Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 08:37 AM   #1
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Can I safely charge my Kindle 3 or Kindle DXG with my smartphone wall adapter?

I posted this one as part of an old thread but it certainly looks like was a too old thread. Trying with a new one:

Cannot find my Kindle 3 wall adapter (I do have the USB cable though) can I safely charge my Kindle 3 or Kindle DXG with my HTC HD2 wall adapter?

Here are the details:

HTC HD2
Output 5.0 Volts, 1 Amps

Kindle 3 (I think these are the standards)
Output 4.9 Volts, 0.85 Amps

If I recall well and from my old University books as long as voltage is close enough (and current same or more) there should be no issues. Can anyone confirm or denying?

Thanks in advance,
Old 01-10-2011, 08:53 AM   #2
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?
TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
here's my thread on a similar issue.
i have a wall adapter too, different from the amazon-given one, so i asked around before using it. got some really good advice, used it and everything went fine.
from what i can see your adapter's specs are a bit higher than mine so i'd say it works but i'm not an expert.
Advert
Old 01-10-2011, 08:57 AM   #3
gollu
Unsullied
gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i
I haven't used my Kindle adapter since I got my new phone half a year ago. It has the micro usb standard as well and I have only one charger plugged in.
I've got Kindle 2 btw, but don't think there is any difference.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:23 AM   #4
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
A computer USB port which is a supported method of charging a Kindle will give 5V at 500mA so your phone charger is fine. The UK Kindle charger is 5V at 850mA. Not sure why your one is 4.9V. The higher current capacity of the Kindle charger may mean the Kindle charges faster but it will be perfectly okay with ~500mA as that is the standard.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:02 PM   #5
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I've been using my Blackberry charger and it appears to be working and I have not detected any SMOKE.

I will say that the other day, I tried using the rear port on my desktop with a usb-extention-cord. Something did not go correctly. While the k3's power-light went on (showing a connection and charging), the k3 never showed up as another drive on my computer. I don't know if the longish extention cord was the problem or the rear port but then my k3 rebooted. All was well but I'm not ready to redo that experiment.
Advert
Old 01-10-2011, 12:15 PM   #6
screwballl
NewKindler
screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
USB is USB, whether it is coming from the computer, adapter or other source. USB (1 and 2) is limited to 5V DC. I have not learned enough about USB3 to know if it has the same voltage limitations...

Only if there is some sort of out of the ordinary proprietary device that uses a USB style type connection with their own 12V or other output voltage is it NOT recommended. That is why it helps to look at the adapter itself to make sure it says around 5V.

For the Amps, anything from 500mA (0.5A) to 1000ma (1A) will work fine, the device will use/draw what it is able to which is typically 500-850mA (0.5-0.85A).

Last edited by screwballl; 01-10-2011 at 12:20 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:18 PM   #7
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Don't try this with a Sony. The one time I did it, the battery drained and got very hot.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:01 PM   #8
Baldrake
Connoisseur
Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Mozart
I was about to post a thread with just this question! Thanks to those who answered. (karma++)
Old 01-10-2011, 02:17 PM   #9
leaston
Addict
leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
I second the thanks for the thread. I was looking at my mobile charger the other day (HTC Desire) and wondered if I could use it.

Cheers everyone for answering my question before I asked!
Old 01-10-2011, 06:20 PM   #10
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
To all!

Thanks a lot! I just removed dust from some old University books and found this link too: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic8532.html

You guys were right. As long as Voltage is the same and current same or a bit higher, it should be find, assuming the battery is not defective or get too hot.

Hope this thread can help someone else as well.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:14 PM   #11
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
I use my HTC EVO adapter and my Kindle adapter interchangeably. Before I did so, I checked and found that iGo has the same tip listed for both, which gave me some confidence that smoke would not ensue, and it didn't. (A97 is the Kindle 2/3 tip. See what's listed for your phone.)

Last edited by whitearrow; 01-10-2011 at 07:16 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:20 PM   #12
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Don't try this with a Sony. The one time I did it, the battery drained and got very hot.
I think they're really talking about the micro usb that cell phones have. The new Sony's use the same micro usb that cell phones and Kindles have. The upside is I can use the same port for books and charging.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:26 PM   #13
Kindle Worm
Enthusiast
Kindle Worm writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kindle Worm writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kindle Worm writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kindle Worm writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kindle Worm writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kindle Worm writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kindle Worm writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kindle Worm writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kindle Worm writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kindle Worm writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kindle Worm writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle
Wow, this was my top question, and part of the reason I registered! THanks for all the info!
Old 01-11-2011, 03:01 PM   #14
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I like that the K3 has a standard micro USB. I thought I would only have to bring one cord for my blackberry, personal phone and K3. But nooooo, my motorola phone says I am using an unauthorized charger, and refuses to charge. Verizon told me I could buy a special USB cord, but that kinda defeats the purpose, don't it?
Old 01-11-2011, 05:54 PM   #15
screwballl
NewKindler
screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
The problem is the pins that connect to the devices themselves are typically custom for that device, even if the port itself is different.

I have a Garmin GPS and wifes Motorola phone that have the exact same plug on the device side, yet one does not work on the other... BUT I did find out the Garmin cord/plug is universal where the cell phone is not.

Mine looks like this on the Garmin and cell phone:

The USB specs only state that the square end like what plugs into a computer must conform to standards, at the other end companies can use whatever connector they want, even if it is the same as other devices.

I need to find a 120V to 5V USB with 5 USB Ports on it for charging...
Devices with a USB charge cord:
Nintendo DS
Samsung Cell phone
Motorola Cell phone
Garmin GPS
Kindle

I may pick one of these up just for charging.

I have a few others but they are rarely used like my handheld GPS for geocaching...

Last edited by screwballl; 01-11-2011 at 06:01 PM.
Closed Thread