Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-29-2021, 01:29 AM   #1
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
"New" Kobo Mini

Shop Goodwill recently had a Kobo Mini with an OEM sleep cover for sale (starting bid $9, plus nearly $7 shipping to my area of the country). The blurb seemed a little ambiguous about its condition ("can't charge it because we don't have a charger") so I kind of figured something might be wrong with the Mini, but it was worth it for the sleep cover. The sleep cover I have on my other Minis are Navitechs (bulky with a huge clasp on it, though it does work as sleep cover).

At any rate, no one else bid on the Mini so I got it for $16 (with shipping). Physically it was like new (as was the cover). It showed 100% charged but the battery was completely dead. The only way I could get it turned on was to plug it in. Once I plugged I saw that it had the books that came with FamilyAffiliate Kobos (plus one). I'm guessing it was a gift and never used, so it was probably sitting for years without being charged.

It had old software and, even though I could connect with its WiFi it would not (of course) update or register. I got out my only Windows half-computer (one Vista partition on the laptop, plus a Linux partition). I installed Kobo Desktop, it saw the Mini and tried to update, but it kept timing out. Never did figure out the deal was.

So I downloaded the 4.19 firmware, hooked up to my Linux computer, and chose register via Kobo Desktop. At that point I could see the Kobo so I copied over the update software, rebooted, and it updated. Then I was able to register it and download my books — all this while the battery was completely dead.

Then I decided the Mini too nice not to fix (screen is brighter than the other Minis I've seen) so I opened it up, saw that the old battery was "puffy" and removed it. Then I looked up batteries for the Kobo. The Russian site came through...

https://e-ink-reader.ru/battery_info_en.php?dev_id=80

It gave me a link to where I could buy replacement battery...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3286...3678daab151148

I didn't buy the battery there, but it gave me the number so I could try to find the battery on eBay (hopefully in the U.S.)

Lithium polymer battery 383759 3.7V lipo battery 1000mah

On eBay I found the following seller (among others)... Supposedly ships from China, they gave me a range of November 10th to December 28th. Ah well, can't be helped.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255080160351?var=555060290534

It didn't ship from China, though. It came from Hawthorne, California. I guess they keep a certain number of these in the U.S. so I lucked out. It still took 10 days to arrive (October 23rd) because they took a few days to ship and they used DHL Ecommerce / USPS option, which is always slow. At any rate it arrived much faster than I expected.

All I had to do now was install. As you can see in the attached image, it was the right length and width, but a little narrower. I don't currently have a soldering iron (and never could solder with a dang) so I just cut the wires (leaving as much length leftover as I could), twisted them together and used electrical to insulate and keep them from "untwisting." You can see my sloppy work in the second image (actually it wasn't quite as sloppy when finished). I used packing tape curled on itself as my "glue" (double-stick tape) and installed the battery. After I made sure it worked and charged, I put it back together.

Now I've got a like-new, working Kobo Mini. The battery took a while to fully charge (which I considered to be a good sign) and it's discharging REALLY slowly — which makes a little worried that it's not sending the right signal to the Kobo and I'm not getting a true percentage. Even if the percentage isn't right, it will still recharge.

At any rate, if you have a Kobo Mini with a dead (or nearly dead) battery, it can be fixed. I'm enjoying using it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery3.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	612.6 KB
ID:	189875   Click image for larger version

Name:	internal3.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	380.2 KB
ID:	189876   Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo3.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	575.8 KB
ID:	189877   Click image for larger version

Name:	cover3.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	384.5 KB
ID:	189878  

Last edited by rcentros; 10-29-2021 at 01:31 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 02:58 AM   #2
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I don't currently have a soldering iron (and never could solder with a dang) so I just cut the wires
https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005002981973425.html

The seller on ebay has several battery connectors to choose from, did not have the right one?
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2021, 05:43 AM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005002981973425.html

The seller on ebay has several battery connectors to choose from, did not have the right one?
No. I got what I thought was the closest — it was too big. As for those "clamps" pictured, the ones I would have to use would have been very, very small. I don't think my hands are that coordinated anymore.
Old 10-29-2021, 07:08 AM   #4
dpoirier
dpoirier began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Forma
Nice work!
dpoirier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 10:55 AM   #5
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Wow, that took some real dedication! I'm glad you are enjoying it after all that effort!
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2021, 04:25 PM   #6
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Impressive!
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 05:43 PM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpoirier View Post
Nice work!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Wow, that took some real dedication! I'm glad you are enjoying it after all that effort!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Impressive!
Really wasn't that impressive — I was more lucky than anything else. I was just rambling on about it because I was happy with the results. Also I wanted folks to know that the Kobo Mini's battery can be replaced, so they can be useful for many years. As for this particular Kobo Mini (which was never really used) I'm glad that it was fixable. Somehow it seems like it would have been a total waste if it hadn't been fixed — and the screen is noticeably brighter than the other Minis I've seen. I wonder if it was a newer model.

Meanwhile I've still got quite a few eReaders I need to get shed of.
Old 11-11-2021, 08:07 PM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Looks like the battery is a good replacement. The Mini battery is down to about 49% now (haven't charged it again since the first charge on the 28th of October). I've been upgrading it and syncing and generally gesting it (and reloading the dictionary several times until the last upgrade fixed it). I'm guessing I've read on it for about 8-10 hours. I'm going to use it until it gets down to about 0-5% and then recharge it for about 24 hours.
Old 11-12-2021, 01:31 PM   #9
-stepan-
Enthusiast
-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-stepan- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Nia
Quote:
Looks like the battery is a good replacement. The Mini battery is down to about 49% now (haven't charged it again since the first charge on the 28th of October). I've been upgrading it and syncing and generally gesting it (and reloading the dictionary several times until the last upgrade fixed it). I'm guessing I've read on it for about 8-10 hours. I'm going to use it until it gets down to about 0-5% and then recharge it for about 24 hours.
Hi! I have 2 Mini. In one the battery was replaced this year from Aliexpress (it was not me who bought and replaced, I can not say anything about the capacity, model, seller). I checked it experimentally - it holds about 18-20 days when reading 2.5-4 hours a day, about 200 page turns a day, updating 1 per 10 pages, FW - 4.26. The second Mini with the original battery, FW 4.30, while I have been reading 2.5-5 hours a day since November 3, shows more than 50% of the charge. In both books, the indication is not accurate - it may not change for several days, or it may immediately fall by 10-20%. Love this e-reader, and battery for Mini - very good compared to some modern e-reader without frontlight and other function. Of course, in both Mini turn on Wi-Fi - the easiest way to quickly drain the battery, but i don't need Wi-Fi at my readers.
-stepan- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 04:15 PM   #10
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Every time I see this thread pop up I get excited, just to be let down.

If Kobo makes a 5" reader with Comfortlight Pro (basically a slightly smaller Clara) I'll buy it the same day.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 06:55 PM   #11
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by -stepan- View Post
Hi! I have 2 Mini. In one the battery was replaced this year from Aliexpress (it was not me who bought and replaced, I can not say anything about the capacity, model, seller). I checked it experimentally - it holds about 18-20 days when reading 2.5-4 hours a day, about 200 page turns a day, updating 1 per 10 pages, FW - 4.26. The second Mini with the original battery, FW 4.30, while I have been reading 2.5-5 hours a day since November 3, shows more than 50% of the charge. In both books, the indication is not accurate - it may not change for several days, or it may immediately fall by 10-20%. Love this e-reader, and battery for Mini - very good compared to some modern e-reader without frontlight and other function. Of course, in both Mini turn on Wi-Fi - the easiest way to quickly drain the battery, but i don't need Wi-Fi at my readers.
I've noticed the WiFi causes a quick drop in the battery life, but then it seems to recover (sometimes) when you turn WiFi off and check a while later. I'm guessing it's measuring the current draw at the time the WiFi is turned on and making it's estimate from that. I've also noticed that the battery tends to stay even (or slightly drop) and then there's suddenly a bigger drop. I just guessed it hadn't really calibrated battery life yet but maybe it's just the nature of the Minis. Either way I'm happy with the results so far and will let the battery run down near 0% and then do a 24 hour charge.

I don't know if it's because this Mini has a black bezel (the other Minis I tried had white bezels) but the screen seems to have better contrast. At any rate I'm doing a lot of reading on the Mini (during the day). I'm enjoying it more than the Clara (probably because I figured I "rescued" it). These really are nice readers.
Old 11-12-2021, 07:02 PM   #12
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Every time I see this thread pop up I get excited, just to be let down.

If Kobo makes a 5" reader with Comfortlight Pro (basically a slightly smaller Clara) I'll buy it the same day.
First off, I'm sorry about the misleading title. I thought the quotes around "New" would give it away, but I can see where it wouldn't.

Second, I don't think there's ever going to be another 5" reader from any of the major eBook retailers (at least, probably none at all). The trend seems to be towards bigger and bigger screens (like smartphones, unfortunately).

Third, I agree. I would definitely like to see a 5" Clara. A reader you could easily carry in your front shirt pocket would be really nice.
Old 09-05-2022, 01:25 AM   #13
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Question

Quote:
I don't think there's ever going to be another 5" reader from any of the major eBook retailers (at least, probably none at all). The trend seems to be towards bigger and bigger screens (like smartphones, unfortunately).

Third, I agree. I would definitely like to see a 5" Clara. A reader you could easily carry in your front shirt pocket would be really nice.
In this thread, I talk about the brand-new (as of summer of 2022) Xiaomi Moaan InkPalm Mini Plus 5.84 (3rd Gen):

https://goodereader.com/blog/product...n-ebook-reader
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004397262841.html

There's an older version (2nd gen or 1st gen) with an even smaller screen (5.2 inches), and I guess that's the closest you can get to a Kobo Mini form factor among contemporary e-ink devices.

I eventually opted for the new Onyx Boox Poke 4 Lite instead, and I'm currently awaiting its delivery. But that's really a 6-inch device.

Earlier today, I was surprised to find my ancient Kobo Mini still sitting on a shelf. I'm currently charging it, and it works fine while connected to the charger, but I'm skeptical as to whether it will be able to hold its battery charge for even a few hours when disconnected from the charger. (I think I tried this last time a couple of years ago but the battery charge never lasted for any usable stretch of time.) Even prior to that, I stopped using the Kobo Mini for years on end.

I'm not confident enough to swap the battery myself. If I could entrust a technician with that and was sure it would work, I might give it a try.

I've had bad experience with such "rescue efforts", though. I tried rescuing an ancient 10-inch Kindle a few years ago, I paid €60 (!) to an authorized technician to have the battery replaced, and the 10-inch Kindle came back to life, worked for a bit (months, not even a year, I think), but then it died again, this time for good, I'm afraid.

Hope you have a better experience with the battery you swapped in your Kobo Mini.

Last edited by Faterson; 09-05-2022 at 01:50 AM.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 12:04 PM   #14
Spinningwoman
Connoisseur
Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-t1
I have two Kobo Minis - I bought the second as a backup in case the first one gave up on me, as I did have one die a few years back. You can update them with the latest Kobo Glo update which works fine. (Excuse me if someone said this further up the thread; I skimmed through the replies but didn’t see it). I then added Nickelmenu to allow me to unlock Dropbox (which is there in the config but turned off). With that added it is a fabulous little pocket/handbag device for coffee shop reading!
Spinningwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 12:58 PM   #15
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Question

Aaargh, I wish I had your patience (and knowledge), @Spinningwoman, to add Dropbox to my Kobo Mini as well! It really sucks that whenever I need to send a book to my Kobo Mini, the only way to do it (if it's not purchased via Kobo Store) is via a darn mini-USB cable! Hard to get hold of one these days... Practically all of my devices have switched to USB-C by now.

Update on my charging attempts: After years of doing nothing, Kobo Mini successfully charged back up to 100% for me, and it works normally even when disconnected from the charger, but after only "playing around" with it for about half an hour, battery level dropped from 100% to 87%, so I guess it's hopeless.

(If I could simply give €20 or even €30 to a technician: "Please, fix this Kobo Mini for me, and put Dropbox on it!", I would do so instantly. But after I recently lost €60 in this way, trying to resurrect the ancient 10-inch Kindle, I gotta be careful. I guess I finally need to accept that this Kobo Mini is dead for me, and need to embrace the replacement that's on its way to me: the newly released Onyx Boox Poke 4 Lite. Later on, I might perhaps also invest in the newly released Xiaomi Moaan InkPalm Mini Plus 5.84 3rd Gen, because I suppose it's the closest one can get to Kobo Mini's size these days, although the Xiaomi device has an aspect ratio of 1:2, whereas Kobo Mini was 1:1.)
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote