Notices

View Poll Results: Do you prefer eBooks to be Full Justified or Left Justified
I prefer reading eBooks that are Full Justified. 90 51.43%
I prefer reading eBooks that are Left Justified. 85 48.57%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-26-2013, 06:44 AM   #61
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Quote:
I want to be right, and justified at the same time.
Apache
Ah, that would be faith, not works
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:06 AM   #62
m00min
Connoisseur
m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad / NST / Kobo
I find my preference depends on the type size and line length. Small type and short lines are better set left aligned. The ragged edge makes it easier to keep track of where you are.

I'm a bit undecided on which I prefer for ebook reading. I've currently got my reader set to left aligned and auto hyphenate off, as I find excessive hyphenation distracting. If I could switch that off without then being subjected to massive gaps in the text I'd probably keep ebooks justified.
m00min is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:18 AM   #63
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Full justified. It looks neat.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:41 AM   #64
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
To be truthful, I prefer left justified. But, it really does not matter when I am reading a book. I am not conscious of anything on the page. I do not see the text. I am inside my head watching a movie on my virtual theater screen (brain).
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:39 AM   #65
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
To be truthful, I prefer left justified. But, it really does not matter when I am reading a book. I am not conscious of anything on the page. I do not see the text. I am inside my head watching a movie on my virtual theater screen (brain).
Apache

Happens with a good book.
But if I read a bad or boring one, I notice everything else too.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:32 AM   #66
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Tiny preference for left aligned. Overall it doesn't matter, but I find it annoying when a really big word falls at the end of the line and it feels like my eyes are jumping across chasms every time it reaches a space. But the words are usually small enough that the small variations in the size of a space doesn't matter.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:08 AM   #67
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris
Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Apache
The problem is bad formatting can pull some of us out of that immersion. For me loose lines do it. The words are too far apart, the kerning, if poor enough, makes letters too far apart as well. A ragged right side doesn't do that to me.
Iphinome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:13 AM   #68
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by derangedhermit View Post
To be specific, I counted. <50 characters per line is clearly better left justified, and >60 characters per line, I prefer full justified.
Right.
Text with too short lines is difficult to read, because the eye has to jump often and full justification produces very weird articacts.
Text with too long lines can be very uncomfortable. Your eye won't be able to find the next line when you finish previous one. Just open a text on a full length of a 24 inch monitor and you will clearly see what I am talking about.

In printed books, [the average of] 56 characters on line is considered to be THE ideal number of characters for the best readability. Most sources that do study the optimal length of the line of text say that the value should be somewhere between 50 and 75 characters. Just grab a well formatted paper book and count.
When the text is this long, a fully justified text can look much neater and the variation in inter-word space width is not distracting. For this to work really well, you need hyphenation (that surprisingly high number of e-ink readers do not support at all!) and a well made program to do the layout *and* it still has to be looked at and hand-tweaked by a skilled typographer.

For shorter line length and missing hyphenation and ridiculously wide margins and font size that can't be finely tuned and non-existent typographic tuning of spaces in software(such as inDesign or LaTeX have) - which is, sady, the description that fits many of modern e-ink devices - the left justification is better.

The best solution would be to let the user choose. I can't understand why there is no such choice for most of the reading devices "out there". Even such well configurable device as PocketBook, or great third-party programs installable on some readers, such as Coolreader, this has to be set by configuring it in a text configuration file or CSS override file.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:56 PM   #69
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I prefer it right justified. Left just looks too messy to me.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:09 PM   #70
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
For me it's simple enough:

Full justification done well: best option for prose
Ragged Right: Acceptable but not perfect option for prose
Full justification done poorly: worst option for prose
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:02 AM   #71
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
When given a choice, I prefer left justified. While full justification is acceptable with small fonts and/or a large screen to avoid the large gaps between the words, left justification works better with a smaller screen and/or larger fonts.

Since others have commented on paragraph spacing, when given the option I prefer a blank line between the paragraphs with a visible marker between the sections, and no first-line indent. Other ways are fine, but this is the one I prefer.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:57 PM   #72
Ozymango
Ozymango can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueOzymango can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueOzymango can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueOzymango can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueOzymango can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueOzymango can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueOzymango can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueOzymango can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueOzymango can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueOzymango can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueOzymango can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Nook HD+, HD (Cyanogenmod, LineageOS), Simple Touch (rooted), various
I'm enjoying learning from all the responses here, very fascinating thread.

As for me, I lean towards a ragged right border (left align), it's just a bit "easier on my eyes." But it's not a huge deal, just a preference.

And to me one of the hands-down coolest things about e-books is that I can choose to justify text, left align, right align, center align ... whatever I prefer at the moment. Ain't technology grand? :-)
Ozymango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:42 PM   #73
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
I just broke the tie.

I feel like the Vice President.

Left. Justified's not normal in an e-book. All those white spaces, hyphenations etc. Read the words as they come, as they should be. Left.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:43 PM   #74
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I really don't care about the alignment of chapter headings, just as long as there aren't too many of them. Books that have 100+ chapters when the whole book is only a few hundred pages long - now that bugs me.

OOPS I meant to post this in the thread about chapter title alignment. Going over there now

Last edited by 4691mls; 01-31-2013 at 09:29 AM.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:58 AM   #75
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
And we're back to a 50/50 split once again at 75 each, which is really what I expected to see.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote