Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Other Books

Notices

Old 12-15-2007, 04:11 PM   #16
Clemenseken
eWriter
Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PB-IQ / Sony PRS-500
Hi Peter!

yes, I admit I took some trouble in this PDF file. But it's mostly because I'd like to know how other eReaders work - I might get me another model sooner or later.
Just now I'm still waiting for touchscreen capabilities - without having to pay 600+ euros for it ...

By the way: what I momentarily do is a version of an Italian-to-German dictionary (from the site you linked me to). But 150,000 words is really too much for a pdf. So I'm about to throw out more than 100,000 of them (mainly by using grep to eliminate all "-o,-i,-a,-iamo,-ate,-anno" words etc.).
That will take some time - and I can't spend more than 1-3 hours daily on that.

See you, Clemens
Clemenseken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 04:46 AM   #17
lindemaximilian
lindemaximilian began at the beginning.

Device: cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemenseken View Post
Hi Peter!

yes, I admit I took some trouble in this PDF file. But it's mostly because I'd like to know how other eReaders work - I might get me another model sooner or later.
Just now I'm still waiting for touchscreen capabilities - without having to pay 600+ euros for it ...

By the way: what I momentarily do is a version of an Italian-to-German dictionary (from the site you linked me to). But 150,000 words is really too much for a pdf. So I'm about to throw out more than 100,000 of them (mainly by using grep to eliminate all "-o,-i,-a,-iamo,-ate,-anno" words etc.).
That will take some time - and I can't spend more than 1-3 hours daily on that.

See you, Clemens

If you take out all the inflections of the words you strongly reduce the usefulness of the dictionary for ebook reading, at least on devices which have no word input possibility. For instance, on the Cybook Gen 3 there is a look-up function for mobi books where you can obtain the translation of a word in the text you are just reading. But it must be the exact grammatical form of this very word; if you select the word mangiamo and it is not in the dictionary you will not get a result. There is no way to try mangiare for which there would be of course a translation.
Cheers
Peter
lindemaximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2007, 05:53 AM   #18
Clemenseken
eWriter
Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindemaximilian View Post
If you take out all the inflections of the words you strongly reduce the usefulness of the dictionary for ebook reading, at least on devices which have no word input possibility. For instance, on the Cybook Gen 3 there is a look-up function for mobi books where you can obtain the translation of a word in the text you are just reading. But it must be the exact grammatical form of this very word; if you select the word mangiamo and it is not in the dictionary you will not get a result.
Well, but what I do is a dictionary in PDF format. Does the lookup function jump to words IN A PDF directly? If so - you wouldn't need any page numbers on my dictionaries, would you?
That would of course be a reason to keep all 150,000 in it...
But, alas, my Sony does not support any "lookupping"...
Do you happen to know if the PRS505 (new model) does support this?

See you later, Clemens

...one more thing: I just updated (exchanged) the dictionary...4p.pdf file to a one with FOUR empty pages after the A-Z pages! This way you'll save a lot of computing power...

Last edited by Clemenseken; 12-16-2007 at 08:40 AM.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:25 PM   #19
Clemenseken
eWriter

Hi! Just to get this thread to the top-of-the-list ...

I'd like to remind those about 360-400 members from MobileRead.com who downloaded one of the Italian<->English dictionaries that I would appreciate it VERY much if I got some feedback on usability or UNusability of them!

I am planning to release further versions with more language-combinations (Italian<>???) - but probably won't do this if there seems to be no REAL interest at all ...

(hope someone has subscribed to this !???????)
Old 01-12-2008, 06:41 PM   #20
adelheid
Zealot
adelheid began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
I'd like to remind those about 360-400 members from MobileRead.com who downloaded one of the Italian<->English dictionaries that I would appreciate it VERY much if I got some feedback on usability or UNusability of them!

I am planning to release further versions with more language-combinations (Italian<>???) - but probably won't do this if there seems to be no REAL interest at all ...

(hope someone has subscribed to this !???????)

I am very interested in an Italian-English dictionary. I will have a look at it, if this will work on a Cybook and let you know.

Regards,
Adelheid
adelheid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2008, 05:33 AM   #21
adelheid
Zealot

A dictionary would be of most use on my Cybook when it is accessible through the lookup function.

I have done some searching and found that the lookup function on the Cybook works when you have a mobipocket formatted dictionary available. It does not see a pdf as a source.

A mobipocket dictionary can be created with Mobipocket Creator, using html tags specific to Mobipocket dictionaries. I might try to use your pdf as input for such a dictionary, to see if it indeed can be made to work.

I have yet to find a mobipocket dictionary Italian-English for sale, so if I want it, I would have to make it myself anyway.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:29 AM   #22
Clemenseken
eWriter

Hi adelheid!

It seems you have to have a cybook to get really fast dictionary access (well, iliads would do, too).

I have the double disadvantage (in this respect) to own an older APPLE iBook - so I can't run an emulation of win2000/upwards and therefore no Mobipocket / Creator, either - and the Sony PRS500 - so not Mobireader is installable.

Bad luck, it seems.
Actually I might consider "swapping" MY PRS500 for a cybook; but as I'm really looking forward to get a touch-screen-eReader sometime, I then would have to swap once more - which my financial means will not allow in the near future.

I just read (somewhere else) that mobipocket dictionaries are created from html files; in "my" dictionaries the source-site for these pdfs is mentioned:
you might use this free html to build your own dictionary.

So my efforts seem to be of use only in "urgent" cases as a pdf is navigable quite slowly even on my Sony.
Thanks a lot for your reply anyway!

Best regards, Clemens

(By the way: does "adelheid" point to a German speaking home country in your case? - no need to answer, just curious...)
Old 01-14-2008, 03:19 PM   #23
adelheid
Zealot

Quote:
I just read (somewhere else) that mobipocket dictionaries are created from html files; in "my" dictionaries the source-site for these pdfs is mentioned:
you might use this free html to build your own dictionary.

(By the way: does "adelheid" point to a German speaking home country in your case? - no need to answer, just curious...)
I will have a look at your source, since I would like to have an Italian-English dictionary. And concerning my name: I am right next door to Germany, in the Netherlands.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:19 PM   #24
adelheid
Zealot

Hurray! I have made a working Cybook Italian-English dictionary!

It is a very simple one still, and I have already noticed some further tweaking is needed. But it works.

Thanks for the source Clemens!
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: prc MobiDictionary.prc (787.1 KB, 732 views)

Last edited by adelheid; 01-14-2008 at 04:29 PM.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:12 AM   #25
Clemenseken
eWriter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelheid View Post
Hurray! I have made a working Cybook Italian-English dictionary!

E..N..V..Y... !!! . . . J..E..A..L..O..U..S..Y... !!!

i want a working dictionary for my sony, too...

Well! ... bad luck for me ... good luck for you!

By the way, I mentioned further up that I'm about to do an Italian-to-German dictionary.
Will you be interested in that one, too?
(Apart from my chauvinistic attitude that GERMAN should be easier for you than ENGLISH: The trick with that one will be that I started to reduce vocabulary from a QUARTER MILLION words - it will be much more complete than the English one.)

I'm glad you attached your version here!
A LOT OF PEOPLE will be grateful for that...

best wishes to the netherlands, Clemens
Old 01-15-2008, 04:39 AM   #26
adelheid
Zealot

My English vocab is unfortunately a lot better than my German. But I did notice that the English - Italian wordlist I have now is rather limited. Other freeware lists I found seem to be similarly limited.

If there is a big fat Italian - German list available, I would gladly turn that into a mobidictionary (although Pons does have German-Italian dictionaries for mobipocket available and I am not against buying at all). If it's more than the Pons dictionary, I would be interested.

Last edited by adelheid; 01-15-2008 at 04:55 AM.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:14 AM   #27
Clemenseken
eWriter

Quote:

If there is a big fat Italian - German list available, I would gladly turn that into a mobidictionary...
If it's more than the Pons dictionary, I would be interested.
Well, I somewhere was told (forgot where) that a GOOD dictionary must have ALL inflections (andare, vado, vai, va, andiamo etc.) to be of general use for your Cybook.

Is that the simple truth? Or does your system find "similar" words?
Old 01-15-2008, 05:40 AM   #28
adelheid
Zealot

I read that too. I am not sure, but I can certainly test it, since I can tweak my dictionary to include and afterwards exclude some inflections. I will give it a try and report back.

I do notice in my English dictionary that it will give you results which are almost equal to the one you want. That may be an advanced feature.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:19 PM   #29
adelheid
Zealot

The simple dictionary I made does need all the different inflections. When it comes to words like 'autorizzata', it won't point you to 'autorizzato'.

As I said, this may be an advanced option I haven't understood yet. But that is how it stands now.

I got the accenting right, but can't seem to upload the new file [edit: got it uploaded].

Clemens, if your Italian-German list is better, please can you let me know how I can get it? Thanks!
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: prc Italian - English Dictionary.prc (787.0 KB, 835 views)

Last edited by adelheid; 01-15-2008 at 05:09 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:23 AM   #30
Clemenseken
eWriter

Quote:
As I said, this may be an advanced option I haven't understood yet. But that is how it stands now.
You might look into the temporary html code that is produced in between(I read somewhere) whether there are special tags for "almost equal" results ?!?

Quote:
Clemens, if your Italian-German list is better, please can you let me know how I can get it? Thanks!
Here-it-is:

http://infoportal-deutschland.aus-st...ch-deutsch.htm

You'd have to get all letters a-z one by one, though, and put them into one file. BUT: the resulting html is about 5 MB in size.

P.s.-edit: BTW, could you describe to me how typically you proceed to look up a foreign word (like: move the joistick x-times / click y-times / do-something-I-can't imagine ...) so I get an idea how much better your dictionaries work?!?

Thank you, Adelheid!

Last edited by Clemenseken; 01-16-2008 at 04:27 AM.