Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-31-2015, 10:14 AM   #211
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by oren64 View Post
Hi PeterT

I check the font in the websites.
whatfontis: minion pro cond, aquila.
myfonts: Bague Text, Toshna...

The best similar font is minion pro clad, I download it from this website.
http://fontsgeek.com/search?q=Minion+Pro+Cond
Minion Pro Cond font and Minion Pro font are the same.

At first it only showed in Italic font, the file name "Minion Pro Cond-Regular.ttf"
i change it to "Minion Pro Cond Regular.ttf" and it works.

Can i add advance setting to the font?

Thanks
Ummm... a few thoughts...

GeoffR's patches allow access to the advanced font controls for sideloaded fonts though with the latest firmware, it can cause issues with Japanese.

The more serious issue is that the font files you uploaded are from Adobe—the copyright notice inside the font files is a big pointer in that direction—and are not public domain. This will make the moderators rather unhappy.

There are free fonts that look rather similar to Minion Pro and you might want to search for those instead.

Edit in response to a PM: Inside each of the font files is the following notice.

© 2000, 2002, 2004 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All Rights Reserved. U.S. Patent D371,799.

Last edited by DNSB; 03-31-2015 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Added copyright notice from font file
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:06 AM   #212
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Ummm... a few thoughts...

GeoffR's patches allow access to the advanced font controls for sideloaded fonts though with the latest firmware, it can cause issues with Japanese.

The more serious issue is that the font files you uploaded are from Adobe—the copyright notice inside the font files is a big pointer in that direction—and are not public domain. This will make the moderators rather unhappy.

There are free fonts that look rather similar to Minion Pro and you might want to search for those instead.

Edit in response to a PM: Inside each of the font files is the following notice.

© 2000, 2002, 2004 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All Rights Reserved. U.S. Patent D371,799.

Hi DNSB

I removed the fonts, but in the website fonts geek it's written:"Copyright 2012-2015 by FontsGeek.com. All Rights Reserved". so thinked it's public domain my bad.
http://fontsgeek.com/
EDIT:Terms & Conditions"By downloading fonts from our site or using them you agree you have read and understood that the font or dingbat copyrights belongs to the designer of the related product"

Last edited by oren64; 03-31-2015 at 12:36 PM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 01:11 PM   #213
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Free fonts are usually crap, Crimson is a free Minion clone, not as good but free.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 01:47 PM   #214
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by oren64 View Post
Hi DNSB

I removed the fonts, but in the website fonts geek it's written:"Copyright 2012-2015 by FontsGeek.com. All Rights Reserved". so thinked it's public domain my bad.
http://fontsgeek.com/
EDIT:Terms & Conditions"By downloading fonts from our site or using them you agree you have read and understood that the font or dingbat copyrights belongs to the designer of the related product"
Been there and been burned a few times myself when what was supposed to be a free item turned out be a pirated version. For font files, I'm now paranoid enough to check with a font utility to see what the embedded information says. FontForge and Type light both work quite well even if you are not intending to start editing your own fonts.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 01:49 PM   #215
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GERGE View Post
Free fonts are usually crap, Crimson is a free Minion clone, not as good but free.
Thanks GERGE, but the font it's to thin.

Last edited by oren64; 03-31-2015 at 01:53 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:02 PM   #216
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, it is for print. You could try to add some weight yourself with Fontforge.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:25 PM   #217
oren64
I need a chapter break

Quote:
Well, it is for print. You could try to add some weight yourself with Fontforge.
Do i need change all four files?
Old 04-02-2015, 01:22 AM   #218
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Why not try changing the weight with the Reader's advanced font control? Patching the firmware to turn this on is very easy.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 01:43 AM   #219
GERGE
Guru

You can change with the reader but if you are making *big* changes, changing with a proper software (I use Glyphs) provides better results.
Old 04-02-2015, 05:32 AM   #220
oren64
I need a chapter break

I leave the big changes for letter, and try the fonts from page one see if i like one of them.
Old 04-11-2015, 08:58 AM   #221
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Free fonts are usually crap, ...
Google webfonts have some nice ones.
http://www.google.com/fonts
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 01:35 PM   #222
GERGE
Guru

Only some of them are good enough to compete and only a handful of them can really compete at the same level. Alegreya, PT Serif, Ubuntu Mono, Source Sans Pro... Stil, there is nothing like Freight family, Arno, Storm Baskerville, GT Sectra... I can count many.

They might look as good as the others on the surface, but there are many details that would be missing. Good kerning, good hinting, ligatures, optical sizes... For example Open Baskerville was long considered one of the best free typefaces out there, just compare it with Storm Baskerville.

Last edited by GERGE; 04-11-2015 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-11-2015, 06:46 PM   #223
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
I have a problem with the Gentium Basic and Gentium Book Basic fonts that I've been trying to fix for some time now, but to no avail.
What happens is that when I sideload them onto my H2O and use them in kepubs, regular text becomes bold, and italic becomes bold-italic. They work correctly instead when I embed them into my book and choose to use the document default font.
I'd like to fix this issue, as these fonts are among my favourites and I don't like embedding fonts in all of my ebooks. I've made sure that the files are named correctly, I tried converting them to .otf since that seemed to work for some people. I also tried changing the font internal naming using Fontforge, something that had helped me fix the same issue with another font previously, but it hasn't worked.
I'd be really grateful if someone could help me with this.
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 11:16 PM   #224
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathil View Post
I have a problem with the Gentium Basic and Gentium Book Basic fonts that I've been trying to fix for some time now, but to no avail.
What happens is that when I sideload them onto my H2O and use them in kepubs, regular text becomes bold, and italic becomes bold-italic. They work correctly instead when I embed them into my book and choose to use the document default font.
I'd like to fix this issue, as these fonts are among my favourites and I don't like embedding fonts in all of my ebooks. I've made sure that the files are named correctly, I tried converting them to .otf since that seemed to work for some people. I also tried changing the font internal naming using Fontforge, something that had helped me fix the same issue with another font previously, but it hasn't worked.
I'd be really grateful if someone could help me with this.
I tried Gentium Basic and Gentium Book Basic on my Glo with firmware 3.13.1:

Installing all four files (*-Regular, *-Italic, *-Bold, *-BoldItalic) I had the same problem you describe with the kepub reader, however they work okay in the epub reader.

However I made a discovery: If I install just the *-Regular and *-Italic files, then it works in the kepub reader, but not in the epub reader! That is, in the kepub reader I get regular, italic, bold and bold italic even though I only have the -Regular and -Italic files installed.

Edit: What you could do is install Regular and Italic files from Gentium Plus or Gentium Plus Compact for use with kepubs, and all four files from Gentium Basic or Gentium Book basic for use with epubs.

Last edited by GeoffR; 04-12-2015 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Gentium Plus
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 02:18 AM   #225
GERGE
Guru

You could also user a tool like TransType or FontForge to edit their metadata. Kobo actually looks to the metadata.