Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-04-2020, 04:39 AM   #1
Jigen90
Jigen90 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, PW4
5.11.2 Jailbroken, should I update?

Hi all,

sorry if this question is already covered, but really it's still unclear to me whether it is safe or not tp update to a more recent fw version.

I've a PW4 jailbroken, JB hotfix applied and then updated to 5.11.2 manually.
I've not installed MRPI and KUAL yet (since they get reset at every update and the guide suggest to complete these operations after the fw update).

From the page Open Sesame it is strongly advised to not use any 5.12.x firmware.

However in this sub-forum, I'm reading reports of people successfully running 5.12.x firmwares and being able to restore the jailbreak somehow (something related to ;log command and mentions to a specific newer hotfix).
  1. Is it then safe to update to the 5.12.x series manually?
  2. If yes, what's the right procedure to do so? When the only K5 JailBreak HotFix is applied?
  3. What are the new required steps to upgrade to a 5.12.x version?
Jigen90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 10:01 PM   #2
cheenius
cheenius began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I have the same question. Or asked another way what is the highest firmware I should update to?
cheenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2020, 10:37 PM   #3
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Yes, you can upgrade to any version if you want.
Be sure to install the latest hotfix prior to update
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=746
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 07:33 AM   #4
Jigen90
Jigen90 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
Yes, you can upgrade to any version if you want.
Be sure to install the latest hotfix prior to update
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=746
Thanks!

I was able to keep the JB of my Kindle updated to 5.12.4!

Just for reference, I report here the steps:
  1. Install the most recent hotfix from here
  2. Reboot the device
  3. Copy the new firmware (downloaded from amazon), install it via "Update your Kindle", reboot etc.
  4. Execute the recovery steps from this page (do all the required reboots)
  5. Install MRPI again (maybe it's not strictly necessary, but why not), by copying it
  6. Install Kual (Coplate) (Update_KUALBooklet_*_install.bin), by putting it inside the mrpackages folder and using again the ";log mrpi" command

I did not use the Update_KUALBooklet_hotfix_*_install.bin install package, which is supposed to be installed via UYK, since when I unplugged my Kindle, the UI showed a dialog about an invalid update package and it also removed the bin file!

Last edited by Jigen90; 03-06-2020 at 07:35 AM.
Jigen90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 08:36 AM   #5
cheenius
cheenius began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Just to verify I went to 5.12.4 and everything is working. I did have to use the script to re activate the ;log command though. As above.
cheenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2020, 09:17 AM   #6
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

We really hope that some day NiLuJe will implement reactivation into the hotfix.
Old 03-06-2020, 12:14 PM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Spoiler alert: I won't, there's already a comment explaining why quoted in the post (TL;DR: too fragile/gnarly, especially when there's already someone taking care of it) ;p.

On the subject of 5.12.4, now that the VoiceView packages have finally been updated, the fact that the (updated) hotfix packages get squished would seem to hint that Amazon "fixed" that behavior (for OTA packages).

I still haven't seen an actual log of the failure, so it may be trivial to workaround (or not).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 03-06-2020 at 12:19 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 12:33 PM   #8
hius07
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
I still haven't seen an actual log of the failure, so it may be trivial to workaround (or not).
At what moment do you need a log?
I assume: update to 5.12.4, install hotfix, copy Update_KUALBooklet_hotfix_*_install.bin to the usb-root, unplug, get alert message - and now ;dm?
Old 03-06-2020, 12:44 PM   #9
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yep, I meant a log of the hotfix deletion on 5.12.4 .
Old 03-07-2020, 12:49 AM   #10
hius07
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Yep, I meant a log of the hotfix deletion on 5.12.4 .
Here it is (7z archive, renamed).
Attached Files
File Type: zip Downloads.zip (353.2 KB, 126 views)
Old 03-07-2020, 08:56 AM   #11
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Chatty device.
Amazon must be using their AI to read the volume of those log messages.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 01:03 PM   #12
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@hius07: That's... interesting.

I can see the coplate KUAL hotfix installing successfully, but not the main one... because I forgot to package it for newer devices .

That should still leave you with a working KUAL, though, since one of 'em wen through just fine.

EDIT: Oh, now I remember: that was on purpose. I omitted the devices for which the main Booklet variant had no chance of working to begin with.

Which might not have been a great idea and/or I missed a few devices where it could work?

EDIT²: Yeah, given that the non-hotfix variant gets packaged for everything, it's at best confusing...

Last edited by NiLuJe; 03-07-2020 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-07-2020, 01:23 PM   #13
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@hius07: And what about the *JB* hotfix? Given the minimal differences with how the coplate Booklet is packaged, I'd expect that one to work, too...
Old 03-07-2020, 02:02 PM   #14
hius07
Wizard

Yes, the user has a device on 5.12.4 with working KUAL.
I asked him to put Update_KUALBooklet_hotfix_*_install.bin (from your latest package for 5.12.4) to the root ang get the logs.
Old 03-07-2020, 02:18 PM   #15
hius07
Wizard

Also I asked another user with KV 5.12.4 with working KUAL to do the same.
He reported that there were no alert messages and seemed that the package could be installed.