Notices

Old 09-07-2009, 11:30 PM   #1
sazono
Member Retired
sazono began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600
djvu files on prs 600?

Hey,
I just got the new prs 600. I have a huge collection of .djvu books(mostly math related), but the problem is that the device doesn't support .djvu books. I know I can convert my .djvus to .pdfs but the problem is that the pdfs will come out to be image based(so i won't be able to change the font sizes) and the pdfs often turn out to be HUGE(a 5mb .djvu file will turn out to be about 80mb). I'm just wondering, is there like a way to um...hack it? I don't know, I mean after hacking my psp I can actually read .djvu file on it. Or is there an alternate solution?

sazono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:26 AM   #2
el.astrologo
Groupie
el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-700BC
Hi JunichiK...

As far as I am aware, there is no way for the PRS series to read .djvu files "right out of the box", you have to do a bit of juggling first.

The way I've been handling these files is converting them to pdfs and then using Adobe Acrobat's function to recognize text in the images. A bit annoying, I admit, but it's as good as it gets.

Or at least, as good as I know it gets perhaps other members here have the know-how to make this work
el.astrologo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2009, 04:03 AM   #3
sergmoj
sergmoj began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
pdflrf - IMHO it can convert djvu also...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ht=pdflrf+djvu

Last edited by sergmoj; 09-08-2009 at 04:07 AM.
sergmoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:04 AM   #4
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergmoj View Post
pdflrf - IMHO it can convert djvu also...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ht=pdflrf+djvu
AFAIK You ment IIRC not IMHO

ROFLOLMAO L8R!

Last edited by Andybaby; 09-08-2009 at 07:07 AM.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:40 PM   #5
sazono
Member Retired
sazono began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600
thnx a lot =D
sazono is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2009, 08:52 PM   #6
schmolch
Connoisseur
schmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it is

Device: Kindle
Make sure your PDF is Black & White, this way the filesize will only be about 50% larger.

Last edited by schmolch; 09-21-2009 at 09:19 PM.
schmolch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:34 AM   #7
Cue
Cue began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
I just converted a 10MB djvu file to pdf and it came out as 1.25GB
anyway I tried to open this file in acrobat to turn the images into text but I get this error

"insufficient data for an image"

what does that mean.
it's 1.25GB, surely that's enough data
Cue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:00 PM   #8
bojkoboy
bojkoboy began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-600
Could anyone resolve the issues with converting djvu files to pdf with good result?

I' m just having this problem- I have converted djvu to pdf but the device ( Sony PRS 600) refuses to zoom the text and it is practically unreadable.The dictionary doesnt work as well. Anyone to help me?
Thanks in advance.
bojkoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:28 PM   #9
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
djvu files are just a bunch of images

There's no way to convert them to text-based files in any format without doing an OCR. If you don't want to do that, then extract the images and convert to jpg then make an epub that just strings the jpgs together, there's discussion about doing this for comics in the epub forum.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 08:00 PM   #10
Hanselda
Enthusiast
Hanselda began at the beginning.

Device: CyBook, Sony PRS 600
If you have some math books, forget about OCR, the best solution is still to save it as images and then convert images to pdf. To reduce the size one should resize the image and also reduce the color depth of the image. The image size that suits the reader is relatively low and the original resolution of djvu might be extraordinarily high! Without downscaling the image the size can be extremely large.

In principle on can just reduce the color depth to 4 bit B/W for sony reader but I suggest to use at least 6 bit B/W. pdf have good supports in png and gif format with reduced color depth.
Hanselda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 03:32 AM   #11
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
If you stay with pictures, you can also extract the images from the djvu files and name them accordingly, including a number for each page. This way, you don't have one single file, but it's fairly usable with the picture viewer on the reader. With the images numbered properly, a page turn will bring you to the next/previous image. And with the images named properly, you can "browse" the images on the reader and even find different "books" by the filename.

I did this for picture pdfs before (pdfs containing pages as images instead of layouted text). But I went with jpgs as these can be compressed and provided real small files which loaded pretty fast on the reader.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:30 PM   #12
Cue
Cue began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by bojkoboy View Post
Could anyone resolve the issues with converting djvu files to pdf with good result?

I' m just having this problem- I have converted djvu to pdf but the device ( Sony PRS 600) refuses to zoom the text and it is practically unreadable.The dictionary doesnt work as well. Anyone to help me?
Thanks in advance.
I converted the djvu to PDF using another converter and it worked. I then used Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro to optimize the PDF file (OCR, alignment, remove scan artefacts, etc). As charleski said this converts it to text and it looks fine, even with maths formulas, what causes problems with formulas is the way you zoom in on the actual reader. One of them is changing font size which means a text reflow that results in formulas becoming misaligned and unreadable, a lot like ASCII art in notepad when you have text wrap on, but the other zoom is fine. In the end there is nothing to lose with converting it to text because the font size option isn't available when it's an image anyway and you gain the dictionary option when it's text.

If the file isn't confidential I can optimize the PDF for you, just PM me.

Last edited by Cue; 04-19-2010 at 08:36 PM.
Cue is offline   Reply With Quote