Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-31-2010, 12:48 AM   #1
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
OK - so how do I *de-Russify* a PRS-600?

Don't get me wrong. I love the Russification. However, I got a replacement unit from Sony because of a sun-fading issue and I'd like to reset the original unit back to its factory settings before sending it back.

I've tried a hard reset, as well as the reflash_reader.bat file, but so far, still Russified. Is there a way to un-Russify it?

Thanks for your help!

PS -- I've already Russified the new reader
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:15 AM   #2
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
My best guess is re-install the normal firmware. Here is the link. I don't have experience doing it but hopefully that helps.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2010, 07:54 AM   #3
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
You may take a look here. Although it's about PRS-900 the procedure should be the same for the 600.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 11:58 AM   #4
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
It's easy to do. You need to flash the reader with the stock FW, that's all. Download the stock updater from the Sony support site. Then follow instructions for unbricking the reader. 505 is very similar to 600 in this respect.

Good luck!
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:51 AM   #5
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks! I'm out of town now, so I will try it when I get back. One question though, do I follow those unbricking instructions, or the instructions on the Sony site?

Download and Installation Instructions

1. WARNING!! The Sony Reader must be fully charged before installing this update. Failure to fully charge the Reader before installing the firmware update may cause the Reader to be unresponsive or to require repair.
2. To ensure that no other program interferes with the installation, save all work and close all other programs. The Taskbar should be clear of applications before proceeding.
3. Download the PRS-600 Updater 1.0.01.08040.exe file to a temporary or download directory (please note this directory for reference).
4. Make sure that all memory cards have been removed from the Reader.
5. Connect the Sony Reader to the computer with the supplied USB cable.
6. If the eBook Library software starts, close eBook Library before continuing.
7. . Go to the directory where the file was downloaded and double-click the PRS-600 Updater 1.0.01.08040.exe file to begin the installation.
WARNING!!: Do not disconnect the Sony Reader during the update process.
8. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
Note: The Sony Reader will automatically restart during the update process.
9. After the software update is complete, an "Update Completed" message is displayed.
10. Click the "X" to close the update utility.

After the Sony Reader restarts, and the Reader displays an update complete message, the installation of the Sony Reader (PRS-600) Update is complete.
Advert
Old 08-03-2010, 01:25 PM   #6
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You know what, forget this. Just follow these simple steps:
1. Hook up the reader to USB
2. Open Command Window in the directory where the update package is installed
3. Run:
ebook_msc um recovery
4. The reader should switch into the update mode (Updating Firmware Now...)
5. Run the stock updater, have it update the firmware on your Reader

There is no reason to worry, it's very safe.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:25 AM   #7
whiz16
whiz16 began at the beginning.

Device: sony
jus run the stock firmware again
whiz16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:32 PM   #8
Loose_Appeal
Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiish?
Loose_Appeal doesn't litterLoose_Appeal doesn't litter

Device: Current: PRS-650, Previous: Books
What about derussification for the PRS-300? I clicked around the russian forums thinking it would give me full justification on epub, but it didn't, and now I can't remove it!
Loose_Appeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:04 PM   #9
maxbookworm
Addict

OK -- so I'm home now and I tried.

If I do the command "ebook_msc um recovery" it tells me "Device is not connected to PC" although it is.

If I just try to run the updater, it tells me the firmware is already up to date and doesn't give me the option to run it.

Any other options?

Thanks for the help!
Old 08-11-2010, 09:20 PM   #10
maxbookworm
Addict

Nevermind. Porkupan, you're amazing. Thanks for helping me out with this. It worked like a charm once I remembered *I have to turn off the UAC* (duh).

THANK YOU!
Old 08-12-2010, 09:21 AM   #11
sunus
sunus began at the beginning.

Device: prs-600
Porkupan, I did the steps as you told. Everything looks OK except the dictionary is not usable. Any ideas?
sunus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 03:18 PM   #12
porkupan
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunus View Post
Porkupan, I did the steps as you told. Everything looks OK except the dictionary is not usable. Any ideas?
I guess your original system must have been 1.0.02.13180.

In my unpacked flasher there is test-flash directory. You need to unpack files from this archive into test-flash directory overwriting the two files already there.

Then follow the instructions for flashing (as if to Russify your Reader). You should have your original firmware back after its done.

Good luck to you!
Old 08-14-2010, 01:03 AM   #13
sunus
sunus began at the beginning.

Device: prs-600
Thanks, Porkupan. It works now.
sunus is offline   Reply With Quote