Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 05-30-2013, 01:15 PM   #571
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldin View Post
I loved Treasure Island as a kid, and I picked it up as an adult thinking, "Well, this'll be quaint." Instead, I found it every bit as exciting and gripping as I remembered. Enjoy, Marrella!
I do, though I am afraid I am missing bits of it because it is my bedtime book. I am listening to the Blackstone version which is read by Frederick Davidson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldin View Post
I just finished Kim Stanley Robinson's 2312 (which just won the Nebula Award for Best Novel). Much of it is absolutely brilliant, a tour through a very inventive Solar System society 300 years from now. But be warned, it is S-L-O-W.
I remember reading his The Years of Rice and Salt after it won the Hugo. Yikes, what a slog. The problem was that it had also interesting bits, so I had to finish it. But I guess I really don't like his style.
Marrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:26 PM   #572
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Hmmm. Someone said that if we're lucky, we'll eventually get to where we only read a single book, forgetting it enough to enjoy the beginning by the time we finish. I'm not quite to THAT point yet, but I must say I'm enjoying more re-reads than I ever did.
I have always enjoyed re-reading and never understood that there are people who don't. I re-read more when I was a child, though. Of course I had more time on my hands then, and there were never enough books in the house. Nowadays, my TBR keeps growing and I find myself unable to keep pace. But it's not a reason to not re-read favorite books at all.

Quote:
An excellent series, and very well read by Mr. Gardner. I've enjoyed it quite a bit, and recently re-read the series in a mix of audio and ebook forms.
That's what I plan to do. I have most of the ebooks which came with the Cryoburn CD, but my problem is that I seem to be stuck in the middle of The Vor Game for about a year now. That's why I thought it might be a good idea to get myself some of the early audiobooks to rekindle my interest in the series.

Earlier this evening, I listened to an episode of the Lightspeed Magazine podcast: Eight Episodes by Robert Reed.

Wow. I really enjoyed that one. Perhaps I should add that I absolutely love well written stories with paleontological themes. This one had both paleontology and aliens.
Advert
Old 06-01-2013, 09:22 AM   #573
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Just finished an unabridged recording of Bleak House.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:56 AM   #574
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Just finished an unabridged recording of Bleak House.
And your thoughts? How was the reading (and who did it)?
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:08 AM   #575
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Recently finished You're Next by Gregg Hurwitz read by Scott Brick who was excellent as usual. I really rather enjoyed it especially when it picked up pace in the second half.

Now I'm listening to Split Second by David Baldacci also narrated by Scott Brick this is the first in the King and Maxwell series. I'm over half way through and really enjoying it the characters are good and the action fast. King reminds me a lot of John Corey(DeMille) which is a good thing in my book I started listening to this because the TV series based on the books starts this month on TNT.

Last edited by melmac; 06-08-2013 at 05:33 AM.
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #576
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Speaking of re-reads, I'm currently listening to A Short Victorious War, read by Allyson Johnson. An unfortunate reader choice, her use of inappropriate accents is quite jarring. On the other hand, they're good stories and one eventually gets used to her narration, though I certainly haven't learned to like it.
Finished A Short Victorious War, enjoyed it quite a bit. Then read Field of Dishonor, again read by Allyson Johnson. Still an annoying reader, but the stories are good enough I just ignore it. The sad thing is that with a good reader, the book is actually enhanced, but here we're having to let the book carry the reader. Ah well, I must be enjoying them, since I've finished four and moved on to Flag in Exile, the fifth in the series.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:49 AM   #577
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Finished A Short Victorious War, enjoyed it quite a bit. Then read Field of Dishonor, again read by Allyson Johnson. Still an annoying reader, but the stories are good enough I just ignore it. The sad thing is that with a good reader, the book is actually enhanced, but here we're having to let the book carry the reader. Ah well, I must be enjoying them, since I've finished four and moved on to Flag in Exile, the fifth in the series.
While I understand what you're saying about the accents she chooses, I happen to like her reading of the HH books. I once heard a version read by someone else (I think it was a cassette edition?) and it made me long to get Johnson back again. BORING!
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:42 AM   #578
Marrella
Cambrian crab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrella View Post
I am currently listening to Barrayar by Lois McMaster Bujold, read by Grover Gardner. Really like it. I read the two Cordelia books in the series ages ago and liked them a lot. Hopefully, they will get me into the mood to continue with the series.
Finished it and liked it a lot. I think I can now continue the series as I have been reminded of who everyone in the story is.

Today, I have listened to a double episode of the Classic Tales Podcast, The Call of Cthulhu by H. P. Lovecraft, read by B. J. Harrison. The story might be old-fashioned, but I still enjoy it a lot.

I am also listening to Stories, an anthology edited by Neil Gaiman and Al Sarrantonio. This is mostly dark fantasy, read by different narrators, all of them very good so far.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:22 PM   #579
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Just started listening to Death by Water book #15 in Kerry Greenwood's Phryne Fisher series, read by Stephanie Daniel. Now I absolutely love the Phryne Fisher books, but this is the first of them that I've listened to as an audio book. An excellent reader with good pace and good character definition. I'm not able to judge the quality of accents, but they don't sound wrong to my North American ears.

For those who haven't yet discovered Phryne, you have a treat ahead. The series is set in 1928 Melbourne (and environs), with this book being set on a P&O cruise ship to New Zealand. Phryne is a wonderful character, sort of an Australian (and female) Lord Peter Wimsey, but much funnier and delightfully eccentric. The first in the series is Cocaine Blues.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:43 PM   #580
sgoldin
SF/Fantasy Author
sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Adobe Digital Editions
I just finished Infinity Link by Jeffrey A. Carver. A very good first contact book with intriguing twists and characters you can enjoy as they grow and develop. It's a long book, but it kept me interested all the way through.
sgoldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:12 AM   #581
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmac View Post
Now I'm listening to Split Second by David Baldacci also narrated by Scott Brick this is the first in the King and Maxwell series. I'm over half way through and really enjoying it the characters are good and the action fast. King reminds me a lot of John Corey(DeMille) which is a good thing in my book I started listening to this because the TV series based on the books starts this month on TNT.
Now finished Split Second and while I enjoyed the characters and the early action I thought the ending was way way OTT. I've put the 2nd in the series in the TBL to pile hopefully the plotting is a little less out there.

Sean King reminded my so much of John Corey that I've gone back to Demille for my next listen and have loaded up Wildfire for a listen.
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:27 AM   #582
sgoldin
SF/Fantasy Author
sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Adobe Digital Editions
I just listened to Home Fires by Margaret Maron. It's like the 5th or 6th book in her Judge Deborah Knott mysteries. While I don't think I'd personally enjoy living in the semi-rustic South, her descriptions do make it seem so wonderfully comfortable. And the story is as entertaining as the earlier award-winning books were.
sgoldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:58 AM   #583
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
For those who haven't yet discovered Phryne, you have a treat ahead. The series is set in 1928 Melbourne (and environs), with this book being set on a P&O cruise ship to New Zealand. Phryne is a wonderful character, sort of an Australian (and female) Lord Peter Wimsey, but much funnier and delightfully eccentric. The first in the series is Cocaine Blues.
Agreed. I listened to Cocaine Blues last month and enjoyed it, Phryne is a fascinating character who tackles problems head on and the narrator's voice seemed a good match for the character.

After that I needed something mindless to listen to while I packed and moved, Dresden Files fit the bill so I listened to books 8 through 10 during two weeks of torture (moving).

I just finished The Cold, Cold Ground by Adrian Mckinty. It was set during 'The Troubles' in early 80s Belfast, a blast from the past and a really well done police procedural.

Before all that I listened to The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. Wonderfully done story about teens living with cancer.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:02 PM   #584
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I just re-upped with Audible (6 or 8 years later) for World War Z: The Complete Edition. The original WWZ was what got me to sign up with them in the first place, and what started my audiobook listening.

Unfortunately, they seem to have started a new account from my Amazon account, rather than let me sign in with my original (inactive) account, so I can't get at my old library
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:14 PM   #585
CRussel
(he/him/his)

You should still be able to get at your old account, though the sign in is different since it happens at a different page.

Your best bet -- contact their customer service. I've found them consistently responsive and helpful. And I've never had a long phone wait, either. One thing they might let you do is link your old account to your Amazon account -- that's how I moved a huge number of my old books over to align with the Amazon account. Didn't solve it for my other, Canadian, account, but I simply killed that one and then can log in to it on the old login page.

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations