Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-27-2011, 10:02 AM   #1
yankgirl
Connoisseur
yankgirl is on a distinguished road

Device: iPhone, iPad 2, PPP(purple pocket pro) Nook Tablet, K4 & Kindle Fire!
USB (flash drive) to iPad

I'm not sure if this has been answered or not, but here goes...

I have a ton of books for iBooks and have most of them backed up on a flash drive. I know there is a thing that connects to the iPad to upload pics through a USB. Does anyone know if that will work with books also? I've been uploading some of my files through dropbox, but sometimes I'm not in a wifi area.

TIA!

Kat
yankgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:15 AM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankgirl View Post

I have a ton of books for iBooks and have most of them backed up on a flash drive. I know there is a thing that connects to the iPad to upload pics through a USB. Does anyone know if that will work with books also? I've been uploading some of my files through dropbox, but sometimes I'm not in a wifi area.

TIA!

Kat
The thing you buy from Apple includes both a USB adapter and an SD card adapter specifically for pics. Whether books will be found on the device depends on the reader I believe. There are apps that can move files.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2011, 12:30 PM   #3
SenseiPhone
iPhone Sensei
SenseiPhone began at the beginning.

Device: none
You can try iFunbox to put your file into iPad, without iTunes
SenseiPhone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:40 AM   #4
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenseiPhone View Post
You can try iFunbox to put your file into iPad, without iTunes
Only if the iPad has been Jail Broke.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:15 AM   #5
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Open iTunes and plug in your iPad to your PC with the lead that came with it. Select the iPad under device in the left hand window. Once selected click on the books tab. Drag the books you want onto the books window and click on sync. I suggest you just try one or two books first to ensure everything is going as planned then when it's OK drop the rest in and have a cup of tea. The books will be available in iBooks. You will need to organize them in iBooks.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2011, 11:36 AM   #6
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankgirl View Post

TIA!

Kat
Kat, You might want to check out the YouTube video here. It states that the camera connection kit will not work for files other than pictures or videos.

However here is an article that says the port can be used for other things. "... Now comes the part we really enjoy about the USB connector, the fact that you can use the USB connector to connect various USB devices you have laying around. Keep in mind that Apple does not support this experiment, although it has been done and well documented on You Tube and various iPad related sites on the web ... "

And you might want to check this out.

And you could always use an AirStash.

Last edited by slayda; 06-30-2011 at 11:53 AM.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:52 PM   #7
JWLaRue
Addict
JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (blue, of course!)
Make it easy on yourself. Install Calibre on your computer (Mac, Linux, or PC) and use it to synch book into iBooks via iTunes.

-Jeff
JWLaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:31 AM   #8
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
With Calibre you don't have to sync via iTunes (though you can). I run the Calibre server, then just access the books via safari. Click on a book and open it up in iBooks.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:09 PM   #9
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
With Calibre you don't have to sync via iTunes (though you can). I run the Calibre server, then just access the books via safari. Click on a book and open it up in iBooks.

Lee
Now that's worth a few karma points
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:20 AM   #10
BrentKnowles
Author
BrentKnowles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrentKnowles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrentKnowles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrentKnowles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrentKnowles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrentKnowles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrentKnowles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrentKnowles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrentKnowles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrentKnowles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrentKnowles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I'll second or third the recommendation for using Calibre.
BrentKnowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:39 PM   #11
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
Now that's worth a few karma points
Thanks for the karma

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:48 PM   #12
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Kat, You might want to check out the YouTube video here. It states that the camera connection kit will not work for files other than pictures or videos.

However here is an article that says the port can be used for other things. "... Now comes the part we really enjoy about the USB connector, the fact that you can use the USB connector to connect various USB devices you have laying around. Keep in mind that Apple does not support this experiment, although it has been done and well documented on You Tube and various iPad related sites on the web ... "

And you might want to check this out.

And you could always use an AirStash.
I sometimes use a keyboard with my camera connection kit. Although it is apparently one of the few that will actually work (at least without a powered hub in-between), especially after Apple reduced the amount of power it could supply via a firmware update.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote