Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which science-fiction book will spark our imaginations in August?
Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke 13 27.08%
A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs 8 16.67%
Lost Horizon by James Hilton 11 22.92%
Surface Detail by Iain M. Banks 15 31.25%
Roadside Picnic by the Strugatskys brothers 15 31.25%
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury 12 25.00%
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card 18 37.50%
Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds 13 27.08%
Solaris by Lem Stanislaw 11 22.92%
Doomsday Book by Connie Willis 19 39.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-24-2013, 11:17 AM   #31
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
They had radios in WW2 and telephones too. You'd think she could have stretched her imagination that far. I read the reviews. I think I'll give it a miss...
This grandmother was born in 1890.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:08 PM   #32
Bookatarian
Zealot
Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Doomsday Book sounds very similar to The Plague Tales by Ann Benson (which I have read and enjoyed very much), though the former involves time travel and the latter is set in a tightly bio-controlled future, but has a parallel story line from the time of the Plague.
Bookatarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:58 PM   #33
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And it's Doomsday Book by Connie Willis by a nose! See you on August the 20th for the discussion. Best get cracking—Doomsday Book is nearly 600 pages!
Old 07-27-2013, 10:39 PM   #34
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
And it's Doomsday Book by Connie Willis by a nose! See you on August the 20th for the discussion. Best get cracking—Doomsday Book is nearly 600 pages!
Enders Game isn't much shorter than that I think is it? I know Lost Horizon is short by comparison.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:26 PM   #35
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Enders Game isn't much shorter than that I think is it? I know Lost Horizon is short by comparison.
Ender's Game is quite a bit shorter.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:02 AM   #36
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
So is that Doomsday Book by Connie Willis by a nose from Ender's Game?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:09 PM   #37
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
So is that Doomsday Book by Connie Willis by a nose from Ender's Game?
Yes.

Or as Tapatalk has it:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1375060168.392834.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	5.5 KB
ID:	108691  
Old 07-28-2013, 11:21 PM   #38
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Just a couple of minutes ago, I started reading my Kindle edition of Doomsday Book. Had to stop long enough to say,

YAY!

It's got X-Ray!

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 07-28-2013 at 11:26 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:42 AM   #39
Ansileran
Zealot
Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kobo Aura HD, Cybook Odyssey HD
I'm glad it's Doomsday book. I'm so fed up with Orson Scott Card not finishing the Tales of Alvin Maker that I don't want to spend another cent on one of his book until he does...
Ansileran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:44 PM   #40
Bookatarian
Zealot
Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Yay! Just scored an ebook copy from the library...that almost never happens.
Bookatarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:52 AM   #41
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
I see the winner book has about 600 pages......

At the end of next week I'll be cycling in East Germany for two weeks. Can anyone, who has read the book, recommend it as a holiday- read for the evenings sitting by the Müritzer See (Lake) with a beer?
Else I have to pick me a thinner book, as I've already The Sleepwalkers, Foucault, Pascal Mercier and such on my ereader.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:59 AM   #42
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I've started it and my own opinion is that it wouldn't be a particularly good choice for light holiday reading.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:35 AM   #43
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I did read it quite some years ago and remember it was terrific, but you can hardly bear to put it down because you want to find out what happens next. Maybe for after the cycle ride is over!

I managed to pick up a copy for $A3 in a closing-down secondhand bookshop so I'm ready to read it when I stagger through the rest of "Buddenbrooks".
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:59 AM   #44
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Thanks both. I'll be adding Snow Flower and the secret fan by Lisa See. Doomsday will have to wait a bit.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:59 AM   #45
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I've started this and have a question. I'm towards the beginning, and they are speaking "middle english?", am I supposed to understand this when someone speaks it? I'm getting a little hung up on it, and I find it a very minor distraction to the story.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote