Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 10-31-2008, 03:05 AM   #1
seamad
seamad began at the beginning.

Device: prs505, cybook Gen3 (no more), Kindle V3, Archos 7 HT
Smile ebooks are not a choice

Hi all,
my name is Peter, I'm Italian and I'm approaching ebooks for the first time.

In my professional life I read a lot on the screen, but it was always on a pc screen as I used to work in IT.

Now I relocated in the Mekong's delta, may be not in the middle of nowhere but surely very near to it.

Having a huge amount of books back in Italy I slowly started to bring them here, but it's a real slow process to bring books on the plane due to weight restrictions.

Ho Chi Minh (Saigon) is a 6 hours bus ride from where I live and it's the nearest place with a good choice of books.

So it's ebooks! Do I like to read on a screen? Not sure, may be because I'm forced to read on a laptop screen and my laptops (two 15.4" and one 17", I cant live without experimenting with programs, probably it comes from my working experience) aren't so mobile after all.

Anyway I installed Mobipocket Reader and started reading; not bad at all, I miss the paper sensation but I will survive; the books I brought suffer from the humidity you get here and deteriorate quickly.

But I need a device to bring around. Having surfed the net a little bit I'm almost decided for a PRS 505: the reader is a mature one, the price is the cheapest one and it offers everything I (think I) need.
The only problem is that with a hundred bucks or so more I could get an eee Pc 901 that doesn't weight too much, has a good battery life, has colors (some books do have color pictures) and does a lot more.

Is it a possibility or it's my love for computer that misleads me?
seamad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 04:10 AM   #2
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Hi Peter and welcome to the forum.

As iterated here on the forum many times, you cannot compare Eink screens to regular LCD screens. Reading from an Eink screen is more akin to reading from plain ol' books than to reading from the laptop. I know it may not look like a big deal from the clips you have seen on the net, but trust me, it is. It's a whole different experience.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2008, 04:13 AM   #3
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
Hi Peter and welcome to the forum.

As iterated here on the forum many times, you cannot compare Eink screens to regular LCD screens. Reading from an Eink screen is more akin to reading from plain ol' books than to reading from the laptop. I know it may not look like a big deal from the clips you have seen on the net, but trust me, it is. It's a whole different experience.
Especially if you plan on reading for any length of time....

And welcome to MobileREad
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 04:55 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I think you'll be happier with the EInk reader rather than just a very small PC. The eInk screen is much, much nicer to use.

Do look at the Bookeen CyBook as well, as that has the best Mobipocket support. But if the Sony is significantly cheaper for you, that has the same screen - you'll just need Calibre to do conversions for you. (The Sony eBook store is rarely the cheapest place to get eBooks, and also limits choice.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamad View Post
Hi all,
my name is Peter, I'm Italian and I'm approaching ebooks for the first time.

In my professional life I read a lot on the screen, but it was always on a pc screen as I used to work in IT.

Now I relocated in the Mekong's delta, may be not in the middle of nowhere but surely very near to it.

Having a huge amount of books back in Italy I slowly started to bring them here, but it's a real slow process to bring books on the plane due to weight restrictions.

Ho Chi Minh (Saigon) is a 6 hours bus ride from where I live and it's the nearest place with a good choice of books.

So it's ebooks! Do I like to read on a screen? Not sure, may be because I'm forced to read on a laptop screen and my laptops (two 15.4" and one 17", I cant live without experimenting with programs, probably it comes from my working experience) aren't so mobile after all.

Anyway I installed Mobipocket Reader and started reading; not bad at all, I miss the paper sensation but I will survive; the books I brought suffer from the humidity you get here and deteriorate quickly.

But I need a device to bring around. Having surfed the net a little bit I'm almost decided for a PRS 505: the reader is a mature one, the price is the cheapest one and it offers everything I (think I) need.
The only problem is that with a hundred bucks or so more I could get an eee Pc 901 that doesn't weight too much, has a good battery life, has colors (some books do have color pictures) and does a lot more.

Is it a possibility or it's my love for computer that misleads me?
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 06:56 AM   #5
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Hi Peter, welcome, I was in the same situation a few years ago, living in a small town in a foreign country with not a huge access to new books. Ebooks would have made things so much easier! I am glad I have discovered them now at least, but back then they would have made such a difference
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2008, 06:59 AM   #6
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I've got both a Sony Reader and a small EEE. The battery life on the EEE is about 3 hours and it's quite heavy to hold. You can arrange to rotate the screen so as to hold it like a book.
The Sony is much lighter and more pleasant to read with, in my opinion. And the battery lasts for a long time. The result is that I almost never use the EEE for reading, when there's the option of using the Sony.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:09 PM   #7
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Peter and welcome to the Forum. I used to read on an iPaq but really like the Sony now
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 05:11 PM   #8
jrdixey
jrdixey began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch
Interesting situation to find yourself in!

I would think communication networks would influence your choice, being in the developing world. What is the infrastructure like? Do you have high speed wireless/Internet connections?

jrd

Last edited by jrdixey; 11-02-2008 at 05:14 PM.
jrdixey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 05:18 PM   #9
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
I just love my EEE as an ebook reader with FBReader software. It is light and easy and I much prefer it to any bigger screened computer that I own for reading (especially in bed ) BUT I have a friend who has an eInk reader (Sony) and believe me, it is another, better world.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote