Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-12-2009, 04:21 AM   #16
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Thanks for posting this and welcome to Mobilread Ocean It looks an interesting read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray View Post
Edit: I know the original poster is not the author. My comments are to all authors.

If the point of the author is to have his/her material read by a wider audience, then free or not, providing only a PDF is self defeating. Sure, some will read it on their "big screen" PC and a few will spend hours converting it to something useful on an ebook reader. Not me, and not many others are willing to go through this hassle any more. There is too much other material by too many other authors that we can be reading without dealing with PDF. If you want more readers, make it easier for them to actually read your stuff.
The phrase "Gift horse and mouth" springs to mind.

As it is free, personally I don't mind spending less than 5 minutes of my time converting it to a format I prefer.
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 04:38 AM   #17
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post
The phrase "Gift horse and mouth" springs to mind.

As it is free, personally I don't mind spending less than 5 minutes of my time converting it to a format I prefer.
Agreed!!! I would NEVER buy a PDF formatted book, but I am always willing to do the small amount of work necessary to convert a free PDF to a useable format. In this case, the PDF was not as badly made as many PDFs I have come across, and after converting it to HTML, Sigil made short work of making an EPUB from it. If Sigil had not just made it's debut, I would have used Book Designer to make an FB2 from it.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2009, 05:31 AM   #18
Wario
Connoisseur
Wario began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I love a good freebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
Please recommend to me some more Atlantis fiction.
Here a good noval, a bit like Dan Brown style.
'The Atlantis Code' by Charles Brokaw
Wario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:01 AM   #19
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
Atlantis...Ocean....very cool for a first post, right?

Please recommend to me some more Atlantis fiction.
This one is interesting, it's a short book, the latest I've read on the subject. Atlantis by Orson Scott Card. His view is highly plausible as archeology is concerned.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:33 AM   #20
vsalvaggio
Zealot
vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray View Post
If the point of the author is to have his/her material read by a wider audience, then free or not, providing only a PDF is self defeating. Sure, some will read it on their "big screen" PC and a few will spend hours converting it to something useful on an ebook reader. Not me, and not many others are willing to go through this hassle any more. There is too much other material by too many other authors that we can be reading without dealing with PDF. If you want more readers, make it easier for them to actually read your stuff.
I agree with jgray and I also thought he worded his feedback to authors very respectfully.

I saw this book in the store (pback) and considered looking it up as an ebook later so I was at first excited to see it offered for free. Finding out it was a free PDF cooled my ardor quickly. Yes, we can take 2 minutes to convert this *IF IT CONVERTS NICELY*. Conversion in some PDF's make a nightmare of formatting and I don't want to spend the time fooling with it when I have lots else to read. AND since I don't know if a PDF is a "GOOD" PDF or a "BAD" PDF (for converting) I am extremely likely to just skip the whole thing.

Which is jgray's point. If the author/publisher wants to give a book away for free in the hopes we like it and buy more of their stuff, it is in their best interest to make it as easy as possible by offering multiple formats (see Baen.com for the best example of "the first taste is free" marketing).

Hey, free is free and I'll not complain about anything given away...I just might not bother to download it if it even appears to be a hassle.
vsalvaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2009, 01:35 PM   #21
Ocean
Banned
Ocean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enough

Device: Proud G1 Kindle Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe The Cat View Post
Two minutes to run the PDF through Mobipocket Creator. One more minute to change some </br> tags to <p> tags in the resulting HTML file and run it through Mobipocket Creator again. Three minutes total to produce a quite readable Mobipocket, with Antarctic map on two pages.
Thanks for telling me this. It helped make the file even more readable.

I like a good space and a half or two between my paragraphs. That helped.
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:41 PM   #22
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Rats I bought the first two on special several months back for $5 each.
I am currently reading Raising Atlantis and it pretty damn good. I must say that the PDF version of Raising Atlantis that I bought from BoB is the best reflowed PDF I have read. Apart from the usual partial pages you wouldn't know you are reading a PDF rather than a LRX or Epub.
Must remember to get the newly released book 3, Atlantis Revelation for $9.99 + $2.50 rewards from BoB(Net cost $7.49) while its on special
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:46 AM   #23
Bajor025
Bajor025 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thank you for this book... been trying to find this for sometime
Cheers
Bajor025
Bajor025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 05:42 PM   #24
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I'm now half way in and I can't say I like it that much at this point. The beginning seemed promising, the writing good, interesting characters, good subject buildup. But then when the story gets to the actual fiction, inconsistencies and physical improbabilities set in at every two pages. :rudenoise:

Just imagine this:
There's a pyramid under 1000 feet of ice, they drill a shaft that goes down to it, find an OPEN entrance and there's no ice inside the kilometers of shafts and hallways?

The main character falls down a 100 foot shaft, hooks himself up to a line as he falls, in total darkness mind you, and stops 20 feet short from the ground, without being hurt. (I must be stupid because I broke an arm from a 5 foot fall) Then he cuts his line to jump to the ground, again without being hurt. Oh, the preceding bad guy who fell in the same hole found himself impaled on an obelisk, and our hero manages to miss it?

The hero and heroin find themselves in a control room and start a mechanism that has been unused for TWELVE THOUSAND years, read this THOUSANDS, and it works without a glitch. I just wish GM knew something about this technology.

I could go on and on like this for a long time. There is a far fetched action or improbability every two pages.

That makes it bad fiction to me, because it defies natural and physical laws.

But... I do like the subject of Atlantis and am curious about what he imagines for the rest of the story. So I'll soldier on although I rate this ebook immediately a 2 out of 10 stars.
Sorry Mr. Greanias...

Last edited by yvanleterrible; 12-13-2009 at 05:46 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:15 PM   #25
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
The hero and heroin find themselves in a control room
And the hero injects the heroin, which makes him drift off to sleep, during which he dreams that he activates the 12k year old device...

Um. Sorry. I don't normally mind typos, but that's one that really catches my attention. The female variant of hero is heroine. Drop the e, and you've got a white powder drug not much connected with heroism.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:46 PM   #26
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
And the hero injects the heroin, which makes him drift off to sleep, during which he dreams that he activates the 12k year old device...

Um. Sorry. I don't normally mind typos, but that's one that really catches my attention. The female variant of hero is heroine. Drop the e, and you've got a white powder drug not much connected with heroism.
Then again, perhaps not a typo - as the HEROIN caused the HERO to drop off to sleep (leaving the HEROINE to her own devices, I suppose...).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 05:35 PM   #27
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
I was going to give ocean karma - but he's managed to get himself banned..
Wherever you are, thanks for finding this for us! Wonder how easy it would be to make a pdf have pdf reflow?
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 05:36 PM   #28
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Sorry, definitely a typo.
In French we say "héroïne" as the feminine of "héro". It is the same word for the drug "héroïne".
Old 12-14-2009, 11:19 PM   #29
Dahak
Zealot
Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS-505(LC) & Rocket eBook
Quote:
Well, I'm now half way in and I can't say I like it that much at this point. The beginning seemed promising, the writing good, interesting characters, good subject buildup. But then when the story gets to the actual fiction, inconsistencies and physical improbabilities set in at every two pages. :rudenoise:
Thank you!

I thought I was the only one who couldn't finish it.
Dahak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:25 AM   #30
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:

Just imagine this:
There's a pyramid under 1000 feet of ice, they drill a shaft that goes down to it, find an OPEN entrance and there's no ice inside the kilometers of shafts and hallways?

The main character falls down a 100 foot shaft, hooks himself up to a line as he falls, in total darkness mind you, and stops 20 feet short from the ground, without being hurt. (I must be stupid because I broke an arm from a 5 foot fall) Then he cuts his line to jump to the ground, again without being hurt. Oh, the preceding bad guy who fell in the same hole found himself impaled on an obelisk, and our hero manages to miss it?

The hero and heroin find themselves in a control room and start a mechanism that has been unused for TWELVE THOUSAND years, read this THOUSANDS, and it works without a glitch. I just wish GM knew something about this technology.

I could go on and on like this for a long time. There is a far fetched action or improbability every two pages.

That makes it bad fiction to me, because it defies natural and physical laws.

But... I do like the subject of Atlantis and am curious about what he imagines for the rest of the story. So I'll soldier on although I rate this ebook immediately a 2 out of 10 stars.
Sorry Mr. Greanias...
Damn! Oh well, never look a gift horse in the mouth; I'll try reading it later
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote