Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 05-20-2012, 04:55 AM   #541
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
My experiment to reduce Bliss by surging Population has gone horribly wrong, and I am now £1.5M in Energy defecit .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:00 AM   #542
kaleissin
Connoisseur
kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard Wi-Fi, Kobo Glo
Wait for the die-off then it'll even itself out No surging Food in the meantime!
kaleissin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:56 AM   #543
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
My experiment to reduce Bliss by surging Population has gone horribly wrong, and I am now £1.5M in Energy defecit .
I have found it more efficacious, if more difficult, to run Bliss down by going into Food shortages. I keep up with energy (well, or just a little behind) and allow Food to run into debt. It's easier to catch up from double-digit percentage hits.

I ran over a million E into debt; it took a couple of days to recover from, surging about 4 E assets and one Bliss per cycle, for most cycles.

The 10-gift cap-per-cycle is going to make this strategy different; I can no longer count on using 8-12k points of Bliss from my hoard. I start valuing those Alternate Abe Lincoln cards.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:08 AM   #544
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
I ran over a million E into debt; it took a couple of days to recover from, surging about 4 E assets and one Bliss per cycle, for most cycles.
That's exactly the strategy I've adopted - as you say it's going to take a while to recover. And the 10 gift cap is a bit of a nuisance, as I can't make use of all the gifts so kindly donated....
Old 05-20-2012, 10:59 AM   #545
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
I tried political jumps to blisscut. works fine too.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:10 AM   #546
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
I tried political jumps to blisscut. works fine too.
what sort of monetary hit do you take?

I may jump my big freehold to something that gets more gifts (so far, only one megagift and only 1-2 on a cycle).

That, or one that gets a higher bump/asset.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:19 AM   #547
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post

I may jump my big freehold to something that gets more gifts (so far, only one megagift and only 1-2 on a cycle).

I don't know that extra gifts would be worth giving up the 25% bonus to bucks-per-cycle that I currently get for assets.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:24 AM   #548
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
I don't know that extra gifts would be worth giving up the 25% bonus to bucks-per-cycle that I currently get for assets.
I think you can get up to 75% bonus (more than I have, anyway). The ones with more gifts are also getting primarily huge gifts (my second freehold receives two or three per cycle, although I'm not entirely tempted by the 90K population, since it didn't come with any energy).
Old 05-20-2012, 11:26 AM   #549
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:

I'm being dense here - could you expalin what you mean by that?
Old 05-20-2012, 01:31 PM   #550
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Readjusting your politics will cost you the same % of both Bliss and Bucks, and how much depends on how far you move on the board. I think the lowest is 5% when I picked a party randomly (going from originally 0,0). 0,0 to either of the corners manually will cost you 10%, 50,50 to -50,-50 will cost you 20% and is the most efficient way to cut your Bliss down. It'll take about 7-9 cycles of back-and-forth to take you down to a little above Base Level Need with a little extra cushioning, IIRC.

I've been doing it right after levelling and upgrading all my assets to the new level to cut down on the Bucks lost (could also pay for an ally). There's a limit of once per cycle for political realignment.

At 50,50, you only get 1 system/hoard gift per cycle, but your Bucks from Assets is +75%. At -50,-50, you get 6 gifts per cycle, but Bucks from Assets is -75%. A neutral setting of 0,0 gets you 3 gifts per cycle from both system to transfer and for the hoard, but gives you +0% on the Assets, and it's what I had previously (I left it on +50,+50 from last time to build up Bucks overnight for a possible re-ally, or slowly work my way to Level 15, I haven't decided which yet).
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:23 PM   #551
koland
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Readjusting your politics will cost you the same % of both Bliss and Bucks, and how much depends on how far you move on the board. I think the lowest is 5% when I picked a party randomly (going from originally 0,0). 0,0 to either of the corners manually will cost you 10%, 50,50 to -50,-50 will cost you 20% and is the most efficient way to cut your Bliss down. It'll take about 7-9 cycles of back-and-forth to take you down to a little above Base Level Need with a little extra cushioning, IIRC.

I've been doing it right after levelling and upgrading all my assets to the new level to cut down on the Bucks lost (could also pay for an ally). There's a limit of once per cycle for political realignment.

At 50,50, you only get 1 system/hoard gift per cycle, but your Bucks from Assets is +75%. At -50,-50, you get 6 gifts per cycle, but Bucks from Assets is -75%. A neutral setting of 0,0 gets you 3 gifts per cycle from both system to transfer and for the hoard, but gives you +0% on the Assets, and it's what I had previously (I left it on +50,+50 from last time to build up Bucks overnight for a possible re-ally, or slowly work my way to Level 15, I haven't decided which yet).
Thanks. That would have helped a bit in lower levels, but now I find that I can manage bliss by going nuts on surging population (I have one free hold at -1.8M energy right now, so feel free to send any spare it's way).

I'm not up to the 75% level, but only get about one gift/cycle (and practically none of the supergifts) in my main freehold; the second is lower (but not negative) and gets two or three supergifts/cycle (thus the energy hole, as I finally used the 90K population gift - hopefully I have enough bliss supergifts, as well, to hold off money bleeds while I build up energy).

Now to decide - after reaching 20, should I try to build up enough allies to get another book (need to go from 21 to 29) or try for it via leveling up?
Old 05-20-2012, 03:39 PM   #552
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Now to decide - after reaching 20, should I try to build up enough allies to get another book (need to go from 21 to 29) or try for it via leveling up?
Nobody's gotten above level 22 yet; level 25 may be a long-term goal. (Also, Bob has said they intend to flatten the progression at the upper levels somewhat.)
Old 05-20-2012, 03:54 PM   #553
koland
Grand Sorcerer

Sounds like they are going to try to make it a bit easier (I'm nipping at Martin's heels, but can never quite catch up - Kell usually gets there just before me, as well, by a cycle or two).

If I changed my alignment a bit and sold everything except a couple of food and military and 15 reactors (to maximize energy during upleveling) and replaced with ansibles, I could probably chase just a bit faster.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:58 PM   #554
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:

No direct.
I stay on the top (free market) of the political array and only switched from anarchic to gov controlled. And back the next round.
No direct buck penalty. bliss penalty was 20% for every switch. Of course I had a loss in asset-bucks per cycle bonus for that 1 round: it fell back from + 75% to + 25%. So i lost maybe 5ook bucks.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:31 PM   #555
kaleissin
Connoisseur
kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard Wi-Fi, Kobo Glo
Huh. The new scaled gifts are so big there's little use in surging some things anymore.
kaleissin is offline   Reply With Quote