Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-15-2009, 09:50 PM   #1
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Amazon Gift Certificates from Coin Star

How do they work? Are the gift certificates converted into gift cards? If so, can one certificate be split into multiple cards?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:56 PM   #2
NavyDad6
Reading is FUNdamental
NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2
You put your coins in.... select Amazon certificate.... it prints out a receipt worth the amount of coins you put in. On the receipt is a code that you can enter online at the Amazon website.

I cashed in over $160 that went towards my Kindle 2.

What is good is that you get the full value of the coins deposited. Other coinstar options don't give you that.

Last edited by NavyDad6; 02-15-2009 at 10:02 PM.
NavyDad6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2009, 09:56 PM   #3
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
From what I understand, they print you a reciept with a code number, which you enter into your amazon.com account gift card section. Far as I know, the only way to split it up would be to split up the money you put into the coinstar machine.
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:00 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I bought a K2 for my mother and set up a separate account for her tied to one of my credit cards. I'd rather have a gift card tied to it instead but don't need to give her one with a huge denomination (my bother and sister can buy her cards as well).

Thank you both. I have a better idea of how it works.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:26 PM   #5
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Youll need to keep a credit card associated to the amazon account (I think, someone else can probably be more sure about it)
Advert
Old 02-15-2009, 10:28 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoro View Post
Youll need to keep a credit card associated to the amazon account (I think, someone else can probably be more sure about it)
Why? You can have no credit card attached to an account and just have a gift card.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:30 PM   #7
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan

Hence why i said someone else would probably be more sure about it. I was under the impression that you needed to since you needed one to register your kindle to the account (dont they make you do that, or is that only for purchasing the kindle in the first place?)
Old 02-15-2009, 10:33 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoro View Post
Hence why i said someone else would probably be more sure about it. I was under the impression that you needed to since you needed one to register your kindle to the account (dont they make you do that, or is that only for purchasing the kindle in the first place?)
No you don't. Basically if you have a NON US Credit Card registered to the account you can NOT buy Kindle books. But, you can buy with only gift card balance. I know of several members here that are outside of the US with Kindles that get there books just that way. Two I remember are 1 guy fram Sudia Arabia and one gal in Australia.

BOb
Old 02-15-2009, 10:46 PM   #9
brn_eyed_girl81
Connoisseur
brn_eyed_girl81 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I'm pretty excited about the coinstar certificates - we have been saving all our coins since I read about it. I usually try to pay with exact change when I use cash, just because my purse gets too heavy with all the change, but now I'm excited to get change back. Also, somewhere, we have a whole bag of nickels we need to use. For some reason, to my husband, this seems like saving money. Mostly because my credit card bill doesn't go up.

Also, Daffy, love your screensaver!
brn_eyed_girl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:53 PM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by brn_eyed_girl81 View Post

Thanks! I can't take credit for it. chrissy made for me after I teased her about her scary fish avatar. She made the Kindle skin out of skulls.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:50 PM   #11
StanDaMan
Connoisseur
StanDaMan began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDad6 View Post

I cashed in over $160 that went towards my Kindle 2.
Spare change for Kindle 2.... now that's not a bad idea . Also the full value is really good, a lot of coinstars take almost 10% (at least the one I use does).
StanDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:30 PM   #12
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
I'm pretty excited about the coinstar certificates - we have been saving all our coins since I read about it. I usually try to pay with exact change when I use cash, just because my purse gets too heavy with all the change, but now I'm excited to get change back. Also, somewhere, we have a whole bag of nickels we need to use. For some reason, to my husband, this seems like saving money. Mostly because my credit card bill doesn't go up.

You should do what I do, and pick up change off the ground I take my change out every day and put it in my piggy bank. I hate having change everywhere (plus it is easier to lose that way).
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:38 PM   #13
brn_eyed_girl81
Connoisseur
brn_eyed_girl81 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
It makes me think of TV shows when they make a swear jar - like on the SImpsons and in the end they use the money to buy Santa's Little Helper's doghouse.
brn_eyed_girl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:37 PM   #14
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan

Hehe Ramsy from Hells kitchen has a swear jar in his house. Cant imagine how much money goes into that lol.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:42 PM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It makes me think of TV shows when they make a swear jar - like on the SImpsons and in the end they use the money to buy Santa's Little Helper's doghouse.
MAny development shops have a jar like this... you break the build you feed the jar. Your late for the daily scrum you feed that jar. But, the money is used to buy snacks for the group.

BOb