Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-26-2009, 06:52 PM   #1
Starhawk
Enthusiast
Starhawk began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2; Amazon 1 (returned in ancticipation of 2)
K2 v K1: Chapter-to-chapter missing from some books?

Hi,

So jumping from chapter directly to the next or previous chapter within a book is pretty easy on the K2 with its 5-way controller. I can't remember; is this new compared to the K1? Was there no jump to next chapter function in the Kindle 1?

Also, I noticed that, in a book that I purchased with my Kindle 1, "Into a Dark Realm" by Raymond E. Feist, I only have marks in the progress bar that correspond to my bookmarks. Do the chapter marks have to be baked in when they publish the book for the Kindle 2 to be able to use them? Are those chapter marks new to the AZW format, too, then, such that since this is an older Kindle book, it doesn't have chapter marks for the Kindle 2 to see?

Has anyone else noticed this with other books?
Starhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:26 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Can you still jump to the next chapter, even if the chapter marks are not present?

My initial assumption was that the Kindle 2 is keying on the table of contents to produce the chapter marks, but comments in another thread suggested otherwise.

My 2nd guess is that these are in the .mbp file, perhaps put there by the Amazon server (if so then they will only work on whispernet delivered content) but since new content is processed on the Kindle to index it perhaps this could instead be done on the Kindle after delivery. One simple test would be to delete the .mbp file associated with the .azw ebook and see what happens.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2009, 01:34 AM   #3
Starhawk
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Can you still jump to the next chapter, even if the chapter marks are not present?

My initial assumption was that the Kindle 2 is keying on the table of contents to produce the chapter marks, but comments in another thread suggested otherwise.

My 2nd guess is that these are in the .mbp file, perhaps put there by the Amazon server (if so then they will only work on whispernet delivered content) but since new content is processed on the Kindle to index it perhaps this could instead be done on the Kindle after delivery. One simple test would be to delete the .mbp file associated with the .azw ebook and see what happens.

Hm, yes, I was negligent in my initial post by not actually saying the problem...heh..the problem is, as you surmised, that I can't jump from one chapter directly to the beginning/previous or next chapter with the 5-way controller...

And I did have to download it from Amazon via Whispernet from my "Archived Items" list, as I'd purchased it with my Kindle 1, returned the K1, and now have the K2...

...I don't know about the .mbp files...do I look for them in the Kindle's file system when it's connected to my computer, then? Tho, if those are generated by the Kindle post-download, this should be a new one generated by the K2 after having just downloaded it, no?

So...since this is both a Whispernet delivered item and newly so to this Kindle 2...the chapter jumping *should* be there, no matter which scenario you suggested is true, right?

Grrr.

What else is stored in the .mbp file? If I get rid of it, would I lose my bookmarks and whatever annotations, also?
Old 03-10-2009, 05:48 PM   #4
Starhawk
Enthusiast

I've now purchased four books that don't have the chapter to chapter jumping with the 5-way controller...

* "Into a Dark Realm" by Raymond E. Feist (purchased while I had my Kindle 1, dl'ed to the K1 and later the K2)
* "Wrath of a Mad God" by Raymond E. Feist (purchased from and dl'ed to the K2)
* "About Face 3: Essentials of Interaction Design" by Alan Cooper, Robert Reimann, and David Cronin (purchased web browser at Amazon.com and dl'ed to the K2)
* "The Outsretched Shadow" by Mercedes Lackey and James Mallory

I'd sent a note to Amazon's support, and got the response below. Apparently the chapter to chapter jumping is something the publisher has to build in, and they don't all do it.

Harrumph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazonSupport
Hello,

Thank you for inquiring about this book missing Chapter markers. The books is actually delivered wirelessly to Amazon by the publishers/authors. There is not a way to know if the book actually has chapter indicators prior to purchasing.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may has caused you.

Thank you for choosing Amazon Kindle.

To contact us about an unrelated issue, please visit the Help section of our web site.

Best regards,

[snipped Amazon customer support representative's name]
Amazon.com
We're Building Earth's Most Customer-Centric Company
http://www.amazon.com/your-account

---- Original message: ----

---------------
03/03/09 15:51:07
Your Name: [snipped]
Order Id:
Comments:
I've also since purchased and now read the sequel to "Into a Dark Realm", "Wrath of a Mad God", and that book also does not seem to have chapter markings.

Can you verify and explain why these features are missing from these books? and also detail how I can anticipate whether any other books I might consider ar missing these features?

Thanks!
Old 03-10-2009, 06:27 PM   #5
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Has anybody built a book with mbp::section tags and seen if this gives you chapter marks?

It would probably be relatively easy writing a programt that takes a book with a TOC and add mbp::section at the correct places.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert