Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-26-2012, 12:57 PM   #16
Keroberos
Zealot
Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini (4GB), Nook Classic wi-fi, iPod Touch (Bluefire Reader)
Quote:
1) I tried it on ipad but it is taking local font instead of my embedded font.
I'm Assuming iBooks? That needs some extra work to get embedded fonts to show.

Quote:
2) And on android phone if font is present in the phone then only it 'll show properly otherwise not.
What reader software? Does it support embedded fonts?

Quote:
2) and the last doubt is, Total weight of epub file with embedded font is less than the total weight of the provided fonts. is it possible?
Yes it is possible. An epub is just a renamed zip file, so the font files are compressed.
Keroberos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:53 AM   #17
sachin
Enthusiast
sachin began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Mobi does not support embedded fonts.
Thanks for the reply and what you would like to say about my another problem of weight of the ebook of epub format. Hope you understood my question.
sachin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2012, 01:05 AM   #18
sachin
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroberos View Post
I'm Assuming iBooks? That needs some extra work to get embedded fonts to show.

What reader software? Does it support embedded fonts?

Yes it is possible. An epub is just a renamed zip file, so the font files are compressed.
1) Ofcourse i tried with ibooks and I'll continue with extra work.
2)ALDOKO reader i used on samsung galaxy phone.
3)I heard ttf fonts we provide for embedding are not possible to compress.
I'll be back soon. thanks for the reply.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:27 AM   #19
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Mobi does not support embedded fonts.
Wolfie:

Ah, yes, my sweet, but K8 does. Works a pip, too.

@sachin, w/regard to iBooks, embedding fonts is a PITA, but it can be done, we do it all the time. But it's not as simple as, for example, a straight-up embed for Nook. What have you tried, please, precisely?

HTH,
Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:23 AM   #20
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
I just had one niggling problem with an embedded font, showed fine in Sigil, calibre, ADE etc. but didn't show on reader.

The problem was an incorrect font-face and stylesheet error, I had an Italicised font, but in font-face definition had 'font-style: normal;' yet in style-definition had 'font-style: italic;'.

This as I said showed up properly in the desktop software, but not on the readers.

When I realised the error and adjusted the font-face definition to 'font-style: italic;' to match the style (and what type the embedding font actually was) then it also showed up in the reader as well.
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2012, 04:39 AM   #21
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Perkin:

If he's not using the Apple XML file, in his META-INF, it probably won't work. He has to have the display options set, the platform identified (or default to all), and has to have "specified fonts" set to true, or the book will default to the standard iBooks fonts.

HTH,
Hitch
Old 03-28-2012, 01:10 AM   #22
sachin
Enthusiast

Keroberos: I'm done with that extra work.
But still there is a problem in rendering And I guess that is because of problem in UNICODE support in iPad for embedded font. Lemme work on it later.
Anyhow, any suggestions to work on android phones?
Old 03-28-2012, 02:57 AM   #23
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

@sachin: Do you have the updated ePUB? Because the sample you uploaded doesn't have the XML file that Apple requires. If you've done that, and you're still having a problem, why don't you upload the revised ePUB so we can all take a look, okay?

Hitch
Old 03-28-2012, 02:58 AM   #24
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
The same principle should work also on android devices. However, it will depend on the application of course how it will be handled.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:03 AM   #25
sachin
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
@sachin: Do you have the updated ePUB? Because the sample you uploaded doesn't have the XML file that Apple requires. If you've done that, and you're still having a problem, why don't you upload the revised ePUB so we can all take a look, okay?

Hitch
I just added the following attachment to the epub to make it work on iPad Hitch.
Attached Files
File Type: xml com.apple.ibooks.display-options.xml (152 Bytes, 366 views)
Old 03-28-2012, 03:06 AM   #26
sachin
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
The same principle should work also on android devices. However, it will depend on the application of course how it will be handled.
@Toxaris: It is not working on android phone, It is by showing the local(default) font instead of the embedded one.
And ALDIKO reader i use to read epub.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:46 AM   #27
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachin View Post
I just added the following attachment to the epub to make it work on iPad Hitch.
Yes, but did it? My impression is that it did not.

This is a very minor thing, but every engine is slightly different; I noted that in your CSS sheets, in the font-face declarations, in the src url, you did not have the entire url between single quotes, e.g.:

Code:
@font-face { font-family: IMFePIit28P; src: url('../Fonts/IMFePIit28P.ttf'); }
What you have is:

Code:
src: url(../Fonts/Malige-n.ttf);
}
...and the same for Kedage. You might want to try putting the single-quote marks around the font urls as shown in my example. It seems to work on my iPad when it's entered correctly in the CSS. (And, of course, using the xml file). Naturally, I can't read this, so...at least some of it renders correctly; it looks like it's only taking one of the two fonts, but--hopefully, this will get you on your way.

HTH,
Hitch
Old 03-28-2012, 03:59 AM   #28
sachin
Enthusiast

Ok I'll try for that and what you would like to say about android? Thanks a lot
Old 03-28-2012, 02:03 PM   #29
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Sachin, I have nothing to say about Android. At my shop, we build books around ADE, Nook, iBooks (in ePUB) and Amazon (mobi). I gave up trying to get every book to work on every rinky-dink reader or reading software out there; it's literally impossible. Try the fix first and see if that solves some portion of your problems.

HTH,
Hitch
Old 03-29-2012, 03:07 AM   #30
sachin
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Yes, but did it? My impression is that it did not.

This is a very minor thing, but every engine is slightly different; I noted that in your CSS sheets, in the font-face declarations, in the src url, you did not have the entire url between single quotes, e.g.:

Code:
@font-face { font-family: IMFePIit28P; src: url('../Fonts/IMFePIit28P.ttf'); }
What you have is:

Code:
src: url(../Fonts/Malige-n.ttf);
}
...and the same for Kedage. You might want to try putting the single-quote marks around the font urls as shown in my example. It seems to work on my iPad when it's entered correctly in the CSS. (And, of course, using the xml file). Naturally, I can't read this, so...at least some of it renders correctly; it looks like it's only taking one of the two fonts, but--hopefully, this will get you on your way.

HTH,
Hitch
Hitch, I tried with single quotes and it makes no difference if we put or don't put at url. and the problem is fixed with iPad by providing particualr fonts for mac. Thanks for the support.

And my next target is android devices. Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.