Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-17-2010, 07:26 AM   #31
iphitus
iphitus has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iphitus has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iphitus has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iphitus has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K2i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Yes, you get spoiled so quickly You suddenly realise how uncomfortable it can be to sit with a p-book. And there's no inbuilt dictionary or pageturn buttons either...
Like how Kindle remembers your page. Paper books don't do that. I read my first pbook for a while the other day lost my page every single time I put it down.

Could get that book in ebook, but McGraw Hill expect an unreasonable price. I got the pbook for half of what they want for the ebook.

Last edited by iphitus; 08-17-2010 at 07:42 AM.
iphitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:40 AM   #32
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
My wife can still float back and forth between the reader and the paper.
Myself, I'll wait till I can get it in digital.

Just don't care for paper at all anymore.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2010, 09:31 AM   #33
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyZ View Post
Maybe I'm just arrogant, but a book on the shelf that I read is like a little trophy. Whenever I look at it on the shelf, I have a bit of pride and some fond memories of the book. That just doesn't happen with an electronic book.
Calibre does this rather nicely. Create a "read" tag and browse the covers of all your read books. Goodreads.com isn't too shabby either.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:19 AM   #34
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
Yesterday I bought a paperback for my son-in-law. Opening it I found that even with my relatively strong reading glasses I would have a choir reading the print in that book. I opened up my copy of Michener’s The Source, a book I had read years ago with no trouble. Oh-my-gosh, same ultra-small print! Then I tried Churchill’s The Gathering Storm. I was thinking of reading this again. No way! Print’s too tiny. These are books I bought, read, enjoyed and kept on my shelf for many years. Now I wonder why?

Visiting this site for a few years I have read folks posting how they like paper books because they want to always have them available. Really folks, “always” is a long time and your eyes, like almost everybody else, will suffer.

I have giving away or chucking many of my old books. Keep those "E" editions. You will be able to read them years from now when the print on your paper library has shrunk.

Reading the advertisements for eReaders I seldom, if ever, see them boast of the readability for us older folks. But this, to me, is the primary advantage of eBooks. I just ordered the Kindle DXG.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:31 PM   #35
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Man View Post
Yesterday I bought a paperback for my son-in-law. Opening it I found that even with my relatively strong reading glasses I would have a choir reading the print in that book. I opened up my copy of Michener’s The Source, a book I had read years ago with no trouble. Oh-my-gosh, same ultra-small print! Then I tried Churchill’s The Gathering Storm. I was thinking of reading this again. No way! Print’s too tiny. These are books I bought, read, enjoyed and kept on my shelf for many years. Now I wonder why?
Same here. I think it's a question of discovering that there is a better way. You don't know what you're missing.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2010, 02:38 PM   #36
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
The first thing I do when I get a paper-book is to put it through the scanner
I only buy paperback books if I fail to find them as e-books.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:15 PM   #37
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpadx View Post
The first thing I do when I get a paper-book is to put it through the scanner
I only buy paperback books if I fail to find them as e-books.
I'm about ready to do the same thing. The only hold up is my guillotine just broke and I'm still waiting to hear back from the vendor.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:17 PM   #38
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Reading the advertisements for eReaders I seldom, if ever, see them boast of the readability for us older folks. But this, to me, is the primary advantage of eBooks. I just ordered the Kindle DXG.
maybe it is just because of that.

You act reasonable - but be honest:
have you never met people, who regardless how weak they eyes became as time passed by, repeated "I-still-can-drive-a-car" and "I-don't-need-no-bloody-glasses!" until something, at least unpleasant and/or expensive happened?

How would they react on such advertising?
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:41 PM   #39
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
Freeshadow, probably something in that.

But with old age and driving it's not just eyesight, it's reaction, movement and a lot of other "slowdowns." And, as posted above, I do need those bloody glasses.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:22 PM   #40
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Quote:
Exactly so old timer, and exactly why I bought Jetbooks for my Father and Father in law. Both of who love to read but were reduced to what their smaller library's had in large print. Both of them have become dedicated ebook readers.

Dad's 85 and Father in law is 78, neither have enough prior computer experience to count, but both hit the ground running and not looking back.

From what I hear dad even takes his fishing!
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:35 PM   #41
meromana
Zealot
meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: my laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
maybe it is just because of that.

You act reasonable - but be honest:
have you never met people, who regardless how weak they eyes became as time passed by, repeated "I-still-can-drive-a-car" and "I-don't-need-no-bloody-glasses!" until something, at least unpleasant and/or expensive happened?

How would they react on such advertising?
I don't know...

Of course, many of us who are losing our close-up vision are a little sensitive about it, but I have readily admitted in many public places that the best thing about an e-reader is that I can make the font as big and bold as I like. It's just so much easier to read that way, rather than squinting at some tiny type on newsprint.

I don't really think it would hurt manufacturers to advertise "easier reading" as a feature.

--Maria
meromana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:41 AM   #42
Bekster
Bekster began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I'm fairly new to Ereader - got my nook in April. It's funny as I read through some of the posts about page turning and how it takes soooo loooong. Turning a page in a pbook takes way longer.
I find myself looking at pbooks often, but not buying and before my nook I'd have a tough time limiting myself to one Guess I didn't really think about it until this post, but I guess I don't like paper anymore either .
Bekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:08 AM   #43
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
fortunately one of the things I haven't hada problem with as I get older is my eyesight. however I have been accused of having bat like vision and tend to read in VERY dim light. I have found that this is aided by being able to increase my font size. I'm reading in lower and lower light.
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:29 AM   #44
Mitchi
C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER
Mitchi will become famous soon enoughMitchi will become famous soon enoughMitchi will become famous soon enoughMitchi will become famous soon enoughMitchi will become famous soon enoughMitchi will become famous soon enough

Device: Jetbook Lite, Droid Eris
Don't forget those of us with back problems. I can usually only carry a limited number of things in my bag, since I can only carry a small bag without hurting my spine, and I read fantasy novels. My jbl is smaller than most of the books I would read. Pretty much a no brainer which one i'll pick, though I have no problem reading from paper.

Sadly, while I generally prefer my ereader, I too read stuff that's harder to find in ebook format (I'm looking at you, Brave Story).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
I've got no problem with reference/coffee-table books like RPG manuals, that are chart-and-picture heavy, but for just reading?
Well with RPG sourcebooks, there's just something different about the physical books being there. For one, there's the whole flipping through the pages to find just the section you're looking for -- something I can never do properly with a PDF ("crap WHERE ARE MY FEATS I CAN'T FIND THE PAGE" /ragequits and opens the book).

Also, there's just something about the huge nerd cred to it. Everyone I know has the sourcebooks for D&D/WoD/Shadowrun/etc on PDF but the ones with the books on their shelves? You know who the hardcore ones are. Especially with rare RPG books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Wait until you decide to clean off your bookshelves. It's so liberating! Last year I gave our library everything except my art and travel books. It was scary, but felt great to cut the ties to paper.
I keep getting tempted to donate all my paperbacks to the local library, though it's more of because I've been moving a lot than because I've been e-reading all the time.

Probably the only books of mine I'll never get rid of are my massive collection of RPG sourcebooks and manga. I've even run out of shelf space for them after turning them on their sides. I still tend to read digital copies though, I hate getting my finger grease all over the pages
Mitchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:35 AM   #45
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchi View Post

Probably the only books of mine I'll never get rid of are my massive collection of RPG sourcebooks and manga. I've even run out of shelf space for them after turning them on their sides. I still tend to read digital copies though, I hate getting my finger grease all over the pages
Spoken like a true collector
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote