Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 02-15-2015, 03:57 PM   #901
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A

All this is built into conversion settings
Preferences: common options: look and feel: Filter style information (tab near bottom) allows complete removal of ticked item
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 04:04 PM   #902
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post

Preferences: common options: look and feel: Filter style information (tab near bottom) allows complete removal of ticked item
Yes, it is in calibres conversion options. But I use modify epub if doing a complete conversion would be overkill. A conversion does much more than to simply remove these styles.
dickloraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2015, 04:57 PM   #903
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post

Yes, we are aware this can usually be done in conversions -- nevertheless, the plugin was created, for targeted changes.

Oh wait, you were talking about these specific modifications of dickloraine.
Well, the same logic applies.

tl;dr This is a plugin designed to do minimalistic changes specifically to avoid conversions. Such changes are within its purview...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 04:58 PM   #904
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickloraine View Post
No, it does what it says. It removes all font-family stylings. If you don't want that, don't use it. Just as remove line-height removes all this settings, regardless if it is used in some places for a special effect. Or remove embeded fonts removes all fonts, even if some are needed for special glyphs.
That sounds like an incredibly blunt tool to me. I wouldn't use any of these three routines myself, just because they're so broad. So many books out there use monospace or an embedded font to convey meaning (an email, a handwritten note) that I'd never feel comfortable just stripping them all out.

But that's me, and I'm not the ultimate gatekeeper here. However, I would ask that if you get clearance to add them in, check with me so I can bundle some tweaks to the unpretty routine into the same update.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 08:45 PM   #905
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350, Kobo Aura
After looking at the first few pages of this thread, I don't think my modifications really fit within the plugin. I did them for myself and they help me with getting some books quickly into a version useable on my kobo, but if I interpret right, what kiwidude said, modifying the css is not in the intended behaviour. Maybe the stance has changed somewhen, but I think not.
Any ideas what I should do with it? As I said, it is just a little hack, with narrow usecases, so I don't feel like it deserves its own thread.
dickloraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2015, 05:59 AM   #906
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'd find it useful
I do those three tweaks manually for every new book in sigil, so I would appreciate automated one click somewhere
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:22 PM   #907
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So, I mentioned back in February that I was working on a couple of tweaks. I think I'm about ready to deploy them, but before doing so, I figured I'd post a note here and see if anybody has any other suggestions.

I've continued puttering with Unpretty to fine-tune the output, and the latest changes include consideration for EPUB3's SECTION and NAV elements. Otherwise, not a whole lot to see there.

The other significant change is, perhaps surprisingly, to StripKobo, which now also removes Google Play bloat. I know of two such markers, but would be interested to know if anyone else knows of others:

1. In text: <a id="GBS.0001.01"/>

The numbers change, but these anchors are just dead weight in normal readers, since nothing in the book refers to them. Perhaps Google has an app that uses them for something; I don't know. My current beta routine simply removes these, the same way it would a <b/> element.

2. At the top or bottom of pages: <div style="display:none;"><a id="GBS.0001.01"/></div>

Same as above; these get completely removed as well.

At present, I see no need to make a separate "StripGooglePlay" routine, especially when StripKobo serves the same purpose (for a different store) and I can just add one line to it to handle Google Play books at the same time.

So, while the window is open, does anybody have anything to add?
Old 04-23-2015, 09:10 PM   #908
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
So, while the window is open, does anybody have anything to add?
How about option suppress the end of job notify message.

jackie-w has done it for the Count Pages PI, see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=756.

Perhaps you could apply her changes to the Modify PI.

Cheers BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 11:48 PM   #909
Rev. Bob
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Perhaps. I'll keep it in mind. (I use the plugin in command-line mode, so that hasn't been a priority for me.)
Old 04-24-2015, 12:18 AM   #910
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I agree with @BetterRed. It would be nice. BTW, the info you show about google is the same you get in some cases (structure tags, not structure id) when you convert a Kindle book to ePub.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 12:25 AM   #911
Rev. Bob
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
BTW, the info you show about google is the same you get in some cases (structure tags, not structure id) when you convert a Kindle book to ePub.
I've converted plenty of Kindle MOBIs to EPUB, and I've never seen that kind of "display:none" construct in any of them. Am I misunderstanding you?
Old 04-24-2015, 12:30 AM   #912
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post

jackie-w has done it for the Count Pages PI, see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=756.

Perhaps you could apply her changes to the Modify PI...
Yes, I would be a fan for that too.

For any change I would just like to have assurance that it is ok with the parent application at write time.

I had not noticed Jackie-w's Count Pages modification that you pointed to as I sort of lost interest in that thread (I don't use that PI but am a big user of Modify ePub) when after I suggested the same thing I got told by the original developer it couldn't be done and words along the lines that it was pretty clear that I didn't know much about this stuff . I then got growled at and blocked by that user when I pointed out that I did have more than a little street cred' in the area of herding developer's towards solutions .

So a big from my point of view to the Rev. for the at least "perhaps".

Last edited by AnotherCat; 04-24-2015 at 01:37 AM. Reason: word double up corrected
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 01:01 AM   #913
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

could we maybe auto strip the pointless mbpagebreak divs that you see if the epub is a conversion from say an amazon mobi book. I don't have the exact code to hand as I always wipe it manually, but typically there is a single div tag at end of each chapter with a class of of mbpagebreak or similar.

leaving those intact will occasionally lead to a blank page at chapter end as the reader foes on to a new screen as it processes that final line - that is why i prefer to remove them.

UPDATE; I found an un-zapped example. this is from a chapter end in a mobi, converted to epub by calibre

<div class="mbppagebreak" id="calibre_pb_16"></div>
</body>
</html>

Last edited by cybmole; 04-24-2015 at 01:06 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 01:36 AM   #914
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
could we maybe auto strip the pointless mbpagebreak divs...

...<div class="mbppagebreak" id="calibre_pb_16"></div>...
I concur, they turn up very often and never seem to do anything.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:20 AM   #915
Rev. Bob
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
could we maybe auto strip the pointless mbpagebreak divs that you see if the epub is a conversion from say an amazon mobi book. I don't have the exact code to hand as I always wipe it manually, but typically there is a single div tag at end of each chapter with a class of of mbpagebreak or similar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
I concur, they turn up very often and never seem to do anything.
I'll do a random sampling across some of my Kindle-to-EPUB conversions and see if it's standard enough to strip out. If it's something that only gets added by a certain publisher, though, that's a bit more fine-grained than I prefer to get. I'm fine with stripping out gunk that's added by stores for their proprietary use, but not something that's in the publisher's original book; that's where I draw my line.

(Hm. That last phrase may sound harsh, but I don't mean it that way. I'm just saying that I don't see that sort of thing as the proper role of this plugin. That may just be a result of the way I use it, but there has to be a border somewhere, and that's where I perceive it to be.)

Tags
modify epub