Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-27-2012, 10:18 AM   #106
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
For me, it was several things. First, it was not having to have physical books to store or get rid of. Second, the ability to have a new book in a couple of minutes. Third, the ability to carry hundreds of books with me. Fourth, the ability to take notes

Since I got my first Kindle in January 2010 my rate of reading has increased dramatically. I sincerely hope that e-ink readers do not give way to LCD tablets.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:19 AM   #107
cmargm
Enthusiast
cmargm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
In a few words: for travel, a new gadget, and availability of new books. However, there is one drawback. When I have read a great book and want to discuss it with a friend and they haven't read it - I can't loan them the book.
cmargm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2012, 12:17 PM   #108
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
The key for me was the realization that I could find books I wanted to read to put on an EBR. Mainly these books were at Project Gutenberg, and a lot of them were not easy to find in print. So when I had a chance to buy a Sony 505 at a reduced price, I took it. Basically, it turned the PG files into books.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:25 PM   #109
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
Mainly these books were at Project Gutenberg, and a lot of them were not easy to find in print.
Indeed. I was impressed to find FAERIE QUEEN at Black Mask for free when the print book ran $50. Easy to justify a reader gadget that way.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:53 PM   #110
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Actually, I haven't been moved to buy a dedicated ebook reader yet, though ebooks have figured prominently in my last couple gadget purchases (netbook, then tablet, and even smartphone to a lesser degree). If I had fewer expenses just now, I might pull the trigger on the new Kindle just because of the screen (both the light and overall quality), though I'd rather wait on something EPUB-friendly with the same display (and mSD support, or at least more space).
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2012, 01:27 PM   #111
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
In my, severely limited, experience, medical literature is filled with illustrations and photos. How does that work when you're reading it on an eBook? I find the screen to small for viewing things like that and I can't enlarge it the way I would need.
The only reason I bought an iPad was for digital textbooks, particularly, medical textbooks. Personally, I think it's better. Digital search features are better. If I type in a word, it will give me all of the references in the chapter I'm studying, in the book and/or if I'm still looking for more info, it will redirect me to the web without losing my place in the book.

Here's the short answer:

More info from Inkling: http://www.youtube.com/user/inklingHQ?feature=watch

And the longer answer: http://vimeo.com/39490799
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:03 PM   #112
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
If I had fewer expenses just now, I might pull the trigger on the new Kindle just because of the screen (both the light and overall quality), though I'd rather wait on something EPUB-friendly with the same display (and mSD support, or at least more space).
Agreed. I love my Sony Reader, but if Kindle supported EPUB, I'd already own one. If Amazon SOLD EPUB, I'd buy books for my Sony through them.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:32 PM   #113
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Like fjtorres, I got a PDA (Pocket PC to be precise) in 2001 or 2002 and started reading on it right away. It was very hard to find good new ebooks legally, so I read what I could get however I could get it, in MS reader format, or I converted books myself with the free Word plugin. Black Mask was such a great site back in those days, the owner uploaded a few new free books every day, and Gutenberg was a godsent.
Mobileread had maybe 100 users when I first signed up if I remember correctly... I kept telling everyone about ebooks and got nothing but weird looks - those were the days!

Last edited by xendula; 09-27-2012 at 09:40 PM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:04 PM   #114
Ghiizhar
Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quite simple reason for me - I love to read, but due to degrading eyesight, it was just too hard to read paperbacks. The adjustable font size has enabled me to once again read to my heart's content!
Ghiizhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:22 PM   #115
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
I got a PDA.
Nice and compact and I could take it everywhere.
It let me read anywhere anytime.
And there was this website called BLACK MASK loaded with nicely formatted classics...
I too began my ereading on a PDA..then I got a Sony, and after that a Kindle.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:27 PM   #116
Moriarty's
confictura animus
Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppowell002 View Post
Now that's an interesting aversion!
Aww, surely it's not that strange!
Moriarty's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:06 AM   #117
joietcw
joietcw began at the beginning.

Device: IPAD 2, NSTG, ViiO, Kindle PW
I am not a avid reader like my kids. But I do use my IPAD for reading magazines and newspapers. Very convenient. No more dirty hands from my newspapers. Fonts can be adjusted so no need to use my reading glasses.
joietcw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:11 AM   #118
GeneS
eBook Enthusiast
GeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-350, Astak PocketPro, iPhone, Asus eee Pad Transformer
Like some others here, I first started mobile-reading after purchasing my first PDA (a Palm Pilot). Reading was incidental to the other uses, but I was soon trapped by the convenience of being able to read whenever the time permitted. The convenience and the novelty of it even allowed me to finish "Les Miserables" after having tried over the years but giving up. I was hooked.
GeneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:54 AM   #119
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Portability. The ability to carry the book I'm currently reading, plus the next 2-3 books on my TBR, in one small package. Saves a lot of space travelling. I fit everything I travel with into one backpack.

Price. Ebook prices are/were cheaper than paperbacks. The ereader would pay for itself in the long run. Recently though, Agency prices have cut into much of the savings.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:49 PM   #120
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by voracious71 View Post
I too began my ereading on a PDA..then I got a Sony, and after that a Kindle.
I bought my first ebook from PeanutPress to read on my Palm Vx then Palm IIIc. I then moved to a Pocket PC a Casio EM-500, then Sony Clie.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote