Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-25-2010, 01:36 AM   #1
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
E-booking Wikipedia pages

Hello distinguished members,

There is one Wikipedia page that I would like to to be able to read on on my Sony.

I tried, saving it as html and converting it with Calibre to epub. the mechanics worked perfectly, but the results were not usable.

What happens is that objects of the Tableclass="Wikitable" are cut laterally and I can see only that part that fits the screen. Changing orientation does not help.
Converting to PDF (Calibre let the paper be choosen) did not work either.

Can you help me or give me a hint?

Thanks in advance
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 02:52 AM   #2
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Would dotepub work for you? It's a very simple one-click process and works very well, though usually it just grabs the text, if I remember correctly. I don't know how well it would work with a Wikipedia article though.

http://dotepub.com/

Last edited by viviena; 09-25-2010 at 02:56 AM.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 05:52 AM   #3
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viviena View Post
Would dotepub work for you? It's a very simple one-click process and works very well, though usually it just grabs the text, if I remember correctly. I don't know how well it would work with a Wikipedia article though.

thank you. I will try what you suggest and let you know.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:07 AM   #4
c-not-k
Enthusiast
c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony PRS 650, T3, Nook Color
I just copy and paste to Word. I have a 505-sized document template (3.57 x 4.82", 0" margins.) I run a macro to resize images, and saveas PDF.

Macro (I'm sure somebody here could optimize it; I call out the same code twice. It works, though.)

Sub SonyResizeImages()
Dim shp As InlineShape
For Each shp In ActiveDocument.InlineShapes
If shp.Width > 250 Then
If shp.Height > 320 Then
shp.Height = 320
End If
shp.Width = 250
End If
If shp.Height > 320 Then
shp.Height = 320
End If
Next shp
End Sub
c-not-k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:10 PM   #5
beppe
Grand Sorcerer

I'll try this right away. and let you you know. thanks

It works as promised. Reuse of code is lighter on coding

K on its way!

Last edited by beppe; 09-25-2010 at 12:47 PM.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:39 PM   #6
c-not-k
Enthusiast
c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Cool. Let me know. I'm assuming you have Word 2007 with SP2 or at least the PDF exporter patch loaded.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:17 AM   #7
beppe
Grand Sorcerer

I have XP with SP3, Word2003 and Acrobat 7 professional. I print to Acrobat.
Your scheme works without a hitch.

The problems are practical and related to the careful formatting of the Wikipedia pages that I want, designed for large screens, and with plenty of tables. No way out except work on the temporary Word doc. I might do it or not. Probably I will just hard print with the Wikipedia facility and read on paper.

Thanks a lot
Old 09-26-2010, 09:59 AM   #8
iptech
iptech has a spectacular aura aboutiptech has a spectacular aura aboutiptech has a spectacular aura aboutiptech has a spectacular aura aboutiptech has a spectacular aura aboutiptech has a spectacular aura aboutiptech has a spectacular aura aboutiptech has a spectacular aura aboutiptech has a spectacular aura aboutiptech has a spectacular aura aboutiptech has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS-600
As it's for a Wikipedia article why not use the Wikipedia export function to generate a PDF or if you want to combine multiple Wikipedia articles you can use their Book Creator tool.

There's a great walk-through of how to do this HERE. <-Clicky Link
iptech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:32 AM   #9
Jonimeesermann
Connoisseur
Jonimeesermann began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia e71, Ipod Touch, Sony PRS 300
Have you tried Instapaper? I've use its app since I have my iTouch, and works really great for reading long article that I don't have to read right away. And it can works from PC's browser by just installing bookmarklet, and you're good to go. As far as I know, it will strip down all unnecessary element in webpage (no ads, yay!!) and just display text and its images.

I've just tried dotepub based on previous recommendation but it is limited to convert one webpage at a time. While with Instapaper you can save a lot of webpage and offer option to convert it to epub and mobi.
Jonimeesermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:49 PM   #10
beppe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonimeesermann View Post
Have you tried Instapaper? I've use its app since I have my iTouch, and works really great for reading long article that I don't have to read right away. And it can works from PC's browser by just installing bookmarklet, and you're good to go. As far as I know, it will strip down all unnecessary element in webpage (no ads, yay!!) and just display text and its images.

I've just tried dotepub based on previous recommendation but it is limited to convert one webpage at a time. While with Instapaper you can save a lot of webpage and offer option to convert it to epub and mobi.
Thank you Jonimeesermann
I went there, opened an account tried it out. It can re-access a web page with much ease, but I wanted to generate a good quality file for my reader when in the source there are tables, more or less equivalent to figures. This involves some scaling.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:53 PM   #11
beppe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iptech View Post
As it's for a Wikipedia article why not use the Wikipedia export function to generate a PDF or if you want to combine multiple Wikipedia articles you can use their Book Creator tool.

There's a great walk-through of how to do this HERE. <-Clicky Link
Thank you iptech

i am aware of the export functions of Wikipedia. With the page I am interested there are formatting problems that can be solved going through Word that gives me control.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:58 PM   #12
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
I often find that Word is very good at keeping the formatting when copying a whole web-page and then pasting it directly into Word, but perhaps I've been lucky and only tried it on pages with simple layouts.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:26 PM   #13
hopkinsenglish
Connoisseur
hopkinsenglish began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by viviena View Post

I second the dotepub recommendation. I've been using it all week with my 650 and it has been wonderful.
hopkinsenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:46 PM   #14
c-not-k
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
I have XP with SP3, Word2003 and Acrobat 7 professional. I print to Acrobat.
Your scheme works without a hitch.

The problems are practical and related to the careful formatting of the Wikipedia pages that I want, designed for large screens, and with plenty of tables. No way out except work on the temporary Word doc. I might do it or not. Probably I will just hard print with the Wikipedia facility and read on paper.

Thanks a lot
Oooh, a challenge. I'll see what I can do to resize tables, too. (I create a lot of docs with tables.)
Old 09-26-2010, 04:08 PM   #15
beppe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpadx View Post
I often find that Word is very good at keeping the formatting when copying a whole web-page and then pasting it directly into Word, but perhaps I've been lucky and only tried it on pages with simple layouts.
Hi thinpadx

I did it now for the first time and everything went very smoothly. The formatting of my page was the usual Wikipedia, no loss there.