Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-29-2012, 12:31 PM   #1
ErikaGC
ErikaGC began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Exclamation Keeping books in order.

I have a kindle keyboard, I use Calibre to keep my books nicely organized and such, but I can't keep them in order on the Kindle.
I have all the books organized in collections, but what I mean is keeping the series books in order, since I don't want to have to keep checking what book is next when I am on the go.
Is there any way I can organize the books?
Thanks for the help.
ErikaGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:48 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
IIRC you can use a plugboard to add the series info to the book title when it's transferred to the device, provided the books are DRM free.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2012, 12:51 PM   #3
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
I rename the books in Calibre in order - "01 Philosophers Scone", "02 Chamber of Cigarettes" etc.

The Kindle doesn't read the series book # metadata, so as far as I know, this is the simplest solution.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:18 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
I rename the books in Calibre in order - "01 Philosophers Scone", "02 Chamber of Cigarettes" etc.

The Kindle doesn't read the series book # metadata, so as far as I know, this is the simplest solution.
You can automate this process in Calibre. As the previous poster said, you can use a Plugboard to automatically prefix the series name and number within the series to the title. Works beautifully, and it's a heck of a lot easier than editing your titles manually.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:22 PM   #5
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You can automate this process in Calibre. As the previous poster said, you can use a Plugboard to automatically prefix the series name and number within the series to the title. Works beautifully, and it's a heck of a lot easier than editing your titles manually.
Thanks. I had no idea. Would it be possible to prefix just the book # (without the series name) to the titles?
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2012, 01:41 PM   #6
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
Thanks. I had no idea. Would it be possible to prefix just the book # (without the series name) to the titles?
I haven't tried it, but you can probably omit [series] from the suggested templates from the plugboard thread to only add series index to the titles.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:18 PM   #7
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
I have the following set as the source template

Code:
{series}{series_index:0>2s| - | - }{title}
with "title" as the destination field.

However, if you don't want the series name as a prefix, omit it as well as the - that would be used as the series - index separator, e.g

Code:
{series_index:0>2s|| - }{title}
That will give you

Code:
01 - Name of Book
for books that are part of a series, or just

Code:
Name of Book
for the rest.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:41 PM   #8
hrairoorah
hrairoorah began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle fire, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
I have the following set as the source template

Code:
{series}{series_index:0>2s| - | - }{title}
with "title" as the destination field.

However, if you don't want the series name as a prefix, omit it as well as the - that would be used as the series - index separator, e.g

Code:
{series_index:0>2s|| - }{title}
That will give you

Code:
01 - Name of Book
for books that are part of a series, or just

Code:
Name of Book
for the rest.

Is there a tut or set of instructions on exactly how to do this. I too have been manually adding 01, 02, 03 to my titles as I go. I should would like to be able to automate this.
hrairoorah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:24 AM   #9
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Keeping books in order.

Kindle uses the publication date as a secondary sort field. So within an author's group of books (sorting by author) it puts them in order of publication date, most recent first, etc... What I do is I modify the publication date to bogus dates in order to reverse the order so that book 1 of a series is first. I hope that's clear.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:43 AM   #10
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Kindle uses the publication date as a secondary sort field. So within an author's group of books (sorting by author) it puts them in order of publication date, most recent first, etc... What I do is I modify the publication date to bogus dates in order to reverse the order so that book 1 of a series is first. I hope that's clear.
That's a nifty little factoid I wasn't aware of. I'd used some of the other tricks (plugboard, changing titles, etc...), but never knew that the publication date had anything to do with sort order.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote