Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 04-27-2013, 04:18 AM   #556
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I totally agree with you. It can get ugly. I have seen it in the past. I have had author contact me once asking me to change my review. I kind of freaked out and just removed it. I at the time didn't realize authors read reviews. I figure it was for the reader but they do read them a lot I know that now.
Wow! That was incredibly rude of the author. That kind of behavior would make me never want to read an author again. And reviews are for readers not authors. Then again, grownup authors understand that.
library addict is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:29 AM   #557
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Yeah, if an author did that (contact me about a not-so-glowing review), I just might put them on the do not read list. If I see an author start craziness on social media, they also go on the DNR list. There are just too many other authors out there to read to have to put up with that. If one cannot take criticism about one's work, either you should just not read reviews or find another profession where that doesn't happen (that would be hard to do, though).
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:39 PM   #558
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Free @ Amazon

Bringing Down Sam by Leslie Kelly
(Temptation In The City)
Harlequin Author

His Majesty, the Prince of Toads by Delle Jacobs

Come Be My Love by Patricia Watters

All The Right Reasons by Sandy James
[Damaged Heroes 3]
(BookStrand Publishing Romance)

Coming Home by Laurie Breton
(Jackson Falls Series)

Indies:

The Counterfeit Cavalier, Volumes 1-4 by Lydia M. Sheridan
The Complete Edition (Short stories)
The Counterfeit Cavalier is a sweet romp on the traditional Regency style.

Rebel Heart by Lizzy Ford
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:40 PM   #559
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by library addict View Post
Wow! That was incredibly rude of the author. That kind of behavior would make me never want to read an author again. And reviews are for readers not authors. Then again, grownup authors understand that.
It happened a long time ago and the author is pretty known now so I hope they have learned to have a thicker skin.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:53 PM   #560
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
Yeah, if an author did that (contact me about a not-so-glowing review), I just might put them on the do not read list. If I see an author start craziness on social media, they also go on the DNR list. There are just too many other authors out there to read to have to put up with that. If one cannot take criticism about one's work, either you should just not read reviews or find another profession where that doesn't happen (that would be hard to do, though).
It depends for me. if a author has a issue with something I can usually ignore it unless it gets really bad I realize in this day and age we have a way of getting to the know the person behind the book which isn't always a good thing. They deserve to have rights and opinions just like any other person. I won't stop reading someone just because we have different views or the author is too sensitive and can't handle an online presence. I realize we are all humans and I am probably more forgiving then most because I have seen craziness and many dramas happen in the gaming community I was apart of for 12 years. I try not to let drama influence my reading habits. I don't agree with reviewers being stalked or vice versa though. That is just nuts. Authors need to realize some fans may not be stable and proceed with caution when trying to get those pats on the back to feel better. Same goes with some reviewers out there who also rally the troops to pick on some author who they disagree with.

Last edited by Blossom; 04-27-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:36 PM   #561
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
I've seen an author, after a bad review, "rally the troops" in a forum once, also posting said review, and I swore I would never read a thing she wrote (at that point in time all her titles were contemporary romances). The thread was subsequently deleted, but there were many comments to this particular review, and I had to wonder if any of the commenters had even read her book. FWIW, it looked to me that the reviewer had legitimate concerns.

Everyone's entitled to an opinion, and not all are going to be positive. *shrugs*
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:06 PM   #562
NixLapi
Addict
NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Sometimes social media is such a bad thing, with virtually just nothing being private anymore - including totally subjective personal ratings! I tend to keep my ratings to Goodreads and rarely rate on Amazon or elsewhere. I try to be kind even when I don't like a book because there is a person behind that book... but at the same time they're asking us to pay for their words and we should have a right to comment without fear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Come Be My Love by Patricia Watters

Coming Home
by Laurie Breton
(Jackson Falls Series)
Oooh one set in Canada, and another I almost bought recently at $0.99! Great finds!
NixLapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:14 PM   #563
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NixLapi View Post
Oooh one set in Canada, and another I almost bought recently at $0.99! Great finds!
It seems to be pattern toward the end of the month you can barely find anything good for free. It always picks up comes the first of the month though. Happy to find something someone wanted.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:43 PM   #564
worktolive
Guru
worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by worktolive View Post
Free today: This Time Next Door by Gretchen Galway.
This book is still free, and I started reading it today because I was in the mood for a geeky hero after finishing a dark UF book. I'm about halfway through and really enjoying it.

Along with the geeky hero, it also features a heroine who totally refreshing - she's a plus sized woman (size 16-18 I believe), but unlike the usual trope in romance where women with curves feel all self-conscious, hide under baggy clothes, never go out, etc., this girl is bold, dates frequently, is totally into fashion and appearance, and although she is athletic, she isn't obsessed with her weight and constantly dieting. I'm loving that. We need more heroines like her. Although I haven't finished it yet, I would recommend the book for that alone.
worktolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:24 PM   #565
auntykatkat
Evangelist
auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook/Nook Color
Found today: Claudy Conn's Lady Bess

I can't get the link to work so search for the title here.

Bess Saunders has fallen in love. He is big, he is charmingly masculine, and his Scottish accent sends her reeling with very unmaiden-like desires.
Having inherited his mother’s English home and title, Earl of Dunkirk of Scotland is considered a prize catch by the haute ton. He knows one day he will have to marry to carry on his name, but he wants a wife who ‘understands’ they will each go their own way after she gives him an heir—a marriage of convenience.
Lady Bess does not fit into those plans. How could she? She is exquisite, yes, but she is also an innocent who expects faithfulness. He won’t ruin an innocent, and yet, he can’t get her out of his head.
All this time, and right in their midst, evil hovers. Although Bess doesn’t look for it, she finds it—and Bess is not your average, simpering female. She takes on danger and mayhem like she does everything else: full throttle.
Adventure ensues as we travel with Bess through romance and the battle of her life.
auntykatkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:18 PM   #566
bookratt
Wizard
bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS505 & PRS600, iPad, Pandigital Novel, iPad 2
How (Not) to Kiss a Toad (Cindy Eller #1) [Kindle Edition]
Elizabeth A Reeves (Author)

http://www.amazon.com/Kiss-Toad-Cind...154606011_f_39

Quote:
Cindy Eller is a witch with a gift for creating decadent desserts highlighting the exotic and spicy flavors of her native Southwest. However, life isn't always sweet for this magical baker. All her life she's been cursed-- every man she's ever kissed has turned into a toad. Love isn't likely to come her way, she knows.

If that weren't a big enough problem, her 'curse' has come to the attention of the Council of Magic and she may never be able to use her powers.

Enter the perfect man-- handsome, sweet, and loves food just as much as Cindy does. It would seem to be a match made in Heaven, or is it?

Cindy isn't the only one keeping secrets.

With toads, cupcakes, romance, magic and ice cream, life never has time to get dull!
bookratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:30 PM   #567
bookratt
Wizard
bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS505 & PRS600, iPad, Pandigital Novel, iPad 2
True Love [Kindle Edition]
Destin Bays (Author)

http://www.amazon.com/True-Love-eboo...154606011_f_21

Quote:
"Two couples, one desire, separated by thousands of years" will come to define "True Love" for the reader. The first couple, Mikolas and Helena, meet during the Festival of Dionysus in the last row of a Greek amphitheater. It is 326 BC and fate brings the two together. In the second love story another young man, Nikolas, is brought by chance to what is now the ruin of the same amphitheater lying along the Crimean coast of the Black Sea, and he meets Elena, again in the last row of the amphitheater.

For both couples their first eye contact lights a flame that will burn bright as they explore their intense feelings. Other shared interests will be revealed: Mikolas and Nikolas's love for the sea and the ships and yachts that sail the world, Helena and Elena's love for painting and its meaning will become evident as both stories unfold.

These short but beautifully told tales will answer the readers question "Is all of this simply coincidence?" or perhaps the similarities reveal a truth about one of the Novel's quotations: "Some love lasts a life time. True Love lasts forever."
bookratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:36 PM   #568
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntykatkat View Post
Found today: Claudy Conn's Lady Bess

I can't get the link to work so search for the title here.
Here
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:00 PM   #569
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Free @ Amazon

Fairytale by Maggie Shayne
(Fairies of Rush)
Formally published by Avon in 1996

A Night Of Secrets by Lori Brighton
(The Night Series)

Sex and Key Lime Pie by Kat Attalla

Needing Nita by Norah Wilson
(Serve and Protect Series)

To Tame A Dragon by Megan Bryce
(The Reluctant Bride Collection)

Indies:

Every Last Kiss by Courtney Cole
(The Bloodstone Saga)

Made For Another by Alesha Cary
(Caroline Dawson Series - Book 1)

Blakewood by Sable Grey

Christy's Ghost by Sable Grey

No Shoes, No Shirt, No Spells by Rose Pressey
(Mystic Cafe Series)

Last edited by Blossom; 04-28-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:19 PM   #570
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Oops I forgot to mention the Maggie Shayne Book was a Avon title from 1996. I've updated the info now. I am thrilled to get her books for free!

So what are you reading this weekend? I am reading Weddings Can be Murder by Christie Craig. This is a book I own 3 copies of. Dorchester gave it away a few years ago. I also own the paperback and I bought the ebook again so the author would actually get paid because I want her to write more books.

I should know never to start one of her books on a weekend when my husband is home. It got so bad last night that I was grounded to our bedroom to read. Yes it's that funny! I laughing and giggling on almost every page. I looked up and he gave me the look. He was trying to study. Poor guy. I was giggling my way up the stairs. I couldn't help it.

I thought this was going to be a whodoneit type story but it isn't. It reminds me of sitcom and it is on the cheese side. The author put some really outrageous moments in this book.

They should put a disclaimer on her books: Do not read in public unless you want to look like a lunatic.

Last edited by Blossom; 04-28-2013 at 05:33 PM.