Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 01-21-2012, 06:14 PM   #1
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Alternative 7" tablets to the Vox

I really, really like the 7" form factor of the Vox. I find I do a lot of browsing on it but I do most of my reading, other than in low light situations, on the Touch.

What I'm finding is that the sluggish browsing is starting to greatly irritate me. I hit the back button to close a page. It waits a bit and I hit the back button again. Then I discover I've gone back or closed two pages. I am using the Dolphin browser for most things although, now that I think about it.

Or there's a delay in opening a new page. The Dolphin browser seems faster.

Futureshop does have a decent selection if you don't use the 7" selection on the left hand side but I didn't realize that when I typed this up. When I hit Bestbuy.ca (I sure wished they allowed you to select by screen size.) it appears the Acer Iconia tablet is the best in the price range $280 as it has dual processors.
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/.../10169201.aspx and the other features such as Bluetooth which I'd really like.

The cheaper alternatives either had one CPU or 800x600 video. Acer is a
very good brand name.

Comments? What would be on your feature list?

Of course I'd be downloading the Kobo eReader app as I'm quite happy with it.

(I will be giving my Vox to the local library. Well, once the next software update is available to clean up the sleep on death problem.)

Last edited by TonyToews; 01-21-2012 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Update Futureshop sentence.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:57 PM   #2
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
You'd be better off waiting...there are better featured/priced 7" tablets coming out this year.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2012, 09:20 PM   #3
spikexp
Connoisseur
spikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Vox
Wait for the asus 7 inch tablet.
DON'T take the acer without trying it, the screen is simply horrible (extremely low quality). I couldn't use a device like the acer 7 inch... And It's to say my criteria for screen is really low...

I haven seen the lenovo ideapad a1 yet, but it's another choice.

Oh, also, use opera for browser.
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:11 PM   #4
wilbrich
Connoisseur
wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo (original), Sony Tablet, Sony PRS505
Well, I had the chance to play with a Blackberry Playbook and I was really impressed. Very smooth, fast browsing. With the Feb update, I think this will be an awesome 7" tablet. If you're in Canada, particularly T.O., you can pick up a 64gb for $299. To me, that's unbeatable.
wilbrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:51 PM   #5
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbrich View Post
Well, I had the chance to play with a Blackberry Playbook and I was really impressed. Very smooth, fast browsing. With the Feb update, I think this will be an awesome 7" tablet. If you're in Canada, particularly T.O., you can pick up a 64gb for $299. To me, that's unbeatable.
If you offered me a 64 gb playbook for my vox, I would keep my vox. Just sayin'...
Advert
Old 01-22-2012, 01:16 AM   #6
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbrich View Post
The Playbook and Vox were $200 right after Christmas, but I went for the Vox anyway. The thing is, Android and iOS receive all of the love from developers.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:20 AM   #7
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikexp View Post
Wait for the asus 7 inch tablet.
DON'T take the acer without trying it, the screen is simply horrible (extremely low quality). I couldn't use a device like the acer 7 inch... And It's to say my criteria for screen is really low...

I haven seen the lenovo ideapad a1 yet, but it's another choice.

Oh, also, use opera for browser.
Opera? Ok, I'll see how I can download that browser then.

I thought the specs of the Acer were the same as the Vox but I'll be sure to check that out.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:24 AM   #8
TonyToews
Evangelist

In my opinion the Playbook is somewhat of a dead end in that, as stated, the developers will be working on Android and others. Much more activity there. It's a matter of principle for me to not purchase a closed product such as an Apple device. I want open products that allow me much more flexibility.

There was one comment elsewhere stating that the iPad 4 will be out in February and to wait for it to see what other products are announced. Possibly such as the Asus mentioned in another posting.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:19 AM   #9
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
When I went looking for a second Vox or something else I went to Futureshop to try out the alternatives. I thought I would buy an Acer Iconia but the screen was a turnoff. The PlayBook was just so fast and the price so good that I got one. At work it pairs with my Bold so well I can go without my workstation. With OS2 on the Playbook you can write Android apps for the PlayBook. I am running the beta and it works. I still love my Vox too but a dual core 1GHz processor is way ahead of the performance of a single older 800MHz processor no matter how you slice it.

I do wish the Kobo app on Playbook and Android was as full featured as the one on the Vox though. Highlighting and sharing are nice features. Plus the Vox only books are cool.

So once February is here the PlayBook will run Android apps too, something to think about.

Last edited by hpulley; 01-22-2012 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Corrected dual CORE processor
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:46 AM   #10
jsokal
jsokal can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsjsokal can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsjsokal can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsjsokal can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsjsokal can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsjsokal can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsjsokal can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsjsokal can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsjsokal can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsjsokal can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsjsokal can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: vox
Playbook is the best built tablet out there. It's screen is amazing, and so is the price today. It will be running android with the next update in February. Even without it, it's a stunner.
jsokal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:07 PM   #11
mr_nobody
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsokal View Post
It will be running android with the next update in February.
People keep saying this but what does it really mean? My understanding is that the app makers will have to repackage their apps and put them in the blackberry app store (or whatever it's called). What percentage of them do you think will be bothered to do this? Please correct me if I'm misunderstanding the logistics of this.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:32 PM   #12
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
People keep saying this but what does it really mean? My understanding is that the app makers will have to repackage their apps and put them in the blackberry app store (or whatever it's called). What percentage of them do you think will be bothered to do this? Please correct me if I'm misunderstanding the logistics of this.
Officially, this is true. You must wait for developers to convert them and submit them to RIM for approval and inclusion in their appstore.

But in truth you can personally convert and load any app you want but of course you aren't supposed to do that, goes against some licences I am sure.

You can also root it and use Android Market to load anything without converting to par files.

Check out crackberry.com and other sites for details.
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:47 PM   #13
TonyToews
Evangelist

Here's a story on Playbook and Android. Basically an Android emulator will be running on the Playbook. http://www.zdnet.com/blog/perlow/bla...progress/19118

"Additionally, RIM has enabled a security mode that disables support for APK application side-loading, obviously so that their own BlackBerry App Store monetization cannot be bypassed by say, Amazon or even Google."

No thanks.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:49 PM   #14
TonyToews
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
I do wish the Kobo app on Playbook and Android was as full featured as the one on the Vox though. Highlighting and sharing are nice features.
I would've thought that the Android Kobo app and the Vox would've been identical. Highlighting and sharing are features I've never used so that's not a big deal to me.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:46 AM   #15
danifunker
Connoisseur
danifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kobo Vox
I recently picked up the Acer Iconia A100, and I have to say that the screen is really reflective and I think it's been causing me some headaches recently! I have ordered some screen protectors, hopefully that will reduce the glare, but anything is possible...

Other than that the tablet is slightly heavier than the kobo, but it is pretty powerful. I have the kobo app loaded on it, and supposedly the A100 should be getting the Ice Cream Sandwich upgrade (Currently it's running Honeycomb 3.2.1) and is a pretty nice overall experience. The battery lasts a lot longer, I haven't experienced a sleep of death yet, although I've only had mine since Thursday.
danifunker is offline   Reply With Quote