Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 12-29-2022, 02:36 PM   #1
AndrewH234567
AndrewH234567 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Post New file type on kindle?!!?!

This is basically an unusual problem and I don't think there's anything we can do about it BUT I will tell you the problem.

I have a backup on all of the books I downloaded to my kindle, copied the books and put them in my folder. Today I opened the backup folder and instead of the cover picture and book files of each books, I just found a .APNX and .MBP1 and .MBS file. I checked the original kindle and it is the same thing so when I copied it it was probably already like that. ALL FILES ARE READABLE ON MY KINDLE. So what is the problem? I want a backup, and to be able to read it on my computer. Usually, I can go to /Calibre library and copy them back. Here's the catch: They're not they're since when I downloaded the books, my computer broke and when dell fixed it, they cleared my drive (with permission).

I searched it up and apparently APNX is an indexing file and the others I couldn't find anything. So can I convert? Calibre and other converters doesn't support it. I don't know what it is, but it has to do with a kindle update. Please come back to me if this is unfixable, and I just have to deal with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle error.png
Views:	98
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	198669  
AndrewH234567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 02:50 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Read https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=272175

These files are nothing to do with an eBook format.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 02:58 PM   #3
AndrewH234567

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Read https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=272175

These files are nothing to do with an eBook format.
Then how can my kindle read them?
Old 12-29-2022, 03:03 PM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Download only from Amazon My Content and Devices for USB transfer.
You can't easily convert files download direct to a Kindle.
You need deDrm from noDRm plugin and copy/past your Kindle serial number from the web page.
Add the books downloaded to PC/Mac/Linux/Android via Browser.
Then convert.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 03:09 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH234567 View Post
Support files. Read the thread I linked.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 04:23 PM   #6
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH234567 View Post
It can't. Calibre and Kindles organize books very differently.

Calibre uses a single folder per book that contains the book itself, a cover image, and metadata.

However on a Kindle there is a main file for each book and an associated folder that has the same name but with ".sdr" added which holds additional metadata related to the book, such as any annotations you have made, the last page read, and where the page numbers are in the book. The image you posted is the contents of one of these .sdr folders. The actual book is outside of that folder.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 05:39 PM   #7
AndrewH234567

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
It can't. Calibre and Kindles organize books very differently.

Calibre uses a single folder per book that contains the book itself, a cover image, and metadata.

However on a Kindle there is a main file for each book and an associated folder that has the same name but with ".sdr" added which holds additional metadata related to the book, such as any annotations you have made, the last page read, and where the page numbers are in the book. The image you posted is the contents of one of these .sdr folders. The actual book is outside of that folder.
But when you open the kindle folder, you get the screenshots, and a documents folder. In the documents folder, there's the author's names and the books inside that folder. But when I open a book, that's what I see. Besides, earlier, the cover, metadata and document were in there like calibre uploaded, but now, that's what appears. THAT's my problem
Old 12-29-2022, 05:42 PM   #8
AndrewH234567

@jhowell, when I open the kindle on my computer, I see the screenshots, and a document folder. In the document folder, there is a folder for each author and in those folders are the books, calibre uploaded that for me. But in each book folder, there are only those files. Besides, before, there were the cover, metadata and document. Now there are just those three random amazon index files. THAT is my problem
Old 12-29-2022, 05:47 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Moderator Notice
@AndrewH234567

FYI: your post at #7 went into the mystery moderation queue.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 06:15 PM   #10
AndrewH234567

Solved

EVERONE
Apparently all of the documents got moved out of the book folders and they're a mess at the bottom of the author folder, I didn't see it since there are so many books. Sorry for bothering you all!

Tags
file type, kindle, problem