Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-02-2010, 03:06 PM   #1
Neil
Addict
Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 6, iPad Air, Kindles HD 8, HD 10, Oasis 3, Scribe, PB Color
Moving ePubs to iTunes?

Hi --
Well, I just used Calibre to convert about 300 of my mobi files to epub without a hitch. Obviously, this is in preparation for my iPad tomorrow! Question: Is there any quick way to move books now to iTunes so they can by synced to the iPad? Right now I have to manually go to my ebooks library, open the folder(s) that the ebook I want is in and copy and then paste it into iTunes. I am wondering if I can use any of Calibre's features to do that easier? Or, failing that, do you think you could design a "transfer to device" for the iPad which would actually transfer the ebooks to iTunes for sync later as you can't go direct to the iPad as you can to a Kindle. Please let me know and maybe I'll hold off on moving the bulk of these if there's a transfer option on the way. Thanks!
-- Neil
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 03:52 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The idea of having a Send to iTunes option has a lot of merit - but with the support in a version of iTunes having only been released in the last day or so I would have thought it is going to be a while before a definitive answer is likely. Even if the decision is made to proceed then I would expect it to take a while to get developed (I would like to be proved wrong though ).
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 04:53 PM   #3
Neil
Addict
Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 6, iPad Air, Kindles HD 8, HD 10, Oasis 3, Scribe, PB Color
I agree! I was offering the send-to-iTunes as a suggestion for a future feature. But I was also wondering if there's anything I could do now using Calibre's other features to help until a real transfer option becomes available? Maybe there is some way to mark a selection of files and save copies in a folder, for example?
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 05:08 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Can you not do a file -> import in iTunes?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:49 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You should be able to browse your calibre collection on your iPad directly with the content server already.

And there are plans to add support for the iPad as a device if apple allows it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:27 AM   #6
sjohnson717
sjohnson717 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle, Apple iPad
Yes, I can confirm that Stanza for the iPhone works fine on iPad. Just run Calibre, open Stanza on iPad and browse your books. Because it's not an iPad app, the letters are a tad fuzzy in 2x mode.
sjohnson717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:33 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If you don't like to use Stanza, you can also access your books via the content server using Safari, you just need to know the IP address of the computer running the calibre content server then in safari type

http://192.168.1.2:8080

Where you replace 192.168.1.2 with the IP address of your computer and 8080 with whatever port you are running the content server on (8080 is the default)
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:46 AM   #8
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I would have thought that you could also use iBook and load the files via iTunes.

Until a more direct option is developed this would probably be easiest done by using the "Save to Disk" option to putt any files you want (in ePub format) into a nominated folder and then dragiing that folder into itunes.

It would be nice to have some feedback from someone who has now got an iPad to know how well that works.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:58 AM   #9
All4Fun
Zealot
All4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, Blackberry Bold
I have an iPad and am using iTunes to sync my epubs that are already in my Calibre library.

I just go into iTunes and use the "Add Folder to Library..." option and point to the folder where my Calibre library is located. Once that's done, sync your iPad with iTunes.

By doing this, you continue to centralize the location of your ebooks without duplicating them anywhere else.
All4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:18 AM   #10
andrew78
andrew78 began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
Does anyone know how to set file associations in the IPad safari. I am trying to get the iBooks app to read books off my content server. It doesn't seem to want to do that. I originally had Stanza and another program that reads compressed files (not epubs) on my Ipad. When I clicked the epub link in the content server, it downloaded them and then prompted me whether to open them in stanza or the other program (not iBooks). I uninstalled but Stanza and the other program, and now when I click the Epub link it thinks for a second and then says "Download Failed:Safari cannot download this file".
andrew78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 01:18 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by All4Fun View Post
I just go into iTunes and use the "Add Folder to Library..." option and point to the folder where my Calibre library is located. Once that's done, sync your iPad with iTunes.

By doing this, you continue to centralize the location of your ebooks without duplicating them anywhere else.
Doesn't this depend on your "Copy files to iTunes Media Folder when adding to library" is on or off?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 02:55 PM   #12
All4Fun
Zealot
All4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, Blackberry Bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Doesn't this depend on your "Copy files to iTunes Media Folder when adding to library" is on or off?

BOb
To be honest, I don't know. My setting is unchecked. I suppose if the option was checked, you would be duplicating your ePub library to the itunes media where your content is saved.
All4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:33 PM   #13
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
@andrew78 I have the same problem. ePubs are viewable only via stanza using the content server.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote