Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 04-14-2008, 02:29 PM   #1
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Question Managing a E-Book Library

Hello Everyone

I Have a question for people having more then one dedicated E-book reading device, more specificly more then E-ink Device.

I Have a library of a couple of thousand e-books, Ranging from Classics, SF, Techinical manuals, etc in a variety of formats (PDF, Html, rtf, lit, prc, txt).

When I got My Sony PRS-500 I started to realise that I'll like to standardise my library as much as possible.

Now, I've gone and ordered a CyBook (Couldn't Resist) and wanted some advise on which would be the best format to standardise on.

I'll like to use a format that will work on both devices without having to convert.

I'll also like to ask how you people deal with the varing formats required for different devices.

Thanks and appriciate any advice you all can give me.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 03:04 PM   #2
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
I use Nokia Tablets (770 & N800) and I'm awaiting a Sony PRS-505. I've standardized on Mobi format, but I'm still looking at conversion for the Sony (mobi2lrf myfile.mobi). If Sony comes through with .epub support that might be the way to go.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2008, 07:28 PM   #3
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

First all let me congratulate you with your second choice (I bet the Sony is an outstanding reader too!), I myself have a Cybook and I know you are going to be very pleased with it.

About your question: the formats both your readers will read are TXT… and PDF.
As you know PDF is mostly difficult with these small screens and (we all are waiting if Bookeen will upgrade the PDF reader to reflow text PDF’s, but until then…) normal PDF files who are mostly formatted for A4/letter size are almost of no use for us.

So for now, txt is the common ground.

Having had a bit of experience with this I advise you to let it be for now, and convert just the files you will really need/want to read now in your readers, who knows what will come in one year from now?
Also take care… the important is the content. The form in what you read is a “passing technology”… maybe in 1 year or 2 we will have 10/12” eink screens (colour per example…) letting us read PDF/PRC/Sony format and the most html, txt, doc, rtf formats - then you would have been wasting your time converting.

Remember reading a eBook is not like listening a song, it takes much more time (and for me much is much more fun!!!) and thus lets us see all this craziness formats in a intelligent way.

Bets regards and hope you get our Cybook fast.

Last edited by DDHarriman; 04-15-2008 at 06:47 PM.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:11 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
bbusybookworm .. the best format to standardize on would be HTML. Then you can use html2lit and Mobipocket Creator to create LRF and Mobipocket eBooks fairly easily.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 09:59 PM   #5
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
bbusybookworm .. the best format to standardize on would be HTML. Then you can use html2lit and Mobipocket Creator to create LRF and Mobipocket eBooks fairly easily.

I Did think about that, but the one thing I would really miss with that would be Cover art, etc.
Is there a way to embed the images inside the Html document itself, and not have it link to an external image as it usually does. If so it may be a viable option for me.
Advert
Old 04-14-2008, 10:07 PM   #6
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDHarriman View Post
Hi

So for now, txt is the common ground.

Having had a bit of experience with this I advise you to let it be for now, and convert just the files you will really need/want to read now in your readers, who knows what will come in one year from now?
Also take care… the important is the content. The form in what you reed is a “passing technology”… maybe in 1 year or 2 we will have 10/12” eink screens (colour per example…) letting us read PDF/PRC/Sony format and the most html, txt, doc, rtf formats - then you would have been wasting your time converting.

I understand. I was just hoping that you all with quiet abit more experience might have a solution that I had overlooked or missed.

I am a bit leery of using pdf as the experience on the Sony has been....uncomfortable.

Another reason I was intrested is because, I just gave the Sony to my mother and will be loading & managing it for her.
As while she does use a computer, using the Sony Connect software is not somthing I would inflict on her. I was just hoping that if I could standerdise on a single format, I could just give her a bunch of preloaded SD cards and change them when ever i get the chance.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:45 PM   #7
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
I Did think about that, but the one thing I would really miss with that would be Cover art, etc.
Is there a way to embed the images inside the Html document itself, and not have it link to an external image as it usually does. If so it may be a viable option for me.
Images must of course be linked to an HTML document, that's the nature of the format.

But using Mobipocket creator allows embedding the cover art in the generated .prc file.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 03:58 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Just keep the HTML and any associated graphics together in a ZIP file in order to keep them together for long term storage.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 04:35 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Just keep the HTML and any associated graphics together in a ZIP file in order to keep them together for long term storage.
which is exactly what ePUB does along with a little information on how the pieces go together and a way to read the zipped contents without having to build a version.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 06:52 PM   #10
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
I understand your problem, but I do think that for now there is no easy solution ahead.
The best I think of what can be done today is what I advise above.

In the future, who knows? Sony can upgrade their firmware with ePUB as they have promised that some time ago... or Cybook could do it too, as they have mentioned it several times... or... hell with this "so much" formats around... is very dificult to see what the future will bring.

Best,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 08:42 PM   #11
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie

Thanks Everyone.
@JSwolf,
I Do like Html, The Problem, I've had in the past is that I some times end up not keeping the html and the linked Image files together, or in the correct folder, So can be a bit of a pain.
And while Keeping them together in a Zip is a good idea, If I want to read the file, I Usually end up having to Unzip it, as some of the readers I like to use dont support reading from inside archives. So an Additional step. (As you can guess I can be quiet Lazy at times).

So till a standard emerges, Have slowly started reorganising My Library using the following System

Genre - Author - Type (General / Sony /Cybook) - Series (If Applicable)- Book

With My Original files in the general folder, and the converted files under their own Specific folders. A Bit Covulted, but it means that I can usually find any book I want Within a few Minutes.
Now I just need to get into the habit of Converting any new books I get Into all the different formats i need When I get them.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:40 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
One has to distinguish between long-term storage formats, and "terminal" (ie reading) formats. Personally I've standardised on MobiPocket as my reading format, but I use HTML or RTF as a long-term storage format. I don't know what I'll be reading my eBooks on in 10 years time, but I'm confident that whatever format it uses I'll be able to convert these storage formats to it.

I have a folder for each author, within that a folder for each book, and within that all the files associated with the book, both reading formats and storage formats.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote