Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-25-2009, 09:03 AM   #1
andiyar
andiyar began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 3G
PRS-600: A few quick questions

Hello all,

I'm about to buy my first ever ebook reader (other than my iPhone), and am pretty sure that the Sony PRS-600 is where I'll be heading. I've never used an eInk device before, so I don't thyink that comparative glare (re PRS-505) will be a problem, but I had a few questions about the actual device itself that I hope someone might be able to help me with.

My actual usage will be primarily for reading fiction - ePub, PDF, etc, which I already use calibre to convert/organise. Otherwise, I plan to use the reader for a bit of uni work, hopefully in being able to read some digital texts I have on the reader, and perhaps to make freehand notes.

From the various bits and pieces I've read around the web, it appears that you can use the stylus to make notes - I assume these are exportable as image files (are they?) but I was curious to know if I could, say, load a PDF lecture slide onto the PRS-600, and then make handwritten notes that would be saved onto the document? Is there any way to take quick notes down on the PRS-600 that can be attached to the actual file being worked on, or, as I mentioned before, can I use it as a virtual notebook?

It's not a dealbreaker if I can't, but it'd be nice to have.

Also, I had a couple of questions about the PRS-600's use as a PDF reader. From what I've read, if the PDF is a scanned/image, the PRS-600 doesn't do as well as if it's a proper text PDF - is that correct? I have a couple of sample pages from a few different PDF sources, would it be possible for someone with a PRS-600 to load any of them up and maybe take a picture of how they display on the device?

Thanks for any help all - it's much appreciated

-Andiyar
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Extract Gastro.pdf (580.6 KB, 245 views)
File Type: pdf GL Lecture Extract.pdf (524.1 KB, 274 views)
File Type: pdf Step 1 Extract.pdf (602.8 KB, 234 views)
andiyar is offline   Reply With Quote