Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-23-2013, 05:21 PM   #1
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
Should I try the Mini?

Hi,
I am looking to get my dd a reader. I am not sure if I should try the Mini. I have a Glo and it is nice so far. I do have some issues that annoy me(like when I forward to the next page and it actually goes backward about five pages) but the hardware itself works well. Those of you who have been using it...Do you have any regrets?

Thanks,

Penny
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:43 PM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystika1 View Post
Hi,
I do have some issues that annoy me(like when I forward to the next page and it actually goes backward about five pages) but the hardware itself works well.
Don't have a Mini so I can't comment on it, but what you're describing on your Glo is not normal. Does it happen on all books? How often does it happen? I would be trying a factory reset if you haven't yet. This isn't a commonly reported problem.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2013, 07:38 PM   #3
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
I really liked my Mini and never had any issues with it. It simply worked. I only sold it because I just "needed" to buy a Glo. If it's for reading and nothing else, I would recommend it.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:58 PM   #4
johnsnow
Fanboy
johnsnow , Klaatu Barada Niktu!johnsnow , Klaatu Barada Niktu!johnsnow , Klaatu Barada Niktu!johnsnow , Klaatu Barada Niktu!johnsnow , Klaatu Barada Niktu!johnsnow , Klaatu Barada Niktu!johnsnow , Klaatu Barada Niktu!johnsnow , Klaatu Barada Niktu!johnsnow , Klaatu Barada Niktu!johnsnow , Klaatu Barada Niktu!johnsnow , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: kobo Glo, Mini, Aura
I have a mini as well as a glo. I use the mini mostly to have in my pocket when out and about because the glo with sleepcover does not fit too well in my pocket. I have no regrets whatsoever. It is definately slower than the glo and less text fits on the screen but it is just as easy to read and has all the features minus the light. I am not sure if I would like it as much if I did not also have the Glo for reading at home. I would also recommend a sleepcover for the mini.

I had trouble with the page turns being very sensitive and getting confused because it was going backwards as well, until I realized that if your finger pushes to the right even just a little bit when you tap it will turn the page backward. If you tap and swipe to the left it will turn to the next page.
Any way it worked for me.
johnsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:26 PM   #5
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
you know, I've been thinking of the Mini for my mum too - don't know about your dad, but my mum is definitely a technophobe. The Mini is very intuitive in its use, and he will be able to just buy the books he likes on the fly. So if you are happy with the book selection at Kobo in your language, I'd go on with it with no issue.

I'd recommend getting a cover, as it makes it easier to hold the device without touching the screen accidentally (it adds a bit of "height" to the sides if you get something like this one, which envelopes the device completely).

EDIT: one thing to bear in mind, though, is that the Mini does not have a card slot - so should anything go wrong, or should your dad need a factory reset, all sideloaded books will have to be reloaded manually, but I'm sure you know this already.

Last edited by paola; 03-23-2013 at 08:28 PM.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2013, 09:50 PM   #6
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
I love mine. I've never experienced any issues with it at all and wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:04 AM   #7
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
When I was shopping for a e-reader I considered between the Kobo Glo and the Kobo Mini.

When I saw both models in display, I realized how small the Mini is compared to the Glo.

The Mini was okay for reading, but not acceptable for images with text - it was too small.
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:21 AM   #8
Thane1
Connoisseur
Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Do you have any regrets?
Yes, I should have bought two when they had been on sale.

Though even at he regular price it is quite affordable. Overall I like it, its very portable, fits well into the average hand and coat pocket. I wish they made a silicone skin for it, the sleep cover adds a considerable amount of girth to it, and not as pocket friendly as a result. In terms of operation it is identical to the Glo, minus the Glo light feature of course.

T.
Thane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:11 PM   #9
nerys
Addict
nerys began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500 - REB 1200
yes buy it from best buy. 15 day return no questions no restocking or any such thing. I asked because I could not test on the one on display (you MUST create an account to even turn the thing on but once you have an account you can simply turn off wifi and sideload to your hearts content 1305mb free (a lot of books will fit in that)

I REALLY liked it look and feel wise so I asked about return if it ended up sucking. after a day I am in love so far.

I DO wish I could list the book as line entries (file name please) instead of "covers" because its useless for books that lack covers :-)

got to find a program to easily "add" covers to ebooks :-)
nerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:18 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys View Post
got to find a program to easily "add" covers to ebooks :-)
Have a look at calibre for all your ebook management needs.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:22 PM   #11
nerys
Addict

calibre is a nice program but VERY annoying as it wants to do things ITS way instead of MY way. I have had lots of "fights" with calibre and its file management whims :-)
Old 04-04-2013, 11:33 PM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Just accept that calibre's database is it's own black box; the fact that it just happens to expose it's content as files in a file system is totally irrelevant.

And the fact that it DOES expose them can be viewed as a benefit.

Just imagine if calibre decided to locate everything within a true database, or decided to encrypt all of the content under it's control.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:37 PM   #13
nerys
Addict

peterT its real simple. I would not use it.

I already have my files organized I want it to leave them alone. hence I don't use calibre :-) hehe I won't even buy a device that does not support some form of mass storage access.

I don't take kindly to databases (locked or otherwise) and obfuscation and proprietary formats. its what drew me to the original SONY PRS I got what drew me to kindle and what drew me to the kobo mini.

open access wide file support (which was very strange coming from sony mind you! they are the kings of lock down right there with apple :-)
Old 04-05-2013, 06:44 AM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Hi,
I am looking to get my dd a reader. I am not sure if I should try the Mini. I have a Glo and it is nice so far. I do have some issues that annoy me(like when I forward to the next page and it actually goes backward about five pages) but the hardware itself works well. Those of you who have been using it...Do you have any regrets?

Thanks,

Penny

I don't own a mini.

OK: That's out of the way.

If you are in love with the front lighting system on a Reader (as I am; and i will never buy another Reader without one), then I would say don't get the mini.

If the light is not a deal-breaker, then you should listen to all the other fine opinions on this thread and avoid my opinion like the plague.

Don
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:40 AM   #15
nerys
Addict

I have never felt a particular "need" for illumination with my ereaders. it takes so little light to make it readable it just seems to not be an issue to me. a single LED will more than light up the entire screen.