Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 06-09-2011, 09:16 PM   #1
NorthboundTrain
NorthboundTrain began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Converting from Zip to MOBI - Sections not detected

Calibre: 0.8.4

I'm converting from ZIP to MOBI, for uploading to a Kindle 3. My problem is that the conversion is losing the section information; when I view the MOBI file in Calibre, <Ctrl>-<PgDn> does not take me to the next chapter. Using the same source files, ZIP to EPUB does convert correctly. I ran the ZIP to MOBI conversion with Debug on and the toc.ncx file gets generated fine (at least as far as I can tell). Any ideas what I could be doing wrong? Thanks!
NorthboundTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:51 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That is a limitation of viewing MOBI files in the calibre viewer. As long as clicking the TOC button in the viewer brings up the table of contents, your MOBI is fine.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2011, 02:52 AM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Note that the Calibre viewer is really only an EPUB viewer - any other format is first converted to EPUB before the viewer loads it. This means that the Calibre viewer is only indicative of what the MOBI file will look like on a real Kindle.

This means that when you use the Calibre viewer to open a MOBI file Calibre will first do an MOBI->EPUB conversion and it could be there that the information is being lost/changed. It may be fine in the MOBI file and you cannot test that without actually loading it into a real Kindle (or one of the Amazon supplied Kindle emulators for other platforms).
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:53 AM   #4
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Crossed posts with Kovid and Itimpi - the Calibre viewer is not the best way to see if a Mobi file converted perfectly - in order to display it Calibre converts from mobi back to an internal format that's similar to epub.

Use the Kindle Previewer to see a book exactly as it will display on a Kindle with Navpoints, etc:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000234621
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:30 AM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post
Use the Kindle Previewer to see a book exactly as it will display on a Kindle with Navpoints, etc:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000234621
I thought of suggesting that, but I noticed that OP was using Ubuntu. As far as I know the Kindle Previweer is only available for Windows and Mac OSX?
Advert
Old 06-10-2011, 05:57 AM   #6
RecQuery
RecQuery began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
I thought of suggesting that, but I noticed that OP was using Ubuntu. As far as I know the Kindle Previweer is only available for Windows and Mac OSX?
Kindle for PC will work on Linux if you have Wine 1.3
RecQuery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:03 AM   #7
itimpi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecQuery View Post
Kindle for PC will work on Linux if you have Wine 1.3
Good information.

Do you know if the Kindle Previewer will work under Wine? It gives a better emulation of a real Kindle so can be better for testing what it will look like on the physical device.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:01 AM   #8
NorthboundTrain
NorthboundTrain began at the beginning.

Thanks for the help! I gave up on the round-trip to the Kindle too soon, I guess, and hit up against the MOBI/Calibre limit. Dang, could have saved a couple of hours and a few grey hairs, but all's well that ends well -- it all works, now. Thanks again!
NorthboundTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:29 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Kindle Previewer works fine with wine.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mobi conversion