Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 08-29-2013, 10:04 AM   #31
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Yes, I have with a 8GB. 4.1 at the time WAS very battery hungry as it was unofficial builds.

But it's hit and miss.
Thanks for this.... I guess I'll get an OTG cable and give it a try. I have a medley of USB sticks in a drawer that I can walk through. I'll report back when I have some personal experience.

FYI- I have a gen 1 fire and I did the N2Aos conversion last night (after tech help hours of course! ). It did NOT work using my XP sp3 computer...no way, no how. After 3 hours of stubborness, I switched to a Vista laptop (which I hate!) and the conversion worked without a hitch and was done in about 15 minutes. Sooooo, if you're doing this on XP and have any problems call tech support immediately or use a different computer.

Also, the thing that held me back the most was my concern that it would convert my gen 1 fire into a MTP device and I would no longer be able to sideload books from Calibre on my XP computer. It does and it did, however the N2Aos has a setting to allow gen 1 fires to continue being seen as a mass storage device which should allow me to continue sideloading...It is not the default setting and I haven't tried Calibre since changing it, but I suspect I will be fine.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:08 PM   #32
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, after much playing/working with this I have decided to revert back to the original Amazon software. I think N2Aos is an intriguing bit of conversion, but is just too buggy at this point. When it works it definitely speeds things up and Google Play store is nice. Just too many random crashes and restarts. Also, you definitely lose Calibre support via USB on XP with a gen 1 Fire.
All in all I'll probably give it another try after their next update later this year since the reversion to the original Amazon firmware works well, but at this point I think this is a work in progress.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:53 PM   #33
45MPHK9
45MPHK9 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Does anyone know how the Kindle Owner's Lending Library (Prime) works under N2Aos? Thanks in advance!
45MPHK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:24 AM   #34
cicsos2
Enthusiast
cicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to behold

Device: kindle Kbd, Fire(N2A), & 8.9
The Kindle Owners Lending Library only works with "real" Kindle devices. Once you install N2Aos, you have turned your device into an Android 4.2.2 system. In order to access your applications and books, for example, you have to install the related applications such as the Amazon AppStore and Amazon for Android Kindle reader.

Thus, you are now using a "free Kindle reader app" that is not eligible for use with KOLL.

If you take a look at the FAQs on the N2Aos.com site, you will find that this is stated along with other restrictions/differences.

It is up to you to decide if one free book a month is better than a rejuvenated Kindle.
cicsos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:23 AM   #35
45MPHK9
45MPHK9 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks cicsos2. Much appreciated!
45MPHK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:55 AM   #36
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I took the plunge and am waiting on it to finish my Fire HD 7 now.

Done. Question for anyone who has done this. My side loaded data was NOT wiped. I thought this would wipe everything. Did I do something wrong?

Finally got Mantano Essentials to work. I had to go into the device via USB and delete lots of stuff that should have been wiped.

ETA well it did open a couple books. Now it won't.

Last edited by booklover6; 09-26-2013 at 01:03 PM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:01 PM   #37
goggin
Enthusiast
goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: kindle
Interesting. The N2Aos home page crashes the Silk browser on the KFHD 8.9.

Also,that home page is way overloaded for mobile device oriented web site. Very poor site design.

I'd like to learn about N2Aos, but it's not accessible from a KFHD.
goggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:08 PM   #38
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
Well, after much playing/working with this I have decided to revert back to the original Amazon software. I think N2Aos is an intriguing bit of conversion, but is just too buggy at this point. When it works it definitely speeds things up and Google Play store is nice. Just too many random crashes and restarts. Also, you definitely lose Calibre support via USB on XP with a gen 1 Fire.
All in all I'll probably give it another try after their next update later this year since the reversion to the original Amazon firmware works well, but at this point I think this is a work in progress.
That's why I think that N2Aos goes one step too far. I have found that with any device based on a version of Android, the overall, best, and most bug-free version is the version of Android that ships with the device. It has been tested and optimized for the hardware.

With regard to Kindle Fire (HD and non-HD models) I have found the best solution is to root it and use an alternative launcher. (and install Google Play) I still have access to the Amazon services and I'm only a few screen taps away from switching between the Amazon Kindle Fire experience and Android tablet-like experience.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:28 PM   #39
cicsos2
Enthusiast
cicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by goggin View Post
Interesting. The N2Aos home page crashes the Silk browser on the KFHD 8.9.

Also,that home page is way overloaded for mobile device oriented web site. Very poor site design.

I'd like to learn about N2Aos, but it's not accessible from a KFHD.
A N2Aos developer told me that their home page was done using HTML 5.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:32 PM   #40
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KFire HD, KFire, KTD 3g, KT, K4B, K4S, K3g, K3g SO, K2, K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
Well, after much playing/working with this I have decided to revert back to the original Amazon software. ...
So Sharks? How'd that work out for ya? Any problems? Did it take you back to the version you'd had installed or something else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
With regard to Kindle Fire (HD and non-HD models) I have found the best solution is to root it and use an alternative launcher. (and install Google Play) I still have access to the Amazon services and I'm only a few screen taps away from switching between the Amazon Kindle Fire experience and Android tablet-like experience.
Mr. JeepMan, I'd seen your posts extolling the virtues of ADW Launcher several other places on the forum, but I was unable to find out where you can get it. I think one of the places I found it was on google play, but I don't have any devices there... and at adwthings, they don't have any download links and all their tutorials are on using the program, not installing it.
(sigh)

Never mind. I found this post and was able to install it. Now I just need to figure out how to use it. How long could THAT take?

Is there an easy way to keep the Kindle from going back to the carousel when you hit home? I guess I'd want it to reload ADW instead, since the way this is setup ADW is just an app.

Thanks guys!
SampleAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:12 PM   #41
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SampleAndy View Post
So Sharks? How'd that work out for ya? Any problems? Did it take you back to the version you'd had installed or something else?
Right back to where it began IIRC. It did seem to leave some things behind, but they disappeared when I did a reset to factory. Everything back to normal with no bad after effects...easy to do. Easy enough that, as I said, I may try again when the next update comes out. Aside from the buggy-ness, the real drag for me was losing Calibre usb ability on my XP computer.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:09 PM   #42
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SampleAndy View Post

Mr. JeepMan, I'd seen your posts extolling the virtues of ADW Launcher several other places on the forum, but I was unable to find out where you can get it. I think one of the places I found it was on google play, but I don't have any devices there... and at adwthings, they don't have any download links and all their tutorials are on using the program, not installing it.
(sigh)

Never mind. I found this post and was able to install it. Now I just need to figure out how to use it. How long could THAT take?

Is there an easy way to keep the Kindle from going back to the carousel when you hit home? I guess I'd want it to reload ADW instead, since the way this is setup ADW is just an app.

Thanks guys!
The only way to keep the Kindle from going back to the carousel is by rooting.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:52 AM   #43
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm very happy with my n2a HD7. I only wish I knew it would be a good idea to factory reset before installing. There were lots of extra files left behind that I had to clean up.

They really need a step by step instruction on their web site.

No more carousel for me, no more black background! It's a really nice tablet, now.

I don't send books to my tablets with Calibre, so that is not something I am missing.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:46 PM   #44
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Kitkat is now available from n2aos for the Fire. There is a lot of griping that they are charging for it, but I did it anyway. It seems to operate a little faster.

It seems a lot faster, and the wifi is holding steady. I've always had a problem with wifi dropping on that tablet, even when it was running stock. Seems to be fixed with kitkat!

Anyone else going to do it?

I am so pleased, that I put it on my son's Kindle Fire HD, too.

Last edited by booklover6; 04-24-2014 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:01 AM   #45
cicsos2
Enthusiast

I upgraded my Gen 1 7" KF yesterday and had no problems doing the upgrade.

No regrets or doubts ... I certainly have gotten more than my money's worth.