Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-24-2015, 01:59 PM   #1216
ninki
Connoisseur
ninki began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin 6.1, Kindle 3, Kindle Touch, KPW3, KOA3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Did your Kindle install an over-the-air (OTA) firmware update?
no, no updates where i live.
i followed the intructions in the first page, i think i did it right. i think...
funny thing is it start to open the manager, you get to see the change in the screen and then restarts the kindle.
i was wondering if maybe it dosent have enough memory? to many collection?
thanks
ninki
ninki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:33 PM   #1217
Lord Beric
Immortal
Lord Beric began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Hi guys, Ive just bought a Kindle PW 2nd Gen and I have 5.6.1.0.6 software, is still this "app" working?
Lord Beric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2015, 10:37 PM   #1218
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Twice no. CM doesn't support those FW versions, and you can't (easily) JailBreak them to begin with anyway.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 10:33 AM   #1219
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Any chance this could be made to work on a K3W with 3.4.1 firmware? Sounds like a very useful option.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 10:52 AM   #1220
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Ixtab is on indefinite holiday -- the real world stole him from us.

If you want to do the work, you are welcome to try.
But I suspect if it were easy to do, it would've been done a long time ago.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2015, 11:20 AM   #1221
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Ixtab is on indefinite holiday -- the real world stole him from us.

If you want to do the work, you are welcome to try.
But I suspect if it were easy to do, it would've been done a long time ago.
Ixtab had to leave the "student life" and get a real job when he completed his PhD. in Computer Science.

Hint:
That should give readers an idea of the skill level in Java Internals this application requires.
But if anyone has some free time while doing their post-doc work, the source is in a public repository for anyone to update.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 11:58 AM   #1222
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And I'm gonna squash your hopes right now, because FW 3.x has a completely different Collections backend, so, if it were at all doable, it would require much more extensive work than what porting to a different FW 5.x entails.

On the other hand, said backend doesn't require a JailBroken device to interact with, cf. Calibre's Kindle Collections plugin.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:35 AM   #1223
hristox
hristox began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Hi,
I've a Kindle Touch 5.3.7.2 that i have Jailbreaked some days ago to use Collections Manager together with Calibre.

I've around 500 books, most sideloaded, some from Amazon for which I'm using a personal deDRMized copy (so basically sideloaded these too).

I created a custom columns in Calibre for the Collections, then imported in Kindle through Collections Manager and through his Kindle interface I nested some of them as desired.

In the end for about 25 books, all of them originally Amazon one, Collections Manager did not imported the Collection I setted on Calibre.

Deleting them from the Kindle through Calibre and resending them to the Kindle fixed this for everyone except 1.

For this 1 I tried to delete and resend many times but not working. It doesn't get the Collection.

So my questions are:

1) Why I needed to resend those 24 to get the collection?
2) Why this 1 still doesn't get it?
3) during the process of resending those 24 Collections Manager stopped to work (and still doesn't work), how can i make it work again? Here follows the last log:

[EDIT: after 2 restart of the device it started again to work, but 1 books that previously had get the collection, lost it on the device. Now that i think of it it happened other times in this process that books that previously got the collections after some new import lost it, so I keep the log here below, but i add here a 4th question]

4) Why some books that previously got the collection then lost that?

[08/07/2015 16:44] Collections Manager (v. 2.7.7)

java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.mobileread.ixtab.collman.CollectionsManagerKin dlet.showAndQuit(CollectionsManagerKindlet.java:10 7)
at com.mobileread.ixtab.collman.CollectionsManagerKin dlet.initUiAfterSplash(CollectionsManagerKindlet.j ava:99)
at com.mobileread.ixtab.collman.CollectionsManagerKin dlet.access$300(CollectionsManagerKindlet.java:20)
at com.mobileread.ixtab.collman.CollectionsManagerKin dlet$1$1.run(CollectionsManagerKindlet.java:54)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Compiled Method)(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Compiled Method)(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueueProxy.dispatchEvent(Compiled Method)(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.AGUIEventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHi erarchy(Compiled Method)(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.AGUIEventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHier archy(Compiled Method)(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.AGUIEventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknow n Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.startup(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException: null
at com.mobileread.ixtab.collman.catalog.Collection.ge tEntries(Collection.java:49)
at com.mobileread.ixtab.collman.ui.BrowsePanel.setCol lection(BrowsePanel.java:65)
at com.mobileread.ixtab.collman.ui.BrowsePanel.<init> (BrowsePanel.java:52)
at com.mobileread.ixtab.collman.ui.MainPanel.<init>(M ainPanel.java:27)
at com.mobileread.ixtab.collman.CollectionsManager.in it(CollectionsManager.java:44)
at com.mobileread.ixtab.collman.CollectionsManagerKin dlet.initUiAfterSplash(CollectionsManagerKindlet.j ava:75)
at com.mobileread.ixtab.collman.CollectionsManagerKin dlet.access$300(CollectionsManagerKindlet.java:20)
at com.mobileread.ixtab.collman.CollectionsManagerKin dlet$1$1.run(CollectionsManagerKindlet.java:54)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Compiled Method)(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Compiled Method)(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueueProxy.dispatchEvent(Compiled Method)(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.AGUIEventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHi erarchy(Compiled Method)(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.AGUIEventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHier archy(Compiled Method)(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.AGUIEventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknow n Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.startup(Unknown Source)

Thanks a lot for all the work behind CM and your help! * : )

Last edited by hristox; 07-08-2015 at 11:44 AM.
hristox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:28 PM   #1224
NiLuJe
BLAM!

On a wild guess, UUID/ASIN mismatches between AMZ copies and de-DRM'd ones. Which would mostly track w/ the delete and resend fixing it.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:43 PM   #1225
madagascaradam
Enthusiast
madagascaradam began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O Edition 2
OTA update ruined my collections!

Hey everyone, thanks for all the awesome work you guys put into letting us use our kindles the way we ought to! I've had a Kindle keyboard and used the jailbreak and other apps on it, then a kindle paperwhite 1 and have used the jailbreak and screensavers and collections. The truth is that the Kindle Collections Manager is probably my #1 reason for jailbreaking my kindle (the amazon version just sucks). I usually keep my kindle in airplane mode so I don't have to worry about updates etc. (I guess I didn't know about the backdoor lock). Well, I was using it on the internet today and it automatically installed 5.6.1.1! At first I was worried it had ruined everything. Well, I was able to reinstall the jailbreak and most of my apps and they all seem to be working EXCEPT kindle collections manager.

I see that the developer of this app isn't working on it anymore. If anyone knows anyway to make the collections manager work with my current firmware that'd be great. But even if no one knows how to make it work with the current firmware, please tell me some method of downgrading to the older firmware I used to have. I really don't need the new firmware and I was very content with my old one. I'd love to get the collections manager back! Please help!

P.S. Now I've installed the backdoor lock so at least it shouldn't happen again.
madagascaradam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 05:56 PM   #1226
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by madagascaradam View Post
- - - -
I'd love to get the collections manager back! Please help!

P.S. Now I've installed the backdoor lock so at least it shouldn't happen again.
That is known as:
"Closing the barn door after the horse has strayed."

- - - -

Since you got most of your add-ins back, I assume you learned that you now have to use KUAL and the MrPI KUAL extension to install things on 5.6.x series firmware.

Ixtab was a student, who used his free time to work on Kindle things.
But he completed his PhD. work and had no excuse for remaining a happy-go-lucky student with time to spare.

So your findings are correct - no updates available for the Collections Manager.
And it may remain that way until some member doing Post-Doc work in C.S. has some spare time to work on it (updating it is not a C.S. beginner's project).

**BUT**

We now have an alternative (non-interactive, sort of a 'batch' substitute) - -
Search for our Librarian Sync tool.
(I think it is indexed in the master wiki index.)

Last edited by knc1; 07-28-2015 at 05:58 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:48 PM   #1227
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

FWIW, I much prefer LibrarianSync. My main use is syncing with calibre and the Kindle Collections plugin, which means I don't need an interactive manager -- and LibrarianSync is much faster at importing.

LibrarianSync is linked from the Kindle Collections PI thread.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:15 AM   #1228
unabatedshagie
Enthusiast
unabatedshagie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by madagascaradam View Post
Well, I was using it on the internet today and it automatically installed 5.6.1.1!
I feel your pain, happened to me too. I only found out about the backdoor lock after the fact. :-(
unabatedshagie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 08:53 PM   #1229
CoolkcaH
CoolkcaH began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 2 (2013) WiFi (US, Intl) 90D4
CM refuses to open on 5.6.5...I only wanted to use it to hide collections.
Is it possible to remove the check, or is there another app that can hide collections / books?
CoolkcaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 09:53 PM   #1230
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Collections Manager just doesn't work on 5.6.5 -- no adapter has been written for it.
Therefore, CM crashes and burns.

Try LibrarianSync -- see the note in red in the OP.

Tags
collections, collections manager, kindle touch hacks