Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-02-2012, 09:38 AM   #16
mobilewilier
Connoisseur
mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakaTensai View Post
Hi guys and gals! First post here... wanted some advice on whether or not to attempt exchanging my paperwhite. There are several threads here (I've read many of them) discussing the blotches and uneven lighting on the paperwhite. Mine seems to be suffering with some of these problems... I'll add some images here. I guess what I'm asking is if my device is basically on par with what is out there, i.e. if I return it can I expect something better? I hate having to deal with things like this, but honestly having a big yellow blotch on the left of my otherwise bluish white screen is very distracting. Maybe I would get used to it with time, but if there is a chance at a better device I'll take it. Thanks everyone.
The images below: two are medium brightness in a dark room, one is max brightness in the same room, and other one with text is high brightness in a brighter room. The issues are most evident in the dark room.
My bad PW looked just like your one. It was so bad that I could only use a certain futura font with wide line spacing. Your seems like it's at the worst end of the spectrum and a replacement would likely be better.
mobilewilier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:33 AM   #17
tmf2
Zealot
tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 Kindle PW
Quote:
OK, just took some glasses cleaner and a microfiber cloth to the screen. I was momentarily excited, as it looked like it worked! But as I looked at the screen longer I realized that that while it might have removed some obvious fingerprints, the large yellow splotch was still there, as well as most of the unevenness
Wait my suprised look.................
tmf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:59 PM   #18
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmf2 View Post
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:57 AM   #19
BakaTensai
BakaTensai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BakaTensai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BakaTensai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BakaTensai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BakaTensai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BakaTensai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BakaTensai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BakaTensai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BakaTensai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BakaTensai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BakaTensai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmf2 View Post
Ha, yeah I know it was a long shot but I had to try it. Ugh... I'm still not sure what I'm going to do here yet! I feel like I should at least contact customer service, but I don't know if I want to risk an exchange. How often to exchanges result in a better device? I've been reading on it lately and I seem to be bothered less and less by the yellowish areas (Game of Thrones is a pretty good distraction ) but I definitely notice it. This kindle was actually a gift, so I don't even know how the exchange would even work... is it the same as if I would have purchased it myself?
BakaTensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:21 AM   #20
mobilewilier
Connoisseur
mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here is a picture of my defective PW, which had a big green patch and pink patches on the edges.

It was exchanged successfully for a better PW.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:43 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just shows how much these things are in the eye of the beholder; that screen looks absolutely fine to me.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:55 AM   #22
mobilewilier
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Just shows how much these things are in the eye of the beholder; that screen looks absolutely fine to me.
hehe... Harry, can't you see a MAJOR difference between the green color around "I explained to him" and e.g. the top line, which looks very pink in color?

It would probably be easier to see the problem if i could get a comparison picture of a better screen.

Also, the font settings are already using widest line spacing, with futura font (which tends to be thinner and have less dark) in order to reduce the darkness of the green patch.

This picture was taken in a relatively light area, and the colouration becomes more pronounced as the room gets darker.

Last edited by mobilewilier; 12-04-2012 at 01:58 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:02 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilewilier View Post
hehe... Harry, can't you see a MAJOR difference between the green color around "I explained to him" and e.g. the top line, which looks very pink in color?
No, I can't. But like approximately 15% of men, I have a certain degree of colour blindness.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:04 AM   #24
mobilewilier
Connoisseur

This is the better PW, which (although not under exactly similar lighting conditions) was noticeably more uniform in color, according to me and 5 other people doing a side by side comparison.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:16 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

As long as you're happy with it, that's what's important. I'm happy with my PW; I dont care what anyone else thinks about my screen.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:35 AM   #26
mobilewilier
Connoisseur

definitely correct. i do hope that Amazon improve the QC of the screen, as the device itself and its corresponding eco-system is really spot on. I would really like to get the kindle PW for other friends but the QC makes me hesitant.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:56 PM   #27
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, I can't. But like approximately 15% of men, I have a certain degree of colour blindness.
Wow - that one just about jumped off the screen and hit me it was so bad. The human eye is an amazing thing. If they have someone checking screens for people before sending replacements that would explain why some ugly ones still get sent if they happened to pick the wrong person to check .
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:16 PM   #28
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Ha, yeah I know it was a long shot but I had to try it. Ugh... I'm still not sure what I'm going to do here yet! I feel like I should at least contact customer service, but I don't know if I want to risk an exchange. How often to exchanges result in a better device? I've been reading on it lately and I seem to be bothered less and less by the yellowish areas (Game of Thrones is a pretty good distraction ) but I definitely notice it. This kindle was actually a gift, so I don't even know how the exchange would even work... is it the same as if I would have purchased it myself?
It's defintely worth the try. There is a huge difference between the first and last devices I received, but there is no guarantee they will be any better. One of my replacements did not even power on.

Last edited by xendula; 12-04-2012 at 09:14 PM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:11 PM   #29
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I don't think we as forum readers can really make any but the most coarse judgements or comparisons on the basis of uploaded pictures. There are too many variables at work, starting with the nature of the ambient light where the photo is taken, the PW light level, the camera's sensitivity/color accuracy, automatic or manual adjustments made in camera or by photo editor software, jpeg compression artifacts, display calibration, ambient light interacting with the display, and finally the reader's color perception or lack thereof. For example where some report a 'big green patch' in the photo above, I'm seeing 'neutral grey' area with a pink halo. Maybe on some other display, with different ambient light, it would look green. Someone sitting next to me could have a different perception entirely. (I had to stop myself loading it into Photoshop to measure the RGB value, there lies madness.)

For some reason, the PW display seems to trigger all sorts of subtle color perception for me. The more conventional computer displays I work with every day are all over the place in terms of being properly calibrated and vary greatly in pixel density, quality, vibrance, brightness, contrast, color gamut etc. Yet this doesn't bother me in the least as I move from one to the other. My first PW drove me a little nuts, though. It would look fantastic in one situation and horribly flawed in another. My replacement is more consistently good, but by no means above my threshold of 'perfection'.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:30 PM   #30
mobilewilier
Connoisseur

Tomsem, I am in the same boat as you. My current one is not perfect, but the coloration is slight and i can easily tolerate it. However, the first one (in reality, not in pictures) did look very green + pink.

Based on my own computer monitor (which I know differs from other people's displays), the 2 pics look representative of what i see in real life. I purposefully put two pictures up so people can at least compare on the same monitor.