Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-04-2011, 04:08 PM   #1
dgraygrayco
dgraygrayco began at the beginning.

Device: none
Cover thumbnail won't show in Kobo app after Sigil

Kobo app for iPad and iPhone doesn't show cover thumbnail for ePubs that have been processed with Sigil.

If I export from InDesign and side-load directly into Kobo, cover thumbnail displays OK.

If I just open in Sigil and Save As, then side-load, Kobo app displays generic cover thumbnail.
dgraygrayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:39 PM   #2
LGN
Connoisseur
LGN is on a distinguished road

Device: ProMedia eReader, Sony PRS-600
make sure the Add semantics > Cover is set on the image as well as on the xhtml that's embedding the image just to be sure.

And some readers show the thumb after the book has been opened one time (BeBook for example).
LGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2011, 09:25 AM   #3
dgraygrayco
dgraygrayco began at the beginning.

Yes, semantics are set properly for cover, both image and xhtml doc.

The epub displays cover OK in Kobo app *before* it is opened in Sigil. But after simply opening in Sigil then saving with Save As (no other changes), the cover will not display. Sigil is doing something behind the scenes during a Save As.
dgraygrayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:53 AM   #4
cuthbert19
Enthusiast
cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Cybook Opus
Try exploding the EPUBs (rename it to ".zip" and extract the contents) and compare them ... maybe the kobo wants the cover image to be in a certain internal folder (or in the main internal folder) and with a fixed name ("cover.jpg", maybe?).
cuthbert19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:20 PM   #5
mtrahan
Colonel Mustard
mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPhone 6, Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPad 2
I am curious about this aswell. I have problems displaying the covers in Kobo app and can't find any solution. Not sure it's a Sigil-related problem though (I do use Sigil to work on those ePub), but both cover.jpg and the first xhtml displaying the image are declared OK in the OPF file...

Any idea what could cause this problem?
mtrahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2011, 06:03 PM   #6
mtrahan
Colonel Mustard
mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPhone 6, Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPad 2
Well, I just found out the answer to my problem: for the Kobo app to detect a cover image, it has to be named exactly "cover.jpg"...
mtrahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:34 PM   #7
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrahan View Post
Well, I just found out the answer to my problem: for the Kobo app to detect a cover image, it has to be named exactly "cover.jpg"...
I use Calibre to create my covers for me and they name them cover.jpeg. To be on the safe side I guess I'll just rename them.

Regards - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:28 PM   #8
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

I don't know how relevant this is, but there is an old thread here that discusses a quirk in the NOOK reader, not Kobo, whereby the cover isn't properly recognized unless the attributes of the "cover" meta tag appear in a certain order.

I mention it because one of the things Sigil might do (even if all you do is open the epub and do a save-as) is re-arrange the order of attributes in the meta tags. Whereas I think it less likely that Sigil would rename the cover image file.

Another thing Sigil will do with a content.opf that comes from an InDesign export is clean up the formatting by adding newlines and tabs (i.e. "pretty-print") to make it more readable.
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote