Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #121
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Heartpounding to say the least. There are only 2 in the queue for Tripwire so I will go ahead and reserve it. Kind of funny that a fluffy chick lit lover like me found myself interested in these. I normally don't get drawn to thrillers.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:34 PM   #122
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
lately David Dalglish, i've become a big fan of his brand of sword&sorcery.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2012, 05:04 PM   #123
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
For me (in no particular order);

Living authors

Christopher Brookmyre
Carl Hiaasen
Iain Banks (without the 'M')
Jo Nesbo
Lee Child
Ben Elton
Terry Pratchett
Jim Butcher
Rob Grant

Those that are now sadly deceased and so won't be publishing any more books
George MacDonald Fraser
John Steinbeck
Steig Larsson
Douglas Adams
Finally someone mentioned Stieg Larsson.
AlexGrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:16 PM   #124
Lizzie in Ma
Connoisseur
Lizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to all

Device: Nook, Kindle 3, Vizio 8" tablet runn and Samsung Galaxy running Aldiko
Fun! I'll play.

In random order....
J.R.R. Tolkien
Rick Riordan
Robert B. Parker (Spenser only)
Elizabeth Peters
Seanan McGuire
Ilona Andrews
Jim Butcher (not Codex series though)
David Eddings
Patricia Briggs
Kevin Hearne
Clive Cussler
Mark del Franco
Jeanine Frost
Neil Gaiman
Richard Kadrey
C.S. Lewis
Brandon Mull
J.K. Rowling
Farley Mowat
James Herriot
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Anne McCaffrey's Pern
Susan Casey
Faith Hunter
Lizzie in Ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:22 PM   #125
tm3
Groupie
tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle 3
it is a short list for me

john grisham

michael connelly

stephen hunter
tm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2012, 10:08 PM   #126
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Nonfiction AFAIK living

Howard Blum
Erik Larson
Julie Fenster
Mark Bowden
Siddhartha Mukherjee

Literary Fiction AFAIK living

Richard Russo

SciFi/Fantasy AFAIK Living

Jo Walton

Guilty Pleasure Fiction AFAIK Living

Archer Mayor
Faye Kellerman

Favorite novelist still mostly paper-only

Conrad Richter

P.S. And honorable mentions for those who can or could write mysteries without bloodshed:

Dorothy Sayers
Nury Vittachi
Alexander McCall Smith

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 02-16-2012 at 10:29 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:21 PM   #127
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist
hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo,kindle,supernova, playbook
i'd say:

richard stark
lee child
joe r lansdale
michael connelly
ross macdonald
elmore leonard
thomas harris
dennis lehane
c.s. forrester
stephen king
caleb carr

not in any particular order.
hard-boiled pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:22 PM   #128
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist
hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm3 View Post
it is a short list for me

john grisham

michael connelly

stephen hunter
earl swagger is an amazing character.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:23 PM   #129
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
A lot of commonality in our lists, and have to say .

I envy you the fact that you still have them all to read for the first time. I still have waking nighmares over the tunnel scene in "Die Trying".

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." -Jack Reacher
Old 02-18-2012, 02:15 PM   #130
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7
hard-boiled pat, please stop posting so much messages in a row. Get them all in one, you are indirectly spamming.
AlexGrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:02 PM   #131
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
He's quoting and answering other people in the last two of those three posts. I don't see a problem, myself. A multi-quote post might have been better, but I chalk that up to individual style.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:13 PM   #132
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I read One drink before the War by Dennis Lehane and was most happy with it. Then I started another and haven't finished it yet as it seemed dull. (don't recall title)

Was really looking forward to it so maybe my expectations were too high. Many authors like Robert Tanenbaum, Elmore Leonard, John Lescroart, Robert B. Parker, Rex Stout, etc. Etc. I have never found trouble finishing. Maybe I enjoy some books more than others, but no disappointments that I can recall.

Can someone recommend another book by Lehane that they have really enjoyed?

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:10 PM   #133
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I read One drink before the War by Dennis Lehane and was most happy with it. Then I started another and haven't finished it yet as it seemed dull. (don't recall title)

Was really looking forward to it so maybe my expectations were too high. Many authors like Robert Tanenbaum, Elmore Leonard, John Lescroart, Robert B. Parker, Rex Stout, etc. Etc. I have never found trouble finishing. Maybe I enjoy some books more than others, but no disappointments that I can recall.

Can someone recommend another book by Lehane that they have really enjoyed?

Helen
yes, mystic river is a great read, even better than the movie(big shock there).
Old 02-18-2012, 05:47 PM   #134
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Thanks I will try it out.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:44 PM   #135
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
Banana Yoshimoto, Haruki Murakami, Robertson Davies, Neil Gaiman, George R.R. Martin, among others. I'd like to give Margaret Atwood an honourable mention, as well.
Margaret Atwood! When she's good, she is very, very good. But some of her books. . . I don't know. Kind of like Harry Turtledove (in all of his pen names) in that regard.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote