problem with updater

debug log as follows:

calibre Debug log
calibre 0.8.6
Windows-XP-5.1.2600-SP3
Windows
('Windows', 'XP', '5.1.2600')
Python 2.7.1
Windows: ('XP', '5.1.2600', 'SP3', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Failed to initialize plugin: u'C:\\Documents and Settings\\"user name"\\Application Data\\calibre\\plugins\\Goodreads Metadata.zip'
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\ui.py", line 516, in initialize_plugins
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\ui.py", line 54, in load_plugin
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\zipplugin.py", line 169, in load
File "importlib\__init__.py", line 37, in import_module
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\zipplugin.py", line 150, in load_module
File "calibre_plugins.dummy1.__init__", line 15, in <module>
ImportError: No module named fetch
Failed to initialize plugin: u'C:\\Documents and Settings\\"user name"\\Application Data\\calibre\\plugins\\Goodreads Covers.zip'
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\ui.py", line 516, in initialize_plugins
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\ui.py", line 54, in load_plugin
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\zipplugin.py", line 167, in load
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\zipplugin.py", line 150, in load_module
File "calibre_plugins.dummy1.__init__", line 16, in <module>
ImportError: No module named covers
Starting up...
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\update.py", line 44, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\update.py", line 28, in get_newest_version
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.4-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_mechanize.py", line 203, in open
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.4-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_mechanize.py", line 230, in _mech_open
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.4-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_opener.py", line 193, in open
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.4-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_urllib2_fork.py", line 344, in _open
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.4-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_urllib2_fork.py", line 332, in _call_chain
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.4-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_urllib2_fork.py", line 1142, in http_open
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.4-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_urllib2_fork.py", line 1118, in do_open
URLError: <urlopen error [Errno 10106] getaddrinfo failed>
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\dialogs\plugin_updater.py", line 62, in read_available_plugins
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.4-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_mechanize.py", line 199, in open_novisit
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.4-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_mechanize.py", line 230, in _mech_open
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.4-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_opener.py", line 193, in open
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.4-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_urllib2_fork.py", line 344, in _open
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.4-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_urllib2_fork.py", line 332, in _call_chain
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.4-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_urllib2_fork.py", line 1142, in http_open
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.4-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_urllib2_fork.py", line 1118, in do_open
Started up in 17.1410000324
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\dialogs\plugin_updater.py", line 62, in read_available_plugins
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.4-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_mechanize.py", line 199, in open_novisit
URLError: <urlopen error [Errno 11001] getaddrinfo failed>

I can open the thread it's looking for:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...67&postcount=1
manually in my web brower.. not sure what the problem is
also the "plugin forum thread" link is http://www.foo.com/ which maybe a place holder or an error .. I've re-installed 3 times ( deleted all folders as well ) tried 8.4, 8.5, 8.6 versions.... the separate plugin nor the builtin seem to work..

Thanks in advance
fubarsnafu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:35 PM   #2
fubarsnafu
fubarsnafu is on a distinguished road

Device: none
I'm also now getting these errors with metadata... I've tried it with books I know I've peviously downloaded the metadata for: (the one shown in the error I actually downloaded the metadata last week)

Code:
  calibre, version 0.8.6
ERROR: No matches found: <p>Failed to find any books that match your search. Try making the search <b>less specific</b>. For example, use only the author's last name and a single distinctive word from the title.<p>To see the full log, click Show Details.

Starting download 
Query: title:Castle for Rent; authors:John DeChancie; amazon:0759232040, isbn:9780759232044 
Running identify query with parameters: 
{u'authors': [u'John DeChancie'], u'identifiers': {u'amazon': u'0759232040', u'isbn': u'9780759232044'}, u'timeout': 30, u'title': u'Castle for Rent'} 
Using plugins: Barnes & Noble, Google, Amazon.com, ISBNDB 
The log from individual plugins is below 

****************************** ISBNDB ****************************** 
Request extra headers: [('User-agent', 'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:2.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0.1')] 
Found 0 results 
Downloading from ISBNDB took 0.108999967575 
Failed to make query to ISBNDb, aborting.
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\isbndb.py", line 109, in identify
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\isbndb.py", line 212, in make_query

******************************************************************************** 

****************************** Amazon.com ****************************** 
Request extra headers: [('User-agent', 'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.2.11) Gecko/20101012 Firefox/3.6.11')] 
Found 0 results 
Downloading from Amazon.com took 0.171999931335 
Failed to make identify query: u'http://www.amazon.com/s/?sort=relevanceexprank&search-alias=aps&field-keywords=0759232040&unfiltered=1'
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\amazon.py", line 523, in identify

******************************************************************************** 

****************************** Barnes & Noble ****************************** 
Request extra headers: [('User-agent', 'Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; rv:2.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0.1')] 
Found 0 results 
Downloading from Barnes & Noble took 0.0629999637604 
Querying: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...=9780759232044
Failed to make identify query: u'http://search.barnesandnoble.com/books/product.aspx?EAN=9780759232044'
  File "calibre_plugins.barnes_noble.__init__", line 136, in identify

****************************** Google ****************************** 
Request extra headers: [('User-agent', 'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.2; rv:2.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0.1')] 
Found 0 results 
Downloading from Google took 0.0780000686646 
Failed to make identify query: u'http://books.google.com/books/feeds/volumes?q=isbn%3A9780759232044&max-results=20&min-viewability=none&start-index=1'
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\google.py", line 296, in identify

The identify phase took 0.25 seconds 
The longest time (0.172000) was taken by: Amazon.com 
Merging results from different sources and finding earliest publication dates 
We have 0 merged results, merging took: 0.00 seconds
I have cleaned the system registry of all references to the program; deleted all files and folders that remained after un-installing... I have run the program with and without any firewall or Av running...

any suggestions on what I'm probably over looking; will be appreciated
Advert
Old 06-20-2011, 05:37 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You've got some internet access problems. The most likely cause is an invalid procy defined in internet explorer.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:29 PM   #4
fubarsnafu

Thank you for the quick response Kovid. I checked for proxies in IE and Maxathon I don't have any set, I also checked my network connections and nothing funky there... it's probably something on my end ..

If it helps to give another place I might check... the help button correctly opens my brower to the online Calibre manual...

Also news and getbooks fail to retrieve data ... I'm rescanning with my malware/av as well as a couple online ones as well just in case it's something like that but after 2 run throughs have yet to find anything... if I happen to stumble upon what's causing it I'll post what stupid thing I overlooked... but I'm baffled as to what it could be...
Old 06-20-2011, 09:31 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Check Firewall. Whitelist Calibre.exe
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2011, 09:41 PM   #6
fubarsnafu

Thanks for the suggestion, That was one of the things I checked when it first happened I have calibre set to trusted in ZoneAlarm.. and I do not use windows firewall. ( I also ran calibre without any firewal or malware/av programs running ... (tried in both normal and windows safe mode ) also I un-install IE completely as well as maxathon, tried running it without either program on the machine, then again after reinstalling...

I can say I'm freeing up disk space and generally cleaning up my pc.. so I got that going for me
Old 06-20-2011, 09:45 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Run this to confirm:

calibre-debug -c "from calibre import get_proxies; print get_proxies()"
Old 06-20-2011, 10:02 PM   #8
fubarsnafu

WARNING: help() not available - check site.py

System command list not initialized, probably the first run...
running %rehashx to refresh the command list. Run %rehashx
again to refresh command list (after installing new software etc.)

[C:Program Files/Calibre2]|1> calibre-debug -c "from calibre import get_proxies;
print get_proxies()"
{}
[C:Program Files/Calibre2]|2>
Old 06-20-2011, 10:35 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

It isn't a proxy then. The error message says getaddrinfo failed with error code 10106 which I have never seen before, but a spot of googling indicates that it can happen if some dlls fail to load/initialize, usually because of an incorrect system root environment variable. Beyond that, I'm afraid I can't help you.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:06 PM   #10
fubarsnafu

Thanks for your quick response one again.... I had assumed ( dumb I know) that the error codes were your internal ones, to point you in the right direction to debug Calibre You were correct.. as no other program was having any problems connecting I did not think it would be an operating system error...

It was a winsock error apparently.. I reset netsh (tcp stack and cleaned the registry values) and Calibre is running perfectly now...

sorry to have put you through any inconvenience...
Old 06-20-2011, 11:51 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Glad you got it sorted