Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-07-2009, 09:43 PM   #1
uncultured
uncultured began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Errors and Errors...

Hi Everyone

Got the new Kindle 2 a couple weeks ago. Haven't had any problems to speak of until recently--whether it's a coincidence or not, it seems to have started around the time the Kindle downloaded a software upgrade for itself. As a result, my internet service, despite the presence of 3-5 out of 5 bars, sucks. The typical message is "There was an error when processing your request" and it occurs whenever I try to search something in google, use wikipedia, access manybooks.net, etc etc. I like having wikipedia available, even if the kindle internet browser is rather slow (I suspect Kindle 3 will include a much better, "real" browser...or I hope so).

I'm not saying it's never working, it's just very unreliable all of a sudden, like I'm dealing with a 3rd world country's idea of dialup internet.

The other message is "The website you requested is not responding. Please try again later."

I've NEVER had this problem with the amazon store, only the rest of the net....

Anyone got any advice or ideas? Location doesn't seem to make a difference.
uncultured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:51 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
There were some issues earlier this week with Sprint causing connection problems. I downloaded a book yesterday with no problem. Since you are still having a problem, you should give Amazon a call.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2009, 10:14 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
The duck has a point. I haven't had any problems downloading anything, but then I don't use the basic web much.

You should call Kindle support, (contact us button on the right) use the 'call back' feature. They have really quick responses.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200317150
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:18 PM   #4
NavyDad6
Reading is FUNdamental
NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2
I just tried using the basic web and it is very spotty... a lot of "not responding" results.

But downloading works just fine.

I wonder what is going on.
NavyDad6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 11:22 AM   #5
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
It's not you, it's Amazon/Sprint because I'm having the same difficulties and there has been a lot of folks on Kindle boards on Amazon with the same complaint. So, I keep telling myself, "you bought this as a reader, now read!" But yes, it's very frustrating and really brings down the overall value of the product to me as I can't even get google mail to pop up at times, so reliability is really going out the window! Makes you wonder, "what next will fail".
I hope it gets straightened out soon, cause I am not a happy camper. Will be watching your posts for info you pass on from Amazon.
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2009, 01:40 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I think with all the new users, the system is getting 'clogged'

They will sort it out, like they did with the K1.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 05:58 PM   #7
smokey
Banned
smokey began at the beginning.

I think a big issue with the browser not working is the fact that the price of Whispernet adds significantly to the cost of the Kindle. I haven't seen an analysis of this, but I would assume the Kindle could be closer to the $299 price point with WiFi instead of 3G. I was all set to buy a Kindle when I got a chance to see a friend's. When the browser produced these errors it turned me immediately off to the Kindle, and I began looking at other readers. I figured why pay for 3G if it's not going to work. Now that this appears to be a widespread problem I am waiting to see what the resolution is before deciding on an ereader.
smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 05:11 PM   #8
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Update: Seems as if all the stars are in alignment now.... my Kindle browser is working finally. Yea!
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
internet, kindle 2