FBreader 10 11.24%
Cool Reader 8 8.99%
Moon+ reader pro 38 42.70%
other 33 37.08%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-20-2014, 04:20 PM   #1
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Sony PRS350, Onyx M92, Onyx T68 (defective!)
Best reading app on Android?

What is the best Android reading app in your opinion?

So far I like FBreader because it clean and open source, but it lacks the statistics function.
FinancialWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:02 PM   #2
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
I really like the Moon+Reader Pro, it even surpases Dedicated readers in features and useability. Imo.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2014, 05:31 PM   #3
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

I used Moon+ reader pro, but I can't even get the reader to flip like a real book, I have to scroll down like I'm reading a webpage.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:34 PM   #4
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Mantano it's only flaw is the fact they try to charge for syncing devices, if they just used dropbox nothing else would get a look in.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:47 PM   #5
FinancialWar
Banned

why do you syncing services with your reading app?
Advert
Old 02-20-2014, 07:05 PM   #6
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinancialWar View Post
why do you syncing services with your reading app?
I've a phone and a tablet, if you have the syncing you can start reading on the tablet at home but when out continue reading on your phone and it remembers where you are, later get home pick up the tablet open the book and it's where you finished earlier.

Mantano does a little more than that though if you pay it syncs the entire book collections so if you add a book to your phone it will be also transferred to your tablet. Personally I'm only interested in bookmarks however.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:12 PM   #7
FinancialWar
Banned

So currently only Mantano and Moon+ have sync function?
Old 02-20-2014, 07:19 PM   #8
Teknikal
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinancialWar View Post
So currently only Mantano and Moon+ have sync function?
Most do actually, the majority of them use dropbox to sync your position I think Mantano is the only one that charges you extra if it didn't do that I'd consider it perfect.

My second favourite is one called Fabrik Pro it's a lot simpler optionwise but does a good job letting you store your books on a dropbox folder and syncing your reading position between devices.

The only other one I use sometimes is Google's own Play books which isn't bad either but means uploading your own files to Google it's also pretty limited in options but it's probably good enough for most people and makes everything pretty easy.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:21 PM   #9
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
I like Cool Reader and it's TTS feature. The ability to wirelessly add books to my Galaxy Note 8 from the Calibre library on my PC is also a plus.
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:40 AM   #10
bbpo8
bbpo8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbpo8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbpo8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbpo8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbpo8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbpo8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbpo8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbpo8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbpo8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbpo8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbpo8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Arc and Aura HD, Kindle Keyboard, and DX
I chose MoonReader, but really I can't see a heckuva lot of difference between the 10 or so reader applications that I use. (MoonReader, Kindle, Readmill, Kobo, Google Play, Acrobat, Pocket, Firefox, FBReader, OfficeSuite).

What gripes me is that most of them want the books in a certain directory of their own, and it is not easy to organize books into categories. I really miss the file management capabilities of the desktop computer.

And they all have different interfaces and conventions - this is like the usability hell of personal computers decades ago.

On the plus side: Acrobat is excellent for PDF files. Kobo Reader has a nice system of Collections. OfficeSuite has the capability of jumping around the file system easily.
bbpo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:53 AM   #11
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I prefer Moon+ Reader Pro. It has the time left in chapter/book feature that I want. I can add my own fonts, my own back grounds. It has TTS and I can add other voices. It has good dictionary support. In conjunction with Calibre Companion to manage my on-device library, Moon+ Pro is the best ereading app I have ever tried.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:34 AM   #12
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I am just using calibre as my ebook library then using calibre to email my ebooks to my kindle app on my tablet. It works great.

I have tried moon + reader pro and I have tried google play book and I just keep coming back to using the kindle app, it more than likely is due to the fact it was the first app that I used and also most of my books are for kindle too.

Last edited by cvkemp; 02-21-2014 at 09:51 AM.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:08 AM   #13
bobstro
Zealot
bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014,Hisense Sero Pro 7,Kobo Aura, Kobo Mini
I loved Moon+ and thought I'd finally converted to it permanently, but it has a hard time formatting a number of technical titles (O'Reilly Press), so I've gone back to Mantano. As noted above, Mantano is excellent for reading, but they do charge for the sync capability. They support dropbox storage, just not sync. Both are nearly perfect, but readability won out. I have to give Mantano an edge.
bobstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:34 PM   #14
hbtaylor
Enthusiast
hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Device: iPad 3, Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobstro View Post
I loved Moon+ and thought I'd finally converted to it permanently, but it has a hard time formatting a number of technical titles (O'Reilly Press), so I've gone back to Mantano. As noted above, Mantano is excellent for reading, but they do charge for the sync capability. They support dropbox storage, just not sync. Both are nearly perfect, but readability won out. I have to give Mantano an edge.
I, too, thought that Moon+ was going to be my everyday app, but I had problems with page turns (especially at chapter boundaries). It just wasn't smooth enough. I have jumped around among Moon+, Mantano, Aldiko, Google Play Books, and the Kindle app, but none of them did it all.

For me, the gold standard is Marvin on the iPad. It is just about perfect for me. I have an iPad 3, so the only "problem" with it is the device size. I don't want to buy or switch to an iPad mini right now, but the pull of Marvin is so strong for me that I've switched back to doing my reading on the big iPad.
hbtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:01 PM   #15
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
For me, I think the overall best reading app is Mantano (the paid version) because it renders most of the CSS more faithfully than the other reading programs. It also has a lot of other options and features so you can tailor the interface to just how you like it.

My only gripe is that it can't display covers with very large pixel dimensions but they say they will try to fix this. It would also be nice if there were a free way to sync reading position like Moon+ has. But those are minor niggles, and overall Mantano is my favorite.

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote