Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-12-2013, 11:32 PM   #121
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Interesting! Just synched to do an update over-the-air from firmware 3.1.0 to 3.1.1 on my Aura HD -- and the update/synch did NOT overwrite the custom dictionaries I'd installed with the default ones!
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:40 PM   #122
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Did you do a sync after the update? The sync doesn't happen when there is new firmware. The update check happens before the sync. If there is an update, it is downloaded and the rest of the sync skipped.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2013, 08:05 PM   #123
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Did you do a sync after the update? The sync doesn't happen when there is new firmware. The update check happens before the sync. If there is an update, it is downloaded and the rest of the sync skipped.
Ah, dang. You're right, as usual, Davidfor! As soon as I did a synch after updating, I lot the custom dictionaries.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:48 PM   #124
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
Ah, dang. You're right, as usual, Davidfor!
Can you please tell my wife?
Quote:
As soon as I did a synch after updating, I lot the custom dictionaries.
I'll have a little play with the size in the database and the timestamps.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:05 AM   #125
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I'll have a little play with the size in the database and the timestamps.
I have had a play. It looks like they are basing it on the actual file details. I updated the file size in the database and tried various dates. All resulted in a download of the dictionary during the sync.
Advert
Old 12-16-2013, 01:08 AM   #126
RobertJSawyer
Guru

Thanks for trying, Davidfor!
Old 12-17-2013, 09:51 PM   #127
RobertJSawyer
Guru

An idea that did NOT work. In hopes of getting custom dictionaries to survive synching, I moved the two custom dictionaries I use, named dicthtml-de.zip and dicthtml-nl.zip (respectively, Webster's 1913 and WordNet) from Kobo's main on-device storage in folder \.kobo\dict to this folder on an Micro SD card: \koboExtStorage\dict

The custom dictionaries worked fine from that location (a folder created by Kobo) but upon running a synch, the default versions of the two files were copied to the main on-device folder \.kobo\dict and although the ones on the Micro SD card were left untouched, apparently the Kobo device gives precedence to files in main memory at \.kobo\dict, and the default versions were henceforth called up instead.

(Tested on an Aura HD under 3.1.1)

Oh, well.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:35 AM   #128
emreka
emreka can extract oil from cheeseemreka can extract oil from cheeseemreka can extract oil from cheeseemreka can extract oil from cheeseemreka can extract oil from cheeseemreka can extract oil from cheeseemreka can extract oil from cheeseemreka can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Glo
This is very exciting however am I to understand that these two dictionaries were published in 1908 and 1913 respectively? If so, doesn't that mean they're quite outdated? I guess these are the only ones that are public domain.
emreka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:44 AM   #129
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
Probably it will not work, but try to remove write permissions to dictionaries.
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:27 AM   #130
RobertJSawyer
Guru

Emreka, no the WordNet dictionary is quite recent, and is based on this database: http://wordnet.princeton.edu/

You can get the free Kobo version of the WordNet dictionary here; it works quite well:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=87
Old 12-22-2013, 01:05 PM   #131
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
As soon as I did a synch after updating, I lot the custom dictionaries.
Maybe I found something: The idea is to make the dictionary engine use dictionary files that are different from those the synch mechanism is replacing.

step 1: rename all (original and custom) dictionaries according to the following pattern: dicthtml.zip > micthtml.zip, dicthtml-fr.zip > micthtml-fr.zip

step 2: replace in libnickel.so.1.0.0 three occurrences of dicthtml by micthtml

The example data for step 2 in the spoiler is for FW 3.0.1

Spoiler:
In all three cases the action is replace_string.

position=1105C78
olddata=%1/%2/dict/dicthtml%3
newdata=%1/%2/dict/micthtml%3

position=1105C60
olddata=%1/dicthtml%2
newdata=%1/micthtml%2

position=110608C
olddata=dicthtml
newdata=micthtml

I did this on my Touch and it worked. But of course, I did no long-term testing yet.
As always use this information at your own risk!

Last edited by tshering; 04-16-2014 at 01:45 PM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:45 PM   #132
exachillus
Banned
exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nook
Hi

Do Kobo`s latest firmwares support non html dictionaries? It is a hassle to get that marisa thing working with Penelope on windows.

thanks

Last edited by exachillus; 01-09-2014 at 10:52 PM.
exachillus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:54 PM   #133
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
I've tried two tricks to keep my Kobo units from overwriting the custom dictionaries with the default versions (I have Wordnet installed as Deutsch and Webster's 1913 as Nederlands), but neither worked: I tried setting the files to read-only attributes, and I tried giving them file dates in the future (2014) so that the Kobo might think that these were more recent than the ones it would otherwise replace them with. But nothing seems to stop the damn overwriting of the custom dictionaries.

I hope we can get a solution to this. I had custom dictionaries installed on my Aura and Aura HD only to find the next day that they had changed back to kobo! Is the only solution to turn off wifi and never sync? I read on both readers so I need syncing.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:16 PM   #134
arasyi
Zealot
arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
I hope we can get a solution to this. I had custom dictionaries installed on my Aura and Aura HD only to find the next day that they had changed back to kobo! Is the only solution to turn off wifi and never sync? I read on both readers so I need syncing.
Use KoboPatcher to replace the dictionary update url (in libnickel).
arasyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:58 PM   #135
Geeky
Enthusiast
Geeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdom

Device: none
Hi,

I'd like to ask if there is a way to check a dicthtml.zip file (created with penelope and marisa) for errors? I converted a stardict formated dictionary using both tools, but unfortunatelly the resulting file doesn't work on my Kobo Touch (firmware 3.3). I didn't get any error messages during convertion (and the debug output didn't indicate any problems either).

Thanks in advance.
Geeky is offline   Reply With Quote