Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 01-23-2012, 11:22 AM   #16
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!
Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Touch
Edit: I removed my original post with mention of another 7 inch tab, for as later thinking about it, this is a forum for and about the Vox, and not other ereaders/tablets. I feel it should remain so. The Vox is a good product, will get better tuned with each firmware update, and this forum is where it is discussed.

Last edited by Reader Paradice; 01-23-2012 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Change of mind regarding the thread.
Reader Paradice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:39 AM   #17
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!
Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Touch
(I will be giving my Vox to the local library. Well, once the next software update is available to clean up the sleep on death problem.)[/QUOTE]
----------------------------------------------------

I sure wouldn't! I'd want the Vox as a back-up tab for if the new toy you buy fails for any reason...and we all know, technology can and will...fail at some point.

R.P.
Reader Paradice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2012, 03:09 PM   #18
evrdazed
evrdazed began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
replaced my Kobo Vox with the BB Playbook and have not regretted my decision. I have a Kobo Touch for my dedicated reading needs. The Playbook is just so much more responsive and browsing on it is such a treat. My dream tablet would have been the Kobo Vox ecosystem but with the power and build quality of the Playbook.
evrdazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:03 PM   #19
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Well, if you don't already have an eReader and would like one, and perhaps it should have a lot of tablet capabilities as well (although reading books is your primary focus) then the Vox ix what you need. If you're primarily a tablet person and reading eBooks is secondary or not even important, there are many tablets out there for you that will outperform the Vox.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:22 AM   #20
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
Downloaded Overdrive for my Playbook today!
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2012, 11:02 AM   #21
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
Downloaded Overdrive for my Playbook today!
So is it in the blackberry app store then or what? (need to know what to tell library patrons here) Thanks.

[edit]: Oh, and presumably you need the latest os update that lets you use android apps right? Is that released yet or still beta?
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:17 AM   #22
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
So is it in the blackberry app store then or what? (need to know what to tell library patrons here) Thanks.

[edit]: Oh, and presumably you need the latest os update that lets you use android apps right? Is that released yet or still beta?
Yes it is officially in the BlackBerry PlayBook appstore now (free) but yes you need OS 2 to get it as it is a repackaged Android app. Beta works now and the official release is in the second half of February from rumors. Audiobooks and Adobe DRM epubs both work great.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:25 AM   #23
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Thanks for the info.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:01 PM   #24
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reader Paradice View Post
(I will be giving my Vox to the local library. Well, once the next software update is available to clean up the sleep on death problem.)
----------------------------------------------------
I sure wouldn't! I'd want the Vox as a back-up tab for if the new toy you buy fails for any reason...and we all know, technology can and will...fail at some point.[/QUOTE]
Good point. I've kept my Kobo WiFi for that exact reason.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:31 PM   #25
hpulley
Addict

My kids love to read on the Vox which means I can use my Playbook, win win!
Old 02-10-2012, 11:18 PM   #26
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A recent article somewhere stated you should ensure that your new tablet has the Android version 4 OS aka Ice Cream Sandwich. And to wait until the new Apple device comes out whereupon other vendors should be dropping their prices.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:55 AM   #27
Kboland
Zealot
Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, iPod Touch, Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyToews View Post
A recent article somewhere stated you should ensure that your new tablet has the Android version 4 OS aka Ice Cream Sandwich. And to wait until the new Apple device comes out whereupon other vendors should be dropping their prices.
True, but if we all followed that stream of thinking when it comes to buying consumer products, we'd never buy anything except magazines about future products.
Kboland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:06 PM   #28
markT4
Enthusiast
markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyToews View Post
I don't believe it's "necessary" to get a tablet with ICS as Gingerbread and Honey comb are very intuitive and stable even more than IOS. In general, they're more than capable of offering a great user experience if you are on a tight budget.

http://technorati.com/technology/art...s-appsand-the/

Mobile devices are pretty much ending up like the laptop market where products drop in price in less than 3 months of release as something greater is released. But I would recommend waiting a couple of months as that when the next batch of Android devices will be coming out with the longer battery life and quad-core possessors. Naturally, if you're not interested in a quad-core device they'll be cheaper dual-core budget and legacy devices. Minimally I would wait for Mobile World Congress and the end of February were a lot of new Android devices (including tablets) will be announced.
markT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:20 PM   #29
TonyToews
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by markT4 View Post
Minimally I would wait for Mobile World Congress and the end of February were a lot of new Android devices (including tablets) will be announced.
Thanks for your comments. I'm in no hurry so I'm happy to wait for a while yet.

Besides one of my criteria is, I hope, that you can recharge the device from a laptop USB port. I don't care if it takes all night to recharge. That's fine by me. One less thing to carry and forget.

I almost left my Kobo Vox charger in a motel room last weekend. Grrrrr
Old 02-11-2012, 02:20 PM   #30
BWinmill
Nameless Being

The best thing to do is look at your requirements and make your purchasing decision based upon that. As Kboland mentioned, there is always something new just over the horizon so waiting for the next best thing is a hopeless cause.

On ICS, I get the impression that most Android devices are based upon Gingerbread. This means that app developers are going to target Gingerbread for some time to come. So you will can still move forward with current devices. I also doubt that the iOS ecosystem is going to have much of an impact on the cost of Android devices at this point. Performance and features, sure. But Apple's prices are in a league of their own, which means that a lot of consumers will barely give Apple tablets a cursory glance before choosing the competition.