Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-05-2009, 04:27 PM   #1
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Just got a used Kindle 1--initial impressions and a quick question

After much deliberation I decided to try and pick up a used Kindle 1, and scored one 5 months old, in great condition for $200 locally on Craigslist.

An added bonus is that it has a couple books I had planned to buy on it, so that's saves me some money--this leads to my quick question. I need to hold off on registering it to my Amazon account until after I finish these books right (they were bought, not free books)?

As for initial impressions--I'm very impressed so far. It's not nearly as ugly or clunky as it looks in pictures--Kindle 2 is definitely sleeker but the 1 isn't shabby.

The screen is great, amazing how much it looks like real paper and it seems to work well in a variety of lighting so far. The interface is decent, a little clunky with the scroll wheel but not bad--especially since I generally only read one book at a time. The complaints about accidental page turns are valid for sure as it is easy to bump the page turn buttons.

In all I'm very pleased so far. It fit my budget and can definitely hold me over for a few years until prices drop and newer models with more features like color ink, wifi web surfing etc. are out.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 04:30 PM   #2
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Yes, I think once you register those books will disappear.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2009, 04:30 PM   #3
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks! I'll read the 2 I definitely want to read and check out the others before registering it.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:48 PM   #4
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I don't know if they would disappear or not, but I think reading the 2 books you want first is a good idea.

I'd also use the USB cable to make a copy of the files and store them on my PC before registering the Kindle. That way, even if they disappear you might still be able to redownload them from your PC. I don't know if they'll be readable after registering, but it's certainly worth a try.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:09 PM   #5
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I would imagine the person who sold the kindle has already deregistered it. Wouldn't that delete the books?

Glad you like it. I have the kindle 1, and covet the kindle 2, but until they come out with folders, I'm sticking with the original. Debra
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2009, 05:38 PM   #6
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
I would imagine the person who sold the kindle has already deregistered it. Wouldn't that delete the books?
They did de-register it (can tell as it shows up as unregistered in the settings), but the books stay on apparently until it's registered to a new account.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:53 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Hmm... I'd like to know the answer to this. But, technically since the books is encrypted for the Kindle not the account holder (as is done with Sony and Adobe) the ebooks should still work.

So, the question is will Amazon delete those books when you register to the new account and they aren't in that accounts media library. I guess they could. But, you would have to turn on the wireless for this to happen.

So, you can register the Kindle on Amazon using the serial number. Just don't turn on the wireless. This way you can still shop/buy/download books and put them on your kindle.

Let us know what happens.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:27 PM   #8
dmaul1114
Wizard

Yeah, I'll read the books I want to read ASAP and then report back what happens when I register it.

But from a google, that appears to be the case. If you register through the unit you lose the books tied to the other account. If you do it online, you lose it as soon as the wireless connects--so your idea should work. But I won't chance it since I want to read those 2 books first.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:31 PM   #9
stoogeswoman
Zealot
stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: eBookwise 1150 and Kindle 1
I also bought a used Kindle 1.0 from an Amazon seller, who left two books on it for me. They didn't disappear when I registered it to me, and in fact she told me she left them there intentionally, to help me get started. :-)
stoogeswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:31 PM   #10
InlawBiker
Connoisseur
InlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1.0
I just bought one off Craigslist as well, 5 months old, same price. I couldn't be much happier, except for trying to get library books to work.

At any rate the previous owner deregistered his Kindle right in front of me. I registered myself shortly after and his books remained. As far as I can tell they'll stay with the device forever. I ended up deleting most of them (there's no accounting for taste...) but kept a few that looked interesting.

Greg
InlawBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:39 PM   #11
dmaul1114
Wizard

The question then is were the books they left Kindle store purchased books or non-DRM books from other sources. From what I've gathered the latter definitely stay, but I don't have a clear answer on the DRM kindle store books.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:52 PM   #12
InlawBiker
Connoisseur
InlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1.0
They were DRM, Amazon-bought recent books and they did remain on the device.
InlawBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:42 PM   #13
dmaul1114
Wizard

Interesting. Maybe I'll be brave and try it after I finish the first of the two books.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:55 PM   #14
stoogeswoman
Zealot
stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: eBookwise 1150 and Kindle 1
Well, one of the books my Kindle's previous owner left for me was "Marley & Me" by John Grogan. It wasn't something I'd been planning to read.

But I just finished it, and man, did I ever have to scramble to explain to my boss why tears were rolling down my face when I returned from the ladies' room!

And if the p/o hadn't left it for me, I probably would never have read it! So don't delete those "leftover" books just yet - you never know, they might be something you'd enjoy.
stoogeswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:59 PM   #15
dmaul1114
Wizard

Still haven't registered mine as I'm trying to finish American Lion by Jon Meacham first just in case I lose it when registering, and it's a pretty long book.

But I will, as I said above, brave it without reading the other book as it's also non-fiction and I'll need a break and something more leisurely to read before tackling The Post-American World by Fareed Zakaria.