money, though. I'm in the market to swap. I need paperback copies of Neuromancer in as many languages as possible. Already have German, Italian and French. If you can get me Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, etc., I'd love to trade...
Old 09-12-2008, 03:05 AM   #103
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Oasis 1&2 and others
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
If Nate runs out, I've got two extras as well. I wouldn't charge money, though. I'm in the market to swap. I need paperback copies of Neuromancer in as many languages as possible. Already have German, Italian and French. If you can get me Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, etc., I'd love to trade...
Oh, if you are interested, I'd love to trade. I have at least one Neuromancer paperback in my bookshelf at home, it's either Finnsh or Swedish. And I can always get one in a local bookshop. Drop me a PM if you are interested in a swap.
June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:58 AM   #104
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
I notice that ebay is selling them, at a range from sensible to silly prices...

Does anyone know who made the displays - they are flexible/plastic and not glass? I thought PVI only did glass based displays.
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!