Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-10-2010, 09:48 AM   #1
Rocky04
Rocky04 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX G
Angry No more support for kindle dx Graphite ? Too Bad

It's getting disgusting. I have been waiting for new update and have not heard any thing about it. Also it seems like no dx graphite user really care about this.

I am wondering if anyone tried to contact amazon customer support to ask if there is any plan to update firmware for dx graphite user.

It is too bad to read articles about firmware update for Kindle 3 users because it seems like dx graphite is abandoned by amazon.
Rocky04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:52 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
How on Earth to you reach the conclusion that it's "been abandoned"? Because a firmware update hasn't appeared in the week since the Kindle 3 was released? Really, I think you're being a little premature in your conclusions.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:00 AM   #3
caryanne2
caryanne2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
I tried to contact kindle customer support and got this response:

We've made no announcement about a new software update for Kindle DX, so I can't answer your question.

Anyway I will take this as a feedback and will be sure to forward your comments to the Kindle team.
So, I think that an update will come out eventually. They are still shipping the preordered Kindles. Once they get caught up (which I think will happen in the next 10 days or so), I think the KDX will get an update.
caryanne2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:10 AM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, Rocky.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:14 AM   #5
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
What problems is the Kindle DX Graphite having that it needs the new firmware?
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:16 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
What problems is the Kindle DX Graphite having that it needs the new firmware?
I think it's more the things that it currently lacks, such as support for hyperlinks, annotation, and dictionary lookup in a PDF file. The Kindle 3 has all these, and supposedly a new firmware version will be released for the DX which adds support for them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:52 AM   #7
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
ah, I thought he meant an update like the K3 received an update that is meant to fix operating bugs like the freezes and crashes.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:13 AM   #8
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
Zero freezes, zero crashes on my DXG. Best electronic purchase ever, well maybe second after my Amiga.
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:31 AM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

Be patient. I'm sure Amazon is busy taking care of their K3 customers right now. If and when they add these features, and I hope they do because I have a DXG, your DXG will update itself. I don't think they will get around to the DXG update anytime soon though. And you bought the DXG knowing it did not have those features and probably was not mad until you found out the K3 would have them.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:35 AM   #10
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Never fix it if it is not broken.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:51 AM   #11
Rocky04
Rocky04 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX G
Sorry for being mad.

I am sorry for being mad. I guess I have to wait.
Rocky04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:02 PM   #12
ricsmania
Connoisseur
ricsmania began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi
Kindle 3 has been available for barely 2 weeks, I don't think a product that hasn't received updates for 2 weeks could be considered "abandoned".

It's a matter of time before they release an update, because Kindle 3 isn't an upgraded version of Kindle DX, it's another product entirely. So both are the latest versions.
ricsmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:42 PM   #13
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, PRS-650
Seems some Kindle 3 had freezing problems...Maybe they're just waiting for the firmware to be more stable to release something for the DX.
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 01:25 PM   #14
caryanne2
caryanne2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papi View Post
Seems some Kindle 3 had freezing problems...Maybe they're just waiting for the firmware to be more stable to release something for the DX.
I think this could be the exact reason. And if that's the case, I sure don't mind waiting until the bugs get worked out. I think the reason all of us want the update (or most of us...) is because of the increased pdf support. After all, the DX is marketed towards people who will be reading PDFs. I'm thinking we will get an update before the end of September.
caryanne2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:36 AM   #15
meem
A Reader who can think..!
meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi - Kindle DX (B004)
Unfortunately, Kindle 3 with all its new features made all Kindle DXes like old generation !

So, I don't suggest anyone to buy a Kindle DX for now, stick with new Kindle 3 and wait (perhaps about a year) for new one.
meem is offline   Reply With Quote