Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-27-2010, 04:41 AM   #1
the_callant
Connoisseur
the_callant has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle Oasis/Kindle Scribe/Kindle PW Signature
Sony Customer Service or Not

This may turn in to a bit of a rant - so apologies in advance. I have been having problems with my Sony PRS600, the on/off switch is erratic, not a big deal, but the battery life is pathetic at less than 200 page turns. I posted about this earlier on these forums, and received support and advice. After considering what was happening I was not confident the problem was just the battery. So in the end I contacted Sony.
This was not a happy event. I was left almost speechless when I was told I needed to provide proof of purchase, or it would not be considered a warranty repair. I can accept that if there was a question over whether or not it was still within the warrant period, but that is not a consideration here. It seems as if Sony are using any and all means to wriggle out of their obligations to supply a product which is reliable. A number of people have approached me when I have been seen using my reader, and I have recommended the Sony to them. I know several colleagues have purchased Sony Readers on the strength of that. This experience will certainly make me think again about the advice I offer in the future.
the_callant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:02 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_callant View Post
I was left almost speechless when I was told I needed to provide proof of purchase, or it would not be considered a warranty repair. I can accept that if there was a question over whether or not it was still within the warrant period, but that is not a consideration here.
What is the warranty period in England? I believe it is 1 year on parts and 90 days on labor here in the States. If that is the case then the 90 days could be in dispute. Here is Sony's warranty for North America, Limited warranty for Digital Book Reader (PDF).

you might want to check here for more info on your options.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2010, 06:30 AM   #3
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Yes, Sony UK always demand proof of purchase.
(So does Waterstone's and other retailers, if you bought the reader there. This is because they send all faulty units to sony for repair.)

However, if you've lost the receipt, I found that Sony will accept bank/credit card statements. (I sent them a photocopy but blacked out any sensitive information.)
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote