Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-10-2009, 05:36 PM   #1
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Update on K1 battery

My Kindle1 is 15 months old, and the battery is working just fine. However, I wanted a spare as a backup if the old one ever dies. So, I placed my order with Amazon almost two months ago, and still nothing.

BatteryShip.com , among others, has them for $18.96. I ordered about a week ago and it arrived today.

It is difficult to believe that Amazon would engage in such shoddy marketing practices as to make the battery unavailable just to get K1 owners to upgrade, but one has to wonder. If several other vendors have the battery and are shipping it immediately, how can Amazon continue to claim they are out of stock. I know some people have gotten them, but I waited two months. I just canceled todayl

Very disappointed with Amazon for the first timel
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:41 PM   #2
InlawBiker
Connoisseur
InlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1.0
Mmmm, I too find it hard to believe they'd avoid shipping a battery in effort to spur Kindle-2 sales. That makes no sense at all. Did you try calling them? Big companies do dumb things, like order 100,000 batteries and wait until they're all produced to save on shipping.
InlawBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2009, 05:47 PM   #3
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by InlawBiker View Post
Mmmm, I too find it hard to believe they'd avoid shipping a battery in effort to spur Kindle-2 sales. That makes no sense at all. Did you try calling them? Big companies do dumb things, like order 100,000 batteries and wait until they're all produced to save on shipping.
Yeah, I did call a couple of weeks ago and just got the feeble response that they have no idea when mine will ship, and they are doing the best they can. CS used to be great, but now I wonder.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:54 PM   #4
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Amazon doesn't seem to care much about parts and batteries, they don't offer replacement parts nor have a timely vendor for the batteries.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:39 PM   #5
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I think the problem is they've had an unexpected demand for batteries.

There's a lot of threads on the Amazon kindle forums with people bitching about batteries that quit holding a charge at all after a few months.

Sounds like they probably had some batches of defective batteries and now have had more people replacing batteries in a bit over a year than they expected given the number of charged these type of batteries should be able to take before degrading that far.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2009, 04:53 PM   #6
Bluetrue
Bluetrue began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 1 and Kindle 2
You can purchase the Kindle battery at the Radio Shack website

http://www.radioshack.com/search/ind...20battery&sr=1

Right now they are out of stock but you can have them email you when they come in. I just purchased one two weeks ago as a backup. You need to act fast as they seem to go out of stock quickly.
Bluetrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 04:56 PM   #7
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
It took almost 4 months to get a replacement battery for mine. They are waaaay slow.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:23 PM   #8
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
4 months? Jeez. I won't buy a battery through Amazon directly if it ever comes down to it.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:33 PM   #9
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I think this is simply a matter of demand exceeding available stock. I have a feeling they'll improve this sooner rather than later. Parts break or wear out and need to be replaced; completely normal.
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:37 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Canton View Post
I think this is simply a matter of demand exceeding available stock. I have a feeling they'll improve this sooner rather than later. Parts break or wear out and need to be replaced; completely normal.
Actually, I think this is so people with a K1 that has a battery that needs replacing will get so sick and tired of waiting for a new battery from Amazon that they might just get a K2 instead.

If you want a K1 battery, get it from BatteryShip. They say they will ship on March 31, 2009.

http://www.batteryship.com/htmlos/ht...0&model=Kindle

We now know that the backorder for the K1 was so Amazon could stop making new K1s and sell the K2 instead. So why would the K1 battery be anything more then a way to sell more K2?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:59 PM   #11
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
My last attempt to post appears to have failed to go through, possibly because of an overlong link. The short version is that searching for "kindle battery" on the Amazon web site now turns up a non-Amazon vendor (Adorama Camera) who has them in stock.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote