Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 03-25-2011, 04:43 PM   #1
JBrondos
Edge User

WiFi Switch an SIM card slot

After watching the nice help videos for the Entourage eDGe, I noticed that there were two features which I don't think were covered by the tutorials -- and I wondered if anyone could tell me more about them.

(1) There's a WiFi switch on the "top" edge of the eDGe between the SD card slot and the PC USB input. When my eDGe is on and I move it to the "off" position, a little airplane silhouette appears in the top menu bar. Airport mode? What does the switch do and how is it effectively used?

(2) And then, right next to the SD card slot is a SIM card slot. What is that -- or more importantly -- how would an Entourage eDGe user make the best use of it?

Old 03-25-2011, 04:48 PM   #2
gecko
Edge User

(1) WiFi switch switches off the Wifi. Really. Plus the Bluetooth, and such - this puts it into airplane mode, which you can, um, use on an airplance. The theory is that it won't broadcast anything that disrupts the navigational system of the airplane. You can also use the switch to test if this theory is correct, but you might be arrested.

(2) The simcard slot has no function on the current machine, so you might as well use it for storing sandwiches, although they will have to be very small. Liverwurst, maybe.

Advert
Old 03-25-2011, 04:50 PM   #3
borisb
Edge User

1) "Airport/Airplane mode" means all radios turned off, in this case Wifi and Bluetooth. Unfortunately, the Wifi switch doesn't work reliably, so you should use a widget (like Power Control) instead to turn them off. That's for the larger EE. The PE has no Wifi switch; instead you press and hold the Rotate switch and select "Airplane mode".

2) The SIM card does nothing. Period. A nice thought with the dream of having a 3G model that never materialized.

Last edited by borisb; 03-25-2011 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Corrected "SIM card", lol

Old 03-25-2011, 07:05 PM   #4
Dr. T
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post

2) The SD card does nothing. Period. A nice thought with the dream of having a 3G model that never materialized.
Correction, the SIM card slot does nothing...

Old 03-25-2011, 07:11 PM   #5
borisb
Edge User

That's just too funny! Thanks for catching that, Dr. T Clearly I'm not used to discussing the "SIM" card

Advert