Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-11-2011, 10:24 PM   #1
Sunspark
Zealot
Sunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with others

Device: EZ Reader Pocket PRO
I viewed the Kobo Touch today, minor negative observations made.

Hi:

I viewed the Kobo Touch today @ Chapters. They only had the black units on the demo stand. Because I like to look at the problems, here is a list of my criticisms.

Coating- The black units are rubberized on the front (a soft touch coating).. it is not a bad thing, my current e-reader has a rubberized coating as well. I do however prefer the non-rubberized plastic bezel like the old Kobo reader case. Also, after a long time if the same as my current device you will find the rubberized coating will begin to wear and eventually peel. Probably around then you'll slap on a skin to cover it up.

Font rendering- This is something I'm _very_ critical of. I have looked at many e-readers to see how they render fonts, and they're all different. It depends on whether they are using the freetype2 bytecode or autohinter interpreter, and how much hinting.. none, slight, full, etc. Well, the old Kobo reader (also on the display stand) has less pixelated better rendering compared to the Touch that was on the display. (This is a software issue and can be fixed, if it's ever noticed.) Yes Virginia, the older device shaped the letters better.

Text darkness- The old Kobo reader on the stand had darker text than the Touch. This is problematic because in addition to the font rendering, other "Pearl" readers have darker text than the Touchs that were on display. It is noticable enough that I found myself wondering if they had run out of Pearl screens and stuffed in a few older generation Vizplex screens. Compare to the other Pearl screen devices on the market and you'll see what I mean, if all the Touchs are the same as the demo units that were present. Could be manufacturing variation with the waveforms, still..

Page refresh flash- Like the Nook, no proper flash until 6th page turn. This is silly. One gets used to the flash and with the flash your text is darker. My e-reader does allow me to turn off the flash entirely or pick the interval it flashes at. My choice is to have it flash every page turn.. can't change this to date on the Touch.

So, for the price you get what you get. Hopefully work on fixing some of the things, especially the ones that can be worked on in software.
Sunspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:31 PM   #2
rahulm
Zealot
rahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: None
Here are my two main complaints (that are making the Nook Touch more enticing):

1. Font selection and formatting. I didn't much like the two default fonts, and I wish there was an option to reduce line spacing.

2. No dedicated page turn buttons. Most people probably wouldn't care, but I like having some buttons.
rahulm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2011, 11:48 AM   #3
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
When the page flashes with each page turn, I get used to it. Having it flash every 6th page turn, thus calling attention to the flash, while the type gets fainter and ghostlier seems like a very poor choice. You ought to be able to shut this "feature" off.

I also prefer physical page turn buttons.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:48 PM   #4
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
We will be introducing an option which will allow users to control how often the full refresh "flash" happens. Look for this in the next software update coming soon.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:55 PM   #5
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Kudos to Kobo for their responsiveness. I don't agree with all the choices they have obviously made in response to previous comments (i.e. making sleep and off so obvious on the screen rather than having a full screen cover -- I want my full cover back ) on KW and KO, but I am impressed they are looking at constantly improving.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2011, 02:05 PM   #6
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Kudos to Kobo for their responsiveness. I don't agree with all the choices they have obviously made in response to previous comments (i.e. making sleep and off so obvious on the screen rather than having a full screen cover -- I want my full cover back ) on KW and KO, but I am impressed they are looking at constantly improving.
I personally agree with you... so you have a friend on the inside Stay tuned.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:27 PM   #7
wes101
Zealot
wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
We will be introducing an option which will allow users to control how often the full refresh "flash" happens. Look for this in the next software update coming soon.
cool, any word on when that would be?

Also how come when you set the kobo to turn off say in 60 minutes it shuts off even if you are using it? I thought it would be 60 minutes of you not touching anything like a computer screen saver.Not a big deal just wanted to know

One last thing, why does a factory reset, reset it to "zero" instead of what it was at before the reset
wes101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:02 PM   #8
SameerH
Product Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes101 View Post
cool, any word on when that would be?

Also how come when you set the kobo to turn off say in 60 minutes it shuts off even if you are using it? I thought it would be 60 minutes of you not touching anything like a computer screen saver.Not a big deal just wanted to know

One last thing, why does a factory reset, reset it to "zero" instead of what it was at before the reset
It should only turn off after 60 minutes of inactivity in that case.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:22 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Has the font embedding been fixed from the previous Kobo models? This would be a deal breaker if it's still broken.

Have links been fixed as well so endnotes work? Again if broken, a deal breaker.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:39 PM   #10
Canorka
Connoisseur
Canorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch
No font embeds on side loaded epubs (can't speak for kepubs), end notes work on kepubs.
Canorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:53 PM   #11
wes101
Zealot
wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
It should only turn off after 60 minutes of inactivity in that case.
hmm, i guess i didint notice it
wes101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:27 PM   #12
rahulm
Zealot
rahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: None
Hello SameerH,

any plans to add more fonts or add the ability for users to add them ourselves?
rahulm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:37 PM   #13
doodlydood
Enthusiast
doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PRS-505, Kindle 3, iPad, Nook Touch, Kobo Touch
Rahulm, I have the Nook Touch, and I found that the embedded buttons were recessed and not really responsive, more like a nub under the coating than a proper clicky button like on the Kindle. Too bad.

Sunspark - dead on with your observations on the font. Real shame. Mine is going back.
doodlydood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:26 PM   #14
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlydood View Post
Sunspark - dead on with your observations on the font. Real shame. Mine is going back.

Well did you really need it? You bought a Nook touch at the same time.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:04 PM   #15
m_bisson
Groupie
m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.

Device: kobo touch :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulm View Post
Here are my two main complaints (that are making the Nook Touch more enticing):

2. No dedicated page turn buttons. Most people probably wouldn't care, but I like having some buttons.
It's a TOUCH SCREEN DEVICE!! If you want buttons you buy the NON-TOUCH SCREEN version.
m_bisson is offline   Reply With Quote