Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-12-2007, 03:35 AM   #1
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
Maybe our battery problems are over

EEstore has been very secretive about the development of its new battery technology. Rumblings about its new technology have been around for about a year. But now the cat is out of the bag. The EEstore technology is not a chemical battery like Lithium Ion and Lead-acid technology. It is a new type of high capacity storage capacitor. You can read about the technic here.

Engadget has an update on the company and where they are headed with the technology. There are some electric vehicles on the near horizon.

Why should this technology excite us? Capacitor batteries can be charged in a fraction of a second. They are cheap to make and use no toxic chemicals. They can be depleted and recharged many more times than chemical batteries. Finally we may have laptop batteries that will go for days, and we can power our readers for a much longer period even if they use LCD technology.
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:56 AM   #2
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
That's an exciting thought!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2007, 08:13 AM   #3
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
The more I read about upcoming technology, the happier I am that I was born in my current generation. If I was born when my grandparent, or even parents were, I'd be missing out on all this cool stuf.

Capaictor Batteries? I wonder how they solved the quick discharge properties of capacitors...
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:23 AM   #4
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Sounds great. But it will be unnecessary when Steorn finally releases their Orbo
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:31 AM   #5
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble View Post
Sounds great. But it will be unnecessary when Steorn finally releases their Orbo
Is that the one with Nano technology Litium Ion? I was listening to a podcast on electric cars yesterday that was featuring that. Very promising. They say 25,000 charging cycles compared to the actual 500!!?!!

I've been waiting for capacitor techno to progress for years. Battery equiped devices could last much longer. Take a power tool for instance. I have outdated all my drills since they first appeared in the early eighties because of the price of batteries. It's cheaper to buy a new drill kit than to buy the two separate batteries that come with it. And all that toxic mess we have to disposes of? Capacitors last much longer.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2007, 01:12 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble View Post
I don't know about you, but this sounds to me like it might be a bit more portable than the Orbo thing.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 03:29 PM   #7
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
ehm.. as I read it, the EEstore thingie are capacitors and are meant for electronic vehicles more than handheld devices. Although in time it could help the development of compact power.

The steorn is a laughing stock. Just some child's toy using magnets. And it didn't even work. http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/07/s...we-screwed-up/
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 03:36 PM   #8
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
I knew the name was familiar. Shure took me a while to add up!

It's Roland's thread.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 04:47 PM   #9
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
The more I read about upcoming technology, the happier I am that I was born in my current generation. If I was born when my grandparent, or even parents were, I'd be missing out on all this cool stuf.

Capaictor Batteries? I wonder how they solved the quick discharge properties of capacitors...
Just remember that your children and grandchildren will think these exciting to you innovations are just ho-hum stuff to them. In the same way prior generations were astounded by television, computers, and space flight to just name three. To my Grandfather airplanes were a wonder. Each generation takes the achievements of prior generations for granted.

I still have 33-1/3, 45, and 78 rpm records in the basement alongside the CDs.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 04:51 PM   #10
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Hehe, yes the Orbo seems to be a joke or scam of some kind. So i would instantly go for the capacitator batteries. The almost instant recharging times alone would be reason enough to use them.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote